Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC with TG582n not fit for purpose

Biomech
Dabbler

Re: FTTC with TG582n not fit for purpose

To add;
I'm running wireless on CH6 (the only other network around is on CH1). And the router is reporting "Actual Speed 65Mbps". When I changed to CH12, that dropped to 19.5Mbps.
My TV is 10 meters from the router and has clear line of sight - the TV shows a signal strength of 65%
Eth into the router - maximum speeds, great stability. But unusable as my FTTC socket is next to my front door.
You can't tell me that this is correct.
james26
Grafter

So it's rubbish Plusnet won't do anything, got it free anyhow. What to buy? Thinking airport express or would a extreme be better? Really don't think a repeater going to work all that well. I live in a large house before I had two netgear boxes running wds mode in G mode which is fine if not a little roughy at times.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Biomech
But unusable as my FTTC socket is next to my front door.

You could use powerline plugs to connect the router to the modem and hence have the router where you needed, or use powerline plugs from the router where it is to one of your old routers which you could reconfigure to be a wireless access point.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Biomech
Dabbler

You could use powerline plugs to connect the router to the modem and hence have the router where you needed, or use powerline plugs from the router where it is to one of your old routers which you could reconfigure to be a wireless access point.

I've always been weary of powerline connections - I don't know why. I'm thinking maybe try a new router first, what do you think? Any suggestions as to what would be best?
Biomech
Dabbler

Just to update everyone;
The TG582n was giving me drops outs, connection fails, between 6-20mbps when my line was 40 and signal loss at 10% per meter from the router.
I've just put in a new router - TP Link WDR4300 - and I'm getting 37mbps of the 40, 2 rooms away over wireless.
So put me in the TG582n is a useless POS camp. Smiley
james26
Grafter

In the end I last week bought a Appel Airport, fab worth ever £! fast and wi-fi works ALL over my my house and slowest speed of 25mb
bobje

Upgraded form adsl 20megs to fibre 80/20, now on to my second TG582n router. Main problems are poor wireless speeds 32/22megs dl hard wired okay at 70/72megs, but getting regular dropouts. This is the alst reply from Plusnet:-
I can confirm you have exhausted all troubleshooting options, assuming the notes that I have been provided in this ticket are correct.
The only option you have is to try another router, but we will cannot supply it as we do not have any other models.
The problem you are experiencing must be caused by some interference at your end. Myself and many other colleagues, as well as 1000's of customers use those routers without problem. As you have tried two routers, I cannot imagine the same fault exists on both routers.
I am sorry we cannot of more assistance on this occasion.
Would any of the 1000`s of satisfied customers care to add their comments. Had I been made aware of the limitations of this particular router I would have purchased my own in the first place
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: bobje
as well as 1000's of customers use those routers without problem.

Are the thousands of customers running those routers on fibre and successfully using it wireless at speeds in excess of 20Mbps? (I'll pickle my walnuts if that's the case!)
Or have they confirmed that the 1000's can do PC to PC transfers on their LAN at speeds in excess of 20MBps?
If the 1,000's refers to ADSL1/2/2+ customers it's not a valid comparison.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
prettyflyguy
Grafter

Wireless signal on mine is terrible 1 bar less than 8ft away with laptop, leave the room and its non existent.
I have tried different channels and no better.  Mind you speeds on it wired are not great either
BT wholesale speed tester and TBB speed test between 14Mb-40(ish) Mb.  If i connect direct to the BT modem I get around 67Mb  Undecided
On my netgear DG834GT with O2 great signal throughout the house all solid brick walls.
I also have the O2 supplied wireless box 5 (re-branded TG582N) and this strangely has has a stronger signal and range than the Plusnet supplied 582N
inhost
Grafter

Despite the fact many of the excuses and misdirection plusnet used to claim this was simply a cost effective and cheap router so much should not be expected of it, when asking to cancel they wat £40 for it making the total price £45 which is beyond mid range pricing.
This router is absolute pants, just use a block of cheese instead you will get better bandwidth and better support than the people at plusnet.
jslane
Grafter

Can't you send it back so you don't need to pay the £40?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

They don't want them back, I think they did a Delboy on them and have a warehouse full of them. Undecided
Graham21
Grafter

Au contraire my hairy friend, I have asked several times to get these back. We even created postage paid bags to send them directly to me. If it's faulty, I'll send a new one back. I will tell you all that I've never managed to get one back that had a Wi-Fi issue. I would definitely expect this router to do 60-80 Mb/s in the same room provided the access device is up and subject to the usual limitations of Wi-Fi. 
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well when I had my issues, I OFFERED to return it, James told me that PN don't want them back,
Now I just keep it incase I have to prove to PN that the issue is with something other than MY router.
There have been several of us vocal on here about the poor wifi coverage and throughput of these routers, yet you claim they are fine. The one I had previously, would give a MUCH POORER signal than the BT hub across the road on my devices in the very next room with only ONE SOLID wall between them, compared to 2 walls and 20+M distance, now if that isn't poor what is your definition?
At a massive distance of 6 FEET and one wall, the signal was so poor that I got dropouts. I now use a Netgear N300 (which I believe you supplied at one point) and have no issues, anywhere in the house or garden.
Maybe in a modern house with plasterboard walls the issues will be not as bad, but I don't live there I live in a house build 50+ years ago.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I will tell you all that I've never managed to get one back that had a Wi-Fi issue. I would definitely expect this router to do 60-80 Mb/s in the same room

Yes Graham 21, "IN THE SAME ROOM".  Angry  What use is a wireless router if the signal deteriorates when it tries to go through a wall or a floor? I'm not saying that all of them are useless but both of the ones I received certainly are. I'm still trying to decide what to convert them into.  Undecided