cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location problems

Gingercatlover
Hooked

Location problems

New to Plusnet and since we switched I can no longer log into my Next account as my phone thinks I’m in America!
Also had my credit card blocked by Natwest and a very embarrassing situation at Tesco as my bank now also think I’m in America. Also having security problems trying to log into online banking.
Looking through previous comments on here it was suggested this is due to the ISP address being registered in America? Is this correct?
Certainly causing me problems and beginning to think we should have stayed with our previous internet provider as this didn’t happen before.
Any help appreciated. Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Location problems

Welcome to the forums, @Gingercatlover This really shouldn't be happening, but to try and help, can you post the first three octets of you IP so I can see where it is actually registered?

This kind of thing happens with PN (and other ISPs) when they buy blocks from other countries, or transfer them amongst their own international group companies, but the geo-location providers these such as your bank, Next et al , use are sometimes a bit lackadaisical in updating their databases, giving rise to situations such as yours.

John
Gingercatlover
Hooked

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
the first three numbers are 192, hope I have that correct!
Gingercatlover
Hooked

Sorry I don’t think I have given you enough numbers there, is it the first eight digits you need?
jab1
Legend

That is not quite enough, no. I need the first 3 of the 4 blocks.

John
Gingercatlover
Hooked

Ok try again 192 168 1 - is that the correct format ?
Thanks
jab1
Legend

Correct  format, @Gingercatlover , but sadly not the one I'm looking for - that looks like your router IP - I actually need your external IPV4 address, which will be somewhere on your routers information pages, but if you have a Plusnet Hub 0 or Hub 1 I'm afraid I can't tell you where it is - I have never used either of those, but if you can hunt round the pages/tabs on your routers information pages you should be able to find it.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @Gingercatlover 

Open a browser and search for what's my IP, this will tell you your wan IP (public) address

Dan

jab1
Legend

Good thinking, @Dan_the_Van . Why didn't I think to include this link in one of my posts? https://www.whatismyip.com/

Doh! must be getting sloppy in my dotage. 😉

John
Gingercatlover
Hooked

I think I have found it - Hopefully 🙂
150 143 130
Thanks
jab1
Legend

@Gingercatlover Having checked, I can't understand why you are having this problem - this IP block appears to belong to 'force9.net', which is a PN 'old' brand.

Check your private messages in 5 minutes.

John
jab1
Legend

@Gingercatlover Okay, just before I go to bed. I've checked your full IP on 5 geolocation sites, all of which give its national location as the UK, but one shows its 'owner' as 'BT Americas' which may be upsetting some sites - it shouldn't, because the location is still shown as UK.

Is it possible to turn your router off for 90 minutes? This may move you to a different IP range which should hopefully be fully located in the UK, but it may not, due to the way PNs IP's are allocated, so it is only a suggested possible fix.

If you do decide to go down this route, I suggest you wait until at least an hour after sunrise, as doing it in the hours of darkness can adversely affect your connection speed.

Keep this thread updated - we will solve it, even if we have to ask for help from some more qualified people.

John
Gingercatlover
Hooked

Ok we will try this.
Again this morning I had to have a one off code to log into online banking as apparently I’m not logging in from my usual location!
Gingercatlover
Hooked

Hi
Just updating - switched off router and have a new isp address - problem solved.
Thanks for your help