Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use the WPS function ?

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

How do I use the WPS function ?

Hi all
I altered the settings for wireless so that new users can only connect via registration.
When I press the 'WPS' button, it starts flashing red. Is it at that time when I'm supposed to enter the password key ? - if it is, then it just doesn't seem to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
BTW, how do I turn the flashing WPS function off ? - I pressed it more than once and nothing happened.
12 REPLIES 12
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: How do I use the WPS function ?

WPS isn't secure, so the best thing to do is to disable it...
Cagney1994
Rising Star

I understand but it would be nice to know how to use it.
mattturner
Grafter

What you do is press the button on the router,
Then press 'the button' on your client device.
Then you're connected  Smiley
'The button' on your client device may be hard to find! On an Android phone it is under the Wifi settings menu.
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Hi Matt.
I'm trying to connect via a laptop. After I press the WPS button, it starts to flash red. Is that when I'm supposed to enter the WIFI password ?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

WPS should mean that you don't have to enter the password. Looks from this page: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/Windows7/UserTips/Miscellaneous/ConnecttoaWi-FiNe... that it's a matter of just telling the laptop to connect to the wireless shortly after you push the button on the router Smiley
Cagney1994
Rising Star

But I've altered the setting in 'Home Network' so that new stations have to register before being connected. You can't connect without the WIFI password. I just need to know how this can be done - i.e is it as soon as the WPS is flashing red ?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you put the password in there's no need for the WPS button - the whole point of that is so that you can connect to the wireless network without needing to enter the password. If you have a look at the link I posted it explains that WPS actually sends the password to the client device so that you don't need to put it in. That's what WPS does.
So either you're using it and don't need the password, or you have the password and don't need WPS.
Hope that clears things up?
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Ok, thanks Matt. Maybe it's because I had an 02 router before and the setup was very similar to that of PN.
I'll give it a go and see what happens.
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Unfortunately it still hasn't worked.
And I'm kinda puzzled as to what the function of the WPS is (if not to be able to pair a device) ?
When I had the 02 Wireless Box II, all I had to do was press the WIFI button once, it flashed for about a minute and it was within that time limit that I had to put the password into the device (be it a laptop, IPOD or anything else).
How come there's no similar action for the PN router ?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There's a guide on precisely this here: http://community.plus.net/library/networking/controlling-wireless-access-on-the-tg582n/
Sorry I'd not linked to it before, stupidly I'd not even thought to look. That shows you how to register a device on there once you've put it into registration mode - hope that helps?
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Thanks for the link, Matt Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries at all, hope it helped you get things sorted?