Did you mean: 

Fibre - fault causing slower speed?

FIXED
beepitybeepbeep
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Fibre - fault causing slower speed?

Hi there,

Moved house back in April. Previous vendors used to get a download rate of 72mbps. Running through PN's tool, it also estimates 64-72Mbps rate.

However, current line speed is at 61.6Mbps and downloading at around 58-59Mbps which I think is somewhat low (although not as low as my minimum guaranteed speed of 46.6 which is set insanely low)? Can someone check if there's anything on the line that's causing this, and perhaps do a reset... ?

I've attached the speedtest.btwholesale.com test that I ran just now. However, on trying to run the 'further diagnostics' and typing in my phone number, I get an error stating:

".... however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. .." Hence my question to you! Smiley

Just to confirm: The cabinet I'm connected to is literally line of sight/a hundred metres away - I'm plugged in via ethernet, all other traffic switched off, no background processes etc., static IP and using a Netgear R7000 router.

Help appreciated! Thanks!

22 REPLIES 22
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre - fault causing slower speed?

Hi there and I'm really sorry about the slow speeds you've been experiencing. I've just been taking a look into it and line tests aren't showing signs of any obvious issues. Could you try following these checks as your next step? https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
beepitybeepbeep
Dabbler

Thanks for getting back @adamwalker ...

Just to confirm that I've run through all those checks (again) - am using master socket, router has been reset too (and on latest firmware) etc...

But problem still exists / speed remains the same (i.e. approx 59Mbps download rate... whereas anticipating approx 72Mbps...)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I've tested your line and the tests aren't showing any issues with your router getting a sync speed of 64mbps. It is just below our suppliers estimated speed range for your line of 65.4mbps to 80mbps though shown Here.

Before arranging an Openreach engineer visit to investigate further, is it possible for you to try a different modem/router? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
beepitybeepbeep
Dabbler

Fix

@Gandalf Thanks Anoush,

Just to update that I've had my profile reset by PN and this fixed the problem - now downloading around 72-74Mbps instead of ~59Mbps. Thanks!

beepitybeepbeep
Dabbler

@Gandalf Anoush, I spoke too soon! Sad

The speed has reverted back to around 59Mbps today. Are you able to run a check on my line to see how stable it is? I've not noticed any drops so not sure why it's suddenly dropping back to what it was. Thanks!

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

I'm really sorry to hear this, I have checked the speed and it is showing as 65Mbps on our side. Testing is not flagging up anything either, can I check if the speed you are seeing is on a wired or wireless connection? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
beepitybeepbeep
Dabbler

Hi @SammyM , yes it's a wired connection.

Can you see the 'drop' in speed that occurred over the last few days? Any ideas what would have caused it since the line noise was reset, if there's nothing flagging up as unstable?

Thx for your help!

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

I have changed the speed profile on the account again, can you reboot the router and run a test again? 

There isn't anything flagging up that would cause this so it's a case of eliminating things. 

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
beepitybeepbeep
Dabbler

Hey @SammyM 

Have rebooted router and run test - but this time still showing circa 59-60Mbps Sad

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there, I've just run a test on your line and that shows that the speeds have lifted to about 64mpbs so it looks like DLM is doing it's job. Have you noticed any improvement on your side?

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
beepitybeepbeep
Dabbler

Hey @adamwalker , just ran some tests and still downloading around 60Mbps atm (wired connection / no background processes and wifi switched off), so still way short of the 72-74Mbps we had previously, so something still not right I'm afraid.

Ta

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there, sorry to see that your connection speeds aren't right yet. I've just tried running a line test but it shows me that the router is either unplugged or powered off at the moment. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
beepitybeepbeep
Dabbler

@adamwalker yes, sorry - on holibobs at the moment so turned off the electrics to save a few pennies... will get back to you once I'm back if that's ok Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Cool. No worries, have a good holiday!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet