cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with router DSL settings

taidi
Dabbler

Help with router DSL settings

I have a Tenda TWL548D wireless router/modem that has some unfamiliar settings on the DSL set-up page I would be grateful for some advice about.
Enable Quality Of Service ....Select or not ?
Service Category...I have to select one - default seems to be the selected 'UBR without PCR'
UBR without PCR
UBR with PCR
CBR
Realtime VBR
Non-Realtime VBR
VLAN Mux - Enable Multiple Protocols Over a Single PVC.....currently not selected.
Authentication Method:  (currently Auto is selected)
Auto
PAP
CHAP
MSCHAP
PPP IP extension...currently not selected.
Dial on demand (with idle timeout timer)...currently not selected.
I also found a firmware update for the router but I think I'll pass on that as I can't see how to install it. WPA/WPA2 is already available and it seems to be working fine.
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: Help with router DSL settings

You can download the user manual from here http://www.tenda.cn/downloads/show.php?itemid=329
Not a router I've seen before but looking at the manual , I'd go through the 'fast setup' , select the country as UK, configure it for PPPOA and just accept the defaults. The manual tells you how to do the firmware update, its pretty close to the end.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

taidi
Dabbler

Thanks for the link to that manual, I had already downloaded it.  It's impossible to select a 'Country or Region' in the 'fast set-up' as there's nowt in the drop down lists !!, - but I pretty much followed my nose and got it connected even ignoring those settings I queried.
Seems to be working fine with Plusnet and a steady wireless connection so I'll not tinker with it any further.
It was a bargain basement item from Ebuyer a couple of years ago apparently and been stuck in a friend's cupboard ever since 'cos he couldn't get it to work.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

so I'll not tinker with it any further

Always a good idea, as they say 'if it aint broke, don't mess with it!'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.