cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Fibre FTTP delayed again?

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Full Fibre FTTP delayed again?

2021, summer 2021, autumn 2021, spring 2022...

Now later 2022 

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/01/broadband-isp-plusnet-uk-confirm-fttp-to-launch-later-...

I think I'll just leave. I've been a customer for years, paying full price £35 contract for 3 years thinking I can then jump to FTTP.

Cables outside my house for over 5 years and never told about the FTTP trial.

BT business with static IP is now only £35 with VAT.

I really wanted to stick with PN but it's just getting stupid now.

66 REPLIES 66
PaPow
Dabbler

Re: Full Fibre FTTP delayed again?

Feel your pain. We've had the Fibre outside our house for years now. We live in a tiny village so was a massive surprise for us when the FTTP arrived and the only other option for us is ADSL at about 6 Mbps because of the distance from the exchange.

I've got a 50TB media server downloading the kids youtube channels and any things we would otherwise stream during the night so they are not hogging the connection during the day.

I've been hanging on as I have been a very happy Plusnet customer for about 14 years now but the lack of an FTTP option is getting ridiculous now. I stumbled across your post whilst checking for any news on FTTP and whilst waiting for another massive (on 6Mbps) game update. Grrrr.

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Very much the same as us, plusnet customer for about 20 years! Our connection is around 13mb. Ouch, 6mb is painful especially with kids, YouTube etc!
It’s so annoying when the cables sit right outside! We are in the countryside near a village too.
I really don’t get why plusnet are holding back, all I can assume is BT are keeping them restricted.
I heard the backend systems need updating for fttp but still haven’t been done.

Good honest broadband from Yorkshire. It’s about time they were honest when fttp will be available, just say it as it is. Be what they say they are, honest.
YouKnowIThatGuy
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

FTTP is not something an ISP like PlusNet can guarantee since it's all OpenReach infrastructure.

I've had the option of FTTP for years now, but it's Virgin that were providing it and I just don't want to deal with that company.

Maybe the cables outside your house are also Virgin or Sky?

Also, the article writer in your link seems to have a personal issue with PlusNet,

skipping past the reality of infrastructure funding and directly onto blame the ISP.

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

The cables outside my house are openreach 900mb fttp.
Plusnet is a BT company like EE

(No Virgin here, it’s countryside!)
YouKnowIThatGuy
Rising Star

I'll say it again...

PlusNet cannot guarantee FTTP. It's a matter of infrastructure. That infrastructure is ran by OpenReach.

PlusNet ran an FTTP trial in 2018.

The uptake was low.

FTTP is expensive to implement.

Come to your own conclusions.

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

It seems to be you with the problem.
I’m not thick. Stop intimidating.

I’ve run a web company with servers for 20 years and I’m in web development myself.

I’m well aware. There’s no need to reiterate your points. Thank you.
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

You also missed the point the thread was started for. Previous statements on fttp availability.

Do some of your own homework on why fttp hasn’t yet been implemented. Plusnet is the cheaper end of the BT group.
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Also the uptake of the trial…
Some of us with cables were not told and actual people who could get fttp at the time was low.
Work out why uptake was low.

Add that to the fact that many people in better areas could get up to 60-70meg on normal fibre extra.

Some of us can only get under 15meg.
Fttp has more awareness now and people are starting to understand full fibre and fttp.
PaPow
Dabbler

Same here, openreach fibre.

I have certainly got no problems with Plusnet which is why I am still willing to wait for them to offer an FTTP package, just wish they would hurry up with it (fibres been outside my house for about 2 and a half years). If I was unhappy with their service I would have jumped to Zen some time ago, almost did, got the Mrs convinced 500Mbps would be a great idea then Plusnet offered me ADSL, evening and weekend calls and line rental for the equivalent of £10.03 a month (after reward card and referrals) and my inner Yorkshireman could not resist. 🐵

I run a number of Site-to-site VPN's to my clients and reliability is more important to me than speed at the moment which is why I am sticking with Plusnet. That is what they have provided me with for 14+ years and I have often highlighted this on Facebook when the comments on their posts are typically just a list of complaints.

YouKnowIThatGuy
Rising Star

It seems to me you just want to complain.

"BT business with static IP is now only £35 with VAT."

There's your solution.

Or do you think some dude high up in PlusNet is going to read this and say:

"Oh, this bloke had a gripe on the forum, so lets implement the FTTP system that we know we just can't afford so he's happy?"

I'm sure they do very well with providing it in the cities whilst providing you out in the sticks with 15mbit/s ADSL for £20!

As do BT, TalkTalk and all the others.

YouKnowIThatGuy
Rising Star

Plusnet is the cheaper end of the BT group.Which is why FTTP hasn’t yet been implemented.

Yes, now you're getting it!

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Someone sure has rattled you tonight 👍
You’re getting nowhere 😉
YouKnowIThatGuy
Rising Star

You're answering your own question whilst asking another question about the answer you already know.

I wonder who could be "rattling" me?

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

I always did get it!

As I said… the original post was regarding the link and further delay.

Good honest yorkshire, we just want a good honest timescale so we can decide should I stay or should I go!

I don’t need sarcasm about men higher up.