Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Fault

OldTrees
Dabbler

Intermittent Fault

Hi,

A recent fault has developed which I've notified to Plusnet but I'm unclear if it has been reported to Openreach/BT for further investigatiopn.

I asked if it has been and received this is my open questions:

[Internal]
Fault ID: 759435 was created
- Fault start date was added and set to 26-06-2022
- Service affected was added and set to Broadband
- Fault symptom was added and set to Intermittent
- Engineer visit was added and set to No

Does this mean it is being investigate or it isn't?

Thanks

Jeff

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Intermittent Fault

@OldTrees Welcome to the forum. It appears from that ticket that no engineer visit (to your house) has been arranged, but it may just mean the rectification can be carried out externally. What exactly is the nature of the fault?

John
OldTrees
Dabbler

Thanks,

Last week my connection started to disconnct and reconnect randomly.  On reconnection the line speed varied considerably  and wildly whilst being tested by a live speed test. In other words it not only showed a stable speed whilst testing but also a woildly cchanging speed whilst connected but most of the time the speed test showed no connection when the router still showed as being connected to the Openreach netwrok. 

It isn't a wifi issue because the problem persists with the PC connected directly by wire to the router.  The router isn't disconnecting to the network because the "Total Network Uptime" shows an unbroken connection and it normally zeros if it is a router-led disconnect.  I have tried several routers to see whether it might be setting or firmware issues but the same problem persists over all routers I use.  I use BT Smart Hub 6's which I buy new and sealed and I have used several fresh out of the box.  The same problem with all of them and with the Plusnet supplied router. I have tried countless manual disconnects and reconnects.  The router also shows:

BT Broadband
BT Infinity
BT Infinity 3 and 4 :                  BT Infinity

Downstream sync speed:      69.63 Mbps

Upstream sync speed: 9.51 Mbps

And this shows as being the current connect data when there is no internet connection.

I have checked the cable from the router - whiuch cannot move and hasn't moved and that's fine.  To me it seems most likely that this is an outside issue.  The last time it happened was a faulty "pole" connection.

The plusnet support chap I spoke to promised he would open a BT/Openreach fault but it seems he didn't? Or can you tell that he has opened an openreach ticket?

Can you help please as my mobile data is bankrupting! Smiley

Thanks

Jeff

jab1
Legend

@OldTrees As you say, Jeff, this sounds very much like an upstream (BT network) problem, which probably explains the 'no engineer' comment.

Unfortunately, I am only a Community member (not even with PN any more), so there is little I can do, but hopefully one of the Help Team (PN staff) who patrol the forum will pick this up in the very near future.

Sorry there is no more I can do.

John
OldTrees
Dabbler

Thanks for trying John,

Hopefully as you say someone may help!

OldTrees
Dabbler

For some reason this issue on this thread shows as fixed  - when it isn’t!

How do I unfix it please?  Do I need to post it again?

Thanks.

Jeff

jab1
Legend

@OldTrees I can't remember - been a while since I've marked a post as 'fixed', but can you not click on the 'this mixed my problem' banner and 'unfix' it?

John
OldTrees
Dabbler

Thanks, no I tried it.

I am useless at most things it seems!

Jeff

jab1
Legend

OK - I'll ask one of the mods to amend it for you.

John
OldTrees
Dabbler

Many thanks John