Intermittent And Substantial Latency & Packet Loss

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Intermittent And Substantial Latency & Packet Loss

24x7.
What is the sample interval?
We are looking for variations in SNRM, both US and DS.  Transitions might last lest than a minute, but could be enough t bring down xDSL.
Changes in synch speed are clear indications of a change in xDSL sessions.
If you cannot get RS working, there are some other good tools listed at the bottom of this page - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

karlr
Dabbler

SNMP root will allow me to monitor SNRM and up and down sync rates as reported by the router. It is also able to to show max attainable rate which I've added in case its useful.
Description of legend:
adslAturCurrSnrMgn.4 -  Noise Margin as seen by this ATU with respect to its received signal in tenth dB.  (Blue line)
adslAturChanCurrTxRate.4 - Actual transmit (TX) rate (Red Line)
adslAtucChanCurrTxRate.4 - Actual receive (RX) rate (Green Line)
adslAturCurrAttainableRate.4 -  Indicates the maximum currently attainable data rate by the ATU.  This value will be equal or greater than the current line rate. (Purple Line)
I've plotted the whole dataset in Excel to make it easier to compare but you can have the individual graphs from the monitor tool if the are more useful (they show nothing different)
Is this what you are looking for? If so I can set it to run for a longer period of time if needed.
I cannot successfully setup TBBBQM unfortunately though I have tried. Using TBB;s tracert function it stops somewhere in plusnets infrstructure without reaching my end IP (WAN side ping response is enabled). Could be related to dynamic IP?
karlr
Dabbler

Incidentally I used something similar to MRTG from the link in your previous post. I wasn't planning to take a crash course in SNMP and remote network monitoring today so lets hope it pays off.  Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Karl,
That's a good start - the fun will come this evening after dusk and when people (neighbours) are home... keep an eye on the DS SNRM in the first instance.
What is the sample interval please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

karlr
Dabbler

Data interval is 5s.
I've been monitoring the ping in the background and have been able to compare SNRM at times when latency and packet loss are particularly bad. SNRM remains constant and the line is stable.
I've left the monitor running. It will have a fair bit of data by the time I come to analyse it tomorrow morning.
karlr
Dabbler

Collected a massive dataset for linestats but I can summarise it without needing to post the graph as SNRM = 6 and RX rate = stable. From a latency perspective, Monday was a pretty rubbish day but SNRM and RX rate were constant. Given that latency has been stable since then at sub 100ms my guess is that the problem was in fact a temporarily overloaded gateway or network perhaps as a result of additional traffic over the holiday period. Reading a few other posts that are reporting the same issues there are a couple of comments acknowledging something similar and indicating that steps are being taken to increase capacity. All of this is good news but I have a couple of points by way of feedback for Plusnet:
1. I'm a reasonable human being so just tell me whats going on especially if you have a solution already in the pipeline. I could have avoided spending a massive amount of time trying to rectify things at my end as your own network stats would have shown the problem quite clearly (i learnt something from taking a crash course in network monitoring with SNMP).
2. Don't make promises with your service level that you can't keep. Having logged 2 separate faults at your request I have on both occasions heard nothing back within your prescribed 48-72hr response window or at all for that matter. This alone would be reason for me to change provider as I can't abide poor customer service. Not to return the call at all is down right disrespectful.
I'll leave the stats running for another week or so to make sure the problem doesn't re-occur. Now that I know how its pretty easy to turn them on and off at least.
@ Townman - Thanks for trying to help. I've learnt something that will stand me in good stead for future occurences of poor connection should there be any.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Karl,
You are welcome.  I hope that what you've established will be useful in the future.  Sometimes you have to do things to prove where a problem is not.  Cheesy
Kevin