cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency on Xbox One

eternalepoch

High latency on Xbox One

Hi,
My Xbox One is reporting really high latency in the range of ~180ms, and recently many online games are just disconnecting me (as opposed to just being laggy)
All the obvious stuff has been done (router in primary socket, Xbox is wired etc) so I spoke to an agent today and we ran some line tests.
The test the agent ran indicated no faults:
"There are no errored seconds, or HEC errors on the line at all"

The test I ran on my computer returned a latency of ~70ms, which still isn't great but is a lot better than the Xbox One is reporting which is odd. Obviously I don't know which servers the tests were being run against but I wouldn't expect that to make that big a difference.
Also, the up/down speeds being reported by my computer test and the Xbox One test are basically the same, it's just the latency that is quite different.
Has anyone experienced problems specifically with the Xbox One or has any advice for lowering my latency?
Thanks,
Chris
5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: High latency on Xbox One

Are you on about the ping shown when you go into detailed network statistics?
I believe the Xbox one pings a server in America rather then Europe.
I have pings of around 20 to 30ms and get a similar time to what you get.
Your line tests fine as well. Is your computer connecting over a wired or wireless connection?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
eternalepoch

I am yes.
I know there are some Microsoft Azure servers in Ireland, I just kind of assumed it would be hitting those. You make a good point thought, it sounds reasonable (albeit stupid) it would be testing against servers in NA. I'll see if I can find out which servers it's testing against.
My computer was wired when I originally performed the test, running it again wirelessly I get about the same (~70ms).
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

What servers were you pinging then?
Any chance you can attach a traceroute?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
eternalepoch

I just tried contacting Microsoft support to see if I could find out what servers the xbox was testing against and they were literally no help. The test I ran on my computer was from a link the Plusnet agent sent me, some BT Wholesale test site, so no idea what servers that would have been hitting either but I doubt it would have been outside the UK.
Using speedtest.net and hitting a server in Portland (West coast of NA) I get a ping of ~150ms which is closer to that reported by the xbox but still lower.
Maybe my problem isn't the latency but my upload speed? It's being reported as ~0.3 (by both Xbox and computer speed tests) and the Microsoft help article recommends at least 0.5.
A traceroute of what exactly, the computer or Xbox test?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Try a traceroute to a website such as BBC just to see if your general latency is high.
Due to you only being on ADSL (20CN) you won't get better upload unless you move onto Fibre which is available in your area.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team