cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move x2

Mav
Fixes: 516

Re: House move x2

OK, I'll see what I can come up with. Obviously need to eliminate any prossible software/hardware issue with the Thomson re the large amount FEC of FEC DL errors (currently runninmg at 47,901,763 after 23 hours).
But, thikning about it, wouldn't many others also be reporting such issues as it can't be a one-off as I have tried two?
Edit: I may still have my old SAR130 - it's a modem and not a router but would that help in any way? I'll see if I can find it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mav

Just a quick update:
I have purchased a second-hand DG834G v3 from ebay. If this helps maintain a more stable and higher synced line then I'll probably buy a new one. BTW once received should the firmware be updated?
Meanwhile it resynced this moring from 5358 to 4686 but UL increased slightly to 1032.
Att has remained at 45dB but S/N has increased to 9 where it had been at 6-6.5 for the last week.
Still concerned at syncing so low when someone in this thread (also on 21CN) is syncing much higher but with a ATT only marhinally lower than mine!
Also, if it is a problem with the Thompson 585 per se how come there doesn't seem to be anyone else experiencing the same - at least, not here?
Thanks agin for all the support Smiley

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Mav

The DG834Gv3 arrived this morning but no documentation or CD. I assume it's pretty simple to setup manually and have downloaded the manual from Netgear's website.
But, is there anything I should know specifically to setup this router with PN?
Thanks Smiley

James
Grafter

Hi Mav,
It's all generic settings apart from your username and password.  It should be relatively easy to setup.
Was there no insert sheet inside the box?
Mav

Nope - just the router and power adaptor - You gets what you pays for (£6.55 + P&P) lol
I would have thought it is simple enough - just wondered how I can ensure it's configured for ADSL2+. The manual I dl'ed doesn't show this and a Google search hasn't yet been successful Sad

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

If you really want to control it in detail download the DGTeam firmware for it. http://dgteam.ilbello.com/
If you want to use Netgear firmware make sure it has the latest version for proper ADSL2+ support.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just a quick one as I'm upto my neck at the moment, several 585v7's are showing very very high FEC levels. Don't know if it's a bug or what yet.
Mav

Yes - I was still getting those - both on ADSL2 & 2+.
The high FEC levels seems to appear suddenly between 5 & 10 minutes after a reboot then never increase after that.
That's one of the reasons I got the netgear to see if it's a line problem here or the router.
NetGear connected, factory reset, blah, blah and all is well and even got the wireless part to work first time Smiley
Stats so far:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4998 kbps 1004 kbps
Line Attenuation 46 db 13 db
Noise Margin 9 db 6 db

I now need to find my way around the Netgear to get all the relevent info and set it up with RouterStats. Can't see, yet, where the reported FEC and other such errors can be found or how to ensure it is set for ADSL2+.
As previously mentioned, I am certain I should get a much higher sync rate with an Att of 46 as have some others with similar stats.
Edit: Forgot to mentioned I have upgraded to latest firnware - v4.01.40.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Mav
Can't see, yet, where the reported FEC and other such errors can be found

On the Telnet pages of RouterStats (setting that up is a doddle for a Netgear).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mav

Thanks - I'll do some research and get RouterStats set up.
Probably be sometime tomorrow, tho'.
Cheers all Smiley

Mav

Decided to sort out routerstats tonight but have mat a problem (I am following the video tutorial on the RouterStats web page).
I am assuming that the URL of the 'stats page' is the small window that opens when you click on 'Show Statistics' from the Router Status' page?
Having copied and pasted the URL no results are shown & GetPage appears to do nothing - not even an error (I have entered the correct ID and password for the router).
Edit1: Tried versions 5.0c, 5.1c & 5.2e Sad
Edit2: OK - solved - seems I should have left the URL to the default  - now using 5.2e

Mav

Just saved a grab of the downstream S/N for the better knowledged than me to view.
What other graphs would be needed to ascertain if and where any problems/issues lay?
Edit: Added a more recent DL S/N graph.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well that looks like a noisy connection - you definitely can't hear anything on your phone line?
Mav

I'm going to get a non-DECT phone and try with that and also plug it into the master socket with & without filter and report beack.
Meanwhile, I have uploaded a pic of the Telnet summary showing that I am still getting high FEC errors (currently almost 1200 per sec) - the up times is a few minutes over 6 hours. THis, possibly, rules out any issue with the Thomson?

Mav

I have just performed a few Quiet Tests (17070):
Firstly, I disconnected all phones and router and plugged a non-DECT phone into the master socket. I could hear a faint hiss but nothing too loud.
Then I plugged the BT MF50 filter into the master socket and then just the phone and heard a faint buzz. Added the router and still the same.
I then disconnected the BT MF50 and used the original D-Link filter (mentioned previously) and just got the faint hiss which was the same with the router plugged back in.
I have now left the D-Link filter connected.
The last reconnected of the router caused it to re-synced at a low 4688 whereas I was synced at just over 5000 when I rebooted this morning.
The latest S/N from Router Stats is attached.
Hope the above is of some help.