cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet speed slow (fibre) while uploading.

FIXED
RobotsForTheWin
Hooked

Internet speed slow (fibre) while uploading.

Hi Plusnet community, 

I've searched but can't seem to find similar posts. 

My internet speeds whilst browsing/streaming/gaming are all fine, screenshot attached.

However, when uploading videos to YT/Vimeo, or backing up Google photos etc., the internet becomes unusably slow; also screenshot attached. It's not a problem I've had with Plusnet before (long-time customer), but it's frustrating as I have a lot of 4k content to upload across a week.  Anytime I'm uploading, the download speeds choke. 

Hoping someone here can help. 

Details - 

Smart Hub 2

PC/iMac/Playstation/Mac Studio connected via Ethernet.

Tests done both with ethernet and wifi. 

Tests done individually on PC, iMac, Mac studio.

I've rebooted the Smart Hub several times and restarted all my machines. 

I've tried the plusnet diagnostic bot but I'm guessing that because I'm not using the Plusnet router it can't automatically reset anything. 

No wifi extenders connected. 
Lots of the usual suspects connected, phones/tablets/smart devices/tvs.

As an aside, considering Asus RT-AX89X with 8 port lan if anyone has experience with that. Just need to know if the price is justified. 

Thanks for reading and suggestions. 

Nils

16 REPLIES 16
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Internet speed slow (fibre) while uploading.

If you are saturating the available upstream bandwidth then you will affect the downstream throughput.

To what extent, depends on how the particular router prioritorises data acks. During download data is needed to be acknowledged periodically, these acks will compete for upstream bandwidth.and if are delayed then that will slow the download. Some routers handle this situation better than others

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobotsForTheWin
Hooked

Thanks for the very fast reply MisterW.

I'm only uploading a single video at a time around 5~8GB in size, via Chrome browser.

Would this already cause saturation of the bandwidth? 

It just seems like I didn't have this issue a while ago and has started occuring in the last year or so. 

Any other users in a similar situation? i.e. uploading content on Plusnet Fibre using Smart Hub 2 and comparable speeds?

Ping 600ms Down 15Mbps Up 0.36Mbps

Sometimes the Down drops to 1Mbps.

Thanks again.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

A router which provides Quality of Service (QoS) to the upload will prevent large uploads impacting download speeds.
A brief look at the RT-AX89X specification suggests it supports QoS.
No doubt QoS will require manual setup.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

In principle that should help. However, you need to be careful with enabling QoS especially on the higher speed full fibre products. Enabling it often increases the amount of processing needed by the router and can reduce its throghput capability

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobotsForTheWin
Hooked

Thanks Richard and MisterW. I'll bear that in mind. 

Might have to dig out the Plusnet router and see if there's any difference. 

The slow-down seems extreme in my case, so anything that can be tried to improve the current situation would be good.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

I agree that implementing QoS on the downstream of a higher speed full fibre package would be beyond the capability of most routers.
I personally think it would be somewhat pointless to implemenet QoS on the downsteam of such a package.
However, I found benefit in implementing QoS on 20 mbps upstream.
It stops the upload from being saturated which stablises ping times and download speeds.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Totally agree. The problem is that many routers have hardware acceleration to enable high throughput. Enabling QoS,  even for upstream only can force the acceleration to be disabled

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Interesting discussion regarding QOS on high speed (FTTP) services but I would just point out that the OP is on an 80/20 FTTC connection.  See the screen shots on the opening post. So no surprise that uploading videos and backing up to the cloud will cause problems by saturating the upload bandwidth.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@RobotsForTheWin wrote:

I'm only uploading a single video at a time around 5~8GB in size, via Chrome browser.

Would this already cause saturation of the bandwidth? 

8GB is 64Gb

Assuming that your upstream bandwidth is 18Mbps, my maths (which can be wrong so do check) tells me that 8GB will fully saturate your upstream bandwidth for about an hour. At the same time you are trying to get in with the ack data from your downloading.

You can only use your bandwidth once so something's got to give.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

@RobotsForTheWin - would be a bit of an 'experiment', but I can try configuring a shaping limit on your upstream if you like? It would artifically cap upstream a little below what it's capable of but with a bit of luck it may prevent saturation of your upstream link.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RobotsForTheWin
Hooked

Thanks Baldrick1, makes sense.

I think my gradual transition from HD to 4k video has pushed files from a point where I wasn't saturating bandwith to where they now clearly are. 

As pointed out, I'm not on the fastest Fibre, apologies if this is in the wrong sub forum. Hoping Plusnet will roll it out in my area soon.

RobotsForTheWin
Hooked

Hi Bob, thanks for the suggestion!

If it's possible then yes, as long as we can roll it back if it doesn't work out.

How much below the max are you thinking? 

As mentioned in my previous post, either way I'll be waiting for Full Fibre to be available where I live. Those speeds seem more inline with my current needs.  

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hopefully just a couple of mbps, if that.

I've made a change so interested to know what things look like from your side.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RobotsForTheWin
Hooked

Excellent, thanks. Will keep you posted.