Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freguent 'DNS Server not available....'

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Freguent 'DNS Server not available....'

IE11, Windows 7...

For many years had a Netgear 834G modem/router but in recent times when trying to access a Web page there would appear, "Page not available" although lights on the modem were green troubleshooting showed network connection but not internet.

Unplugging the mains from the modem and plugging it back in restored the internet, but in recent times it had to be done more often.

Thinking the modem/router was past its best a Netgear Nighthawk with two wireless channels was purchased, everything fine no dreaded "page not available" messages until last weekend and again this weekend.

As before the modem shows a broadband & internet connection, on troubleshooting it states DNS server not available. Again the solution appears to be to switch the modem off and then back on.

Is there a way to check if its the computers, modem, phone line or broadband provider that is causing the problem. Strange it happens on some days and not others? 

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Freguent 'DNS Server not available....'

Hi there.

Sorry to hear you're having connection issues.

We're seeing more drops than we'd like to see, which has caused your speeds to drop down too, though we're not finding the cause of that. 

xDSL Status Check
Circuit ID: CBUK00000000 Service ID: BBEU00000000
Telephone NO.: NA Test Executed On: 16-12-2018 14:29:02
xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 15.1 34.1
SNR Margin: 7.0 10.8
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 116918 193450
Speed: 1112 10608

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 3424 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 2739
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 86400
Indicative Line Quality: A Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 95
Custom Thresholds
MTBR_RED: MTBE_RED:
MTBR_GREEN: MTBE_GREEN:

If you've tried the steps here I'd recommend reporting a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net

Let us know once you've completed it and we'll be happy to pick it up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
christmas
Aspiring Pro

The modem/router has been connected by the Master test socket for some years. I recall some years ago a similar problem which used to happen around 5pm - 6pm most days.

I'm not sure I understand the graph.

Although not used much yesterday the problem did not occur, for the past 2 weekends it has happened on Friday & Saturday. 

Could a computer left for some time idle connected to the internet cause the internet to be disconnected or is it just coincidence when I return the "page not available" problem arises?

Here's details of obtained from dslchecker.bt.com

via Cabinet 7via Cabinet 7 

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@christmas,

The graph shows your connection over the period of a couple of weeks. Ideally you'd want it to be a solid purple line with no breaks in it. Realistically everyone will see some breaks every now and then - that's normal for connections, some more than others. 

A computer left to go idle shouldn't cause the router to lose the connection to the internet, but it could lose its connection to the router, which in turn could cause the error you're seeing. It might be worth confirming if when you have the issue, and lets say you're on a desktop PC does a different device simultaneously have the exact same problem?

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@JOLO wrote:

@christmas,

The graph shows your connection over the period of a couple of weeks. Ideally you'd want it to be a solid purple line with no breaks in it. Realistically everyone will see some breaks every now and then - that's normal for connections, some more than others. 

Thanks for the info, I still don't fully understand the graph. I assume the graph shows a disconnect from 14:30 - 24:00 on Sun 16 Dec and 00:00 - 00:06 on Sat 08 Dec.

2 PC's & printer are connected by cable to the Modem/Router everything else, phones tablets, notepads & TV's connect via wifi. When the problem occurred last week the other PC could not see the internet either but the PC's could see the network and each other.

As it appears to be OK at the moment, I'll wait to report a fault for when it happens again. 

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

No problem, @christmas

Just give us a nudge if/when you raise a fault and we'll ensure it's picked up for you.

Best wishes

Dave