Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet failing

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Internet failing

Despite the fact that I remain connected to the internet according to my router etc, it says no internet and  I have to remedy this by switching the router on and off Any ideas  My current connection details have been fine

25 REPLIES 25
stathe
Rising Star

Re: Internet failing

System Up Time 00:31:56
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 177547 192401 0 67932 99746 00:29:35
LAN1 Link down 67353 58325 0 28281 8982 00:31:40
LAN2 100M/Full
LAN3 1000M/Full
LAN4 Link down
WLAN b/g/n 145M 58044 53957 0 20095 11957 00:31:09
WLAN a/n 300M 1419 0 0 221 0 00:31:03

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Link Rate 2428 Kbps 785 Kbps
Line Attenuation 69.5 dB 43.9 dB
Noise Margin 3.3 dB 4.9 dB

stathe
Rising Star

PLease dont alter as it has worked well

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@stathe Looking at those figures, your downstream SNR is much too low for your line attenuation - you need a minimum of 6dB, maybe higher.

I would wait for one of the Help Team to pick this up and carry out some checks.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 397

Looking at those figures, your downstream SNR is much too low for your line attenuation - you need a minimum of 6dB, maybe higher.

@jab1 under normal circumstances, I'd agree, but I suspect this line has had a 3db target SNR set to try and get a half-decent  speed given the line attenuation. The down side , of course, is that it will be subject to the possibility of more errors.

Without the error stats , its difficult to determine whether that is the problem, but this looks a little like more of a DNS problem.

@stathe have you tried setting DNS servers on the pc rather than using the routers ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Good point, @MisterW , but with a line that long, it wouldn't take many errors to drop it? Personally, from previous topics by this OP, I would be looking at an FTTC connection - if available - surely this would be more suitable, unless of course the FTTC cab is so far away as to make it unworkable?

John
stathe
Rising Star

It seems internet is still connected but no Plusnet I am not able to get any other

sevice

stathe
Rising Star

Unfortunately I dont understand

stathe
Rising Star

Mister W you are right about my speeds and it works well most of the time so dont want it altered

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

@stathe wrote:

Despite the fact that I remain connected to the internet according to my router etc, it says no internet and  I have to remedy this by switching the router on and off Any ideas  My current connection details have been fine

Can you please clarify the message?

• What indicates that you are still connected?
  • Whilst "it" says no internet?

Are these the same "it" or different "its"?

What says "no internet"?  Your PC?  A web browser?

Which router are you using?

What OS is the PC running (if it is the PC / web browser reporting "no internet")?

There are a multitude of circumstances which can give rise to the not so clear statement of symptoms, including, but not limited to...

• Noise on the line
  • Faulty exchange equipment
  • Overloaded back haul
  • Failing router
  • WiFi drop outs
  • DNS issues - notable with certain router and OS combinations

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket (ideally this should be a corded phone). The line should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below. NB: You need to put your LANDLINE NUMBER after "PHONE" [missing instruction].

As @jab1 has suggested, this is a very long line at the very limit of ADSL viability - it really is flying by the seat of the pants!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

@jab1 is correct the SNR is set too low for the line and DLM has reset it to what it should be. 

Try it at 6db for now and let us know if the issue is still there. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
stathe
Rising Star

The reason it is set so low was to give me a half decent signal I fear that at 6 it will be too slow 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @stathe, how are things looking for you today in terms of speeds and stability? I've checked and can see the connection has been up for just over 24 hours now which is good to see.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
stathe
Rising Star

I have been through this many times (in my previous Notes no doubt )  I have internet connection but Plusnet disconnects despite still having internet connection, yes .

I then switch of the router and on again

after a minute or so and all is well until maybe tomorrow

stathe
Rising Star

Yes with it set at 3. or thereabouts it stays on but the litle fan on devices is there with a very tiny cross beside it I dont want this raised or I wont be able to do anything  We are in the sticks here along way from boxes or exchange