cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC order

Devonian
Grafter

Re: FTTC order

BTOR have just been and signed the job off.
Initially he found no errors whilst testing the line.
He then tried the test whilst making a phone call, and the errors went sky high.
That confused him a little, so he went out and tested from the cab.
He then terminated and reconnected the line, then checked the rest of the network.
When he came back, he performed a line test and there are currently no errors showing.
He connected his test router, and the line sync'd at 56meg.
He connected my router, and it sync'd at 43meg
He then replaced the modem incase it was faulty, and it sync'd at the same speed.
So, he thinks that a line reset will see the modem sync at the higher speed, and said he will request PlusNet does a line reset, as he can't do that.
Over all, he is pleased with the quality of the line, and thinks he has solved the problem.
Time will tell of course!
But he was here nearly 3 hours, and was a very pleasant chap, and I am happy he has tried his best.
So if PlusNet can reset my line, we can go from there.
1 thing I will ask though, is why the latency/ping is so high?  I am getting around 38/40 mark?
Current speed :  
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Our suppliers will more than likely uncap your line, however, this will need to be passed to a different team to sort this out.
Due to your line being aluminum from your PCP to DP it explains why the line isn't reaching the speeds it should do and makes it more susceptible to erroring. When the line experiences many errors interleaving will be turned on and there isn't any way that we can alter that. There may not be much improvement that can be made there I'm afraid.
Our Faults team will continue to monitor this on Ticket: 84605013 for you and provide any further information on there.
Devonian
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Linn.
The engineers test modem sync'd at 56/20 which is my estimate, and it was showing as error free, so I can't see why my modem shouldn't be able to sync at the same?
I understand about the aluminium.. it was causing all kinds of problems with the ADSL broadband.. why on earth it wasn't replaced when the cab was is beyond me.
What is my modem sync'd at now then, and is interleaving still off?
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's showing as 46.5 and this looks like the best your line is going to achieve at a stable rate. The engineer will more than likely have performed a DLM reset and that's why when they initially tested your line it synced at 56Mbps. What will have happened is that the line will have banded at a lower rate due to the line erroring which has reduced your sync rate to 46.5 which is the most it can achieve for the line to be stable.
Interleaving is on and that isn't something that we can change as this is automatically turned on by the DLM. To be honest, it's probably for your benefit as if it was turned off your connection would be fairly un-usable.
Devonian
Grafter

So where are these errors coming from then?
They weren't showing on the engineers test kit when he left? 
The line also wasn't erroring before I changed to fibre, so if errors are now showing again, since the engineer visited and closed the fault, and it is affecting the speed on my line, then there must be still a fault surely?
I just can't understand how I could go from an excellent line, running happily with no drops for months, with interleaving off, and the SNR down to 3, then the second I swapped to fibre I get all these errors, and a degraded service.
I would have been better staying on ADSL and not giving up my discount, which means I'm paying £15 a month more?
There's no point having more speed if it's taking twice as long for pages to load, and when they do there's errors.
I'm not having a go, so please don't think I am... I'm just wondering why I bothered to change to fibre
Devonian
Grafter

Todays visit has made no difference at all.  Angry
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

We're not quite sure, further investigation would be needed to identify the exact location on the errors. Given that your D-side is aluminium it's very unlikely that Openreach will locate the interference and would be able to improve the speeds further. VDSL2 uses a higher frequency than that of normal ADSL, this could quite easily make your line more susceptible to Crosstalk/other interference which could be causing the errors on the line.
They weren't showing on the engineers test kit when he left?

The errors could be completely random, the sync rate and banding will only be applied if the line can't cope with higher speeds.
The line also wasn't erroring before I changed to fibre, so if errors are now showing again, since the engineer visited and closed the fault, and it is affecting the speed on my line, then there must be still a fault surely?

as explained above;
VDSL2 uses a higher frequency than that of normal ADSL, this could quite easily make your line more susceptible to Crosstalk/other interference which could be causing the errors on the line.

We wouldn't consider that a fault as Crosstalk is something outside of ours and Openreach's control. Trials are taking place to try and eliminate this.
I would have been better staying on ADSL and not giving up my discount, which means I'm paying £15 a month more?

Unfortunately there are never any guarantees with any connection as to the quality of it. this is an example of a connection that is estimated higher than it can achieve. The reason it can't is due to factors outside of our control, such as having aluminium cabling on the latter part of the network. We do try and provide the best quality service we can, however, we do need to be realistic in situations such as these.
There's no point having more speed if it's taking twice as long for pages to load, and when they do there's errors.

I agree  -we can look at the different options available to you. We can use DLM to our advantage and allow that you manage the errors to provide you with a good quality service. It will mean that your pings may be higher than most lines, however, there's very little we can do about that I'm afraid 😕
Devonian
Grafter

So what are the options then Chris?
Bearing in mind there are 1 xbox and 1 ps4 being used in the evenings quite a bit that and my smart tv, where streaming is used more than live tv, plus various other devices all taking up bandwith.
It seem's pretty unfair that I take a newer, better, service, for it to turn out to be worse because BTOR haven't bothered replacing the old, rubbish infrastructure, and just 'expect' the customer to pay for their shoddy work.
They just shouldn't be selling Fibre if the infrastructure can't run it.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, to be honest, the service is fibre to the Cabinet which is what they are providing. Unfortunately there are never any guarantees that the D-side is going to be of great quality.
Having Interleaving on shouldn't really make too much of a difference, some say it really affects gaming but I can play on any platform with pings up to 80,90,100 without any noticeable issues.
We can change the Policy from the one you're provisioned on for speed to 'Standard' to see if that can deal with the errors for you?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Quote from: Chris

... Given that your D-side is aluminium it's very unlikely that Openreach will locate the interference and would be able to improve the speeds further. VDSL2 uses a higher frequency than that of normal ADSL, this could quite easily make your line more susceptible to Crosstalk/other interference which could be causing the errors on the line.
We wouldn't consider that a fault as Crosstalk is something outside of ours and Openreach's control. Trials are taking place to try and eliminate this.

Chris,
I suggest that these matters are within BTOR's gift to control if they were committed to fixing the problem rather than ducking behind "its within what it is".
Aluminium is considered to be highly undesirable for ADSL, let alone VDSL2.  If this is thought to be the source of the issue, it is with the ability of BTOR to replace the d-side with decent gauge copper.  They might not like the cost, but that does not mean that it is outside their ability to control.  Reading what you wrote at face value, I might conclude that if this were a copper d-side that BTOR would be able to locate the fault.  Would I be being cynical if I understood the above to mean "BTOR realise that aluminium is not up to doing this job and thus would not want to waste their time looking for the problem"?
Aluminium is known to not perform as well as copper, therefore by definition replacing the aluminium with copper will deliver an improvement to speed.
Reading elsewhere on these forums, I've come to understand that cross talk is a product of poor quality cables / joints such that one circuit acquires electrical signals from an adjacent circuit - that is the cabling is in someway defective.  I know how difficult it might be for an ISP (i.e. PN) to get BTOR to fix infrastructure such as this, but it is not outside of BTOR's control to rectify the defects, even if such rectification requires wholesale replacement of the d-side infrastructure.  BTOR are cherry picking the "super-fast broadband" deployment leaving rural users out in the cold.  No matter how good it is at the cabinet, FTTC is never going to be any good for dispersed communities reliant on PP d-side aluminium which was installed as an economy measure a long time before the inception of ADSL, let alone VDSL2.
Is it possible to get the FTTC delivered to the premises via ADSL instead - may be a stupid question, but I'll ask any way.
PN and the user are caught between a rock and a hard place - BTOR are the only people who can address this issue and as ever they are ducking and diving again.  Someone needs to go duck hunting with a 12 bore - sounds like CEO sport to me.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Kevin,
I'm trying to be as realistic as possible here. BT Openreach are unlikely to swap out Aluminium cabling to copper if Aluminium is providing a good service to the majority of it's overall user base. The engineer notes state that the service speeds are reduced as the D-side cabling is all Aluminium. I appreciate where you're coming from, but being realstic with the options that we have is my preferred option.
Would I be being cynical if I understood the above to mean "BTOR realise that aluminium is not up to doing this job and thus would not want to waste their time looking for the problem"?

Well Aluminium does provide a service, albeit a lower quality of service as can be seen in this case. The way that Openreach will see it, is that a service is still being provided and reasonable speeds are being obtained. Aluminium is not as good for service as Copper, that's agreed, but as I say, BT Openreach see that it still provides a reasonable service.
I know how difficult it might be for an ISP (i.e. PN) to get BTOR to fix infrastructure such as this, but it is not outside of BTOR's control to rectify the defects, even if such rectification requires wholesale replacement of the d-side infrastructure.

Crosstalk is being looked at and trials are continuing. Early indications are positive from the results seen.
FTTC is never going to be any good for dispersed communities reliant on PP d-side aluminium which was installed as an economy measure a long time before the inception of ADSL, let alone VDSL2.

I can't really comment on BT's rollout plans and how that works because that goes way above the ISP in that respect. I can't comment too much on Aluminium cabling to an extent it's BT Openreach's Network.
Is it possible to get the FTTC delivered to the premises via ADSL instead - may be a stupid question, but I'll ask any way.

I'm not sure what you mean by that?
PN and the user are caught between a rock and a hard place - BTOR are the only people who can address this issue and as ever they are ducking and diving again.  Someone needs to go duck hunting with a 12 bore - sounds like CEO sport to me.

It is very difficult and these conversations are difficult ones to have. It's our job to get the best out of the line with the infrastructure that is in place (that's what my original advice was based on). whether or not BT are going to change the Aluminium cabling to copper is something that will have to be thought about by BT Openreach on a commercial level.
Devonian
Grafter

Thanks for the input Kevin, it's good to know I'm not the only one thinking along those lines.
@Chris when the engineer tested in my lounge, with his testing gear, he sync'd at 56/19.
He immediately plugged in my modem and sync'd at 42/19.
That is why he changed the modem to a replacement, as he thought it was faulty.
The replacement then sync'd at 46/19. 
The engineer then suggested asking my isp (plusnet) for a line reset, as for what ever reason, he was unable to do so at the time.
He suggested that the reset will reset the line management setting, hence allowing my modem to sync higher.
That is exactly what he told me.
He told me that before the aluminium wiring, he was getting 70meg, and after (my home) he was getting 52 to 56, which as we both agreed was due to the extra line length, and the aluminium pushing the speed down.
Now, I'm not saying that speed is everything, clearly it's not.
But the engineers equipment sync'd much higher than I am now, so surely that in it's self indicates an issue?
On a side note, the page loading seems better today.
Devonian
Grafter

Oops...  Double post.  Crazy
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Chris,
What are you doing working Saturdays?  It is good to see you in, but surely you deserve two rest days like everyone else!  Cheesy
For the record, I was not trying to "have a pop" - these are difficult issues and I understand your intent of trying to manage / set realistic expectations.  I do though feel that you / PN keep finding yourselves in unenviable situations arising for decisions or non-decisions from BTOR and are not able to be adequately blunt about ownership of the issue.  As such I disagree with the statement you made that Devonian's problem is "out side of Openreach's control".
At times, it seems like BTOR's attitude is any service is an acceptable service if providing a better service would mean replacing aluminium wires.  I suffered that at my business premises (as you might recall) and Devonian appears to have such a large chunk of it that the line will not actually deliver BTOR's estimated speed.  Aluminium is known to be not ideal for ADSL, it cannot be any better for VDSL2.
In short, if copper is better than aluminium, BTOR does within its control have the option to replace said d-side.  I understand that realistically they are highly unlikely to do so, but that does not mean that the issue is outside of their control - they simply choose not to act.  The consequence is that the end user's expectations set by data from BTOR's systems is not met and PN gets the blame... and the hard working guys on the DCT get the dammed awful job of having to manage your customer's disappointment because BTOR choose not to act.
Shameful really... one might think that a good CEO would be sorting this out for his customers, staff and business alike.
...if I play devil's advocate against myself (I try to be fair) if there were clarity of the actual degradation of service over a given length of aluminium against copper, one could have an informed discussion regarding if replacing the n-hundred metres of aluminium in Devonian's d-side with equal gauge (or even better gauge) copper wire would or would not close the gap between what Devonian is getting and the BTOR forecast speed at an acceptable error rate.
As for the cross talk issue, there is indeed more than one way to skin that cat.  The new technology might when eventually rolled out mitigate the presence of cross talk.  However cross talk could equally be addressed by sorting out the physical cabling issues with contribute to it in the first place.
I found this an interesting read - http://www.fie-epn.net/profesores/phidalgo/trabajos/trab_7.pdf - Devonian, this goes some way to explaining why VDSL is a bigger problem with cross talk than ADSL.

The bottom line is that in some areas, especially rural ones, the fibre needs to get closer to the premises than the present green (PCP) cabinets - in short rural areas need something between FTTC and FTTP if those areas are going to see / benefit from really decent super-fast broadband.
Now where did I leave the happy pills...  Shocked

Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Devonian
Thanks for the input Kevin, it's good to know I'm not the only one thinking along those lines.
The engineer tested in my lounge, with his testing gear, he sync'd at 56/19.
The replacement then sync'd at 46/19. 
He suggested that the reset will reset the line management setting, hence allowing my modem to sync higher.
He told me that before the aluminium wiring, he was getting 70meg, and after (my home) he was getting 52 to 56, which as we both agreed was due to the extra line length, and the aluminium pushing the speed down.

Hi Devonian,
I feel for your frustration.
As for thinking along the same lines, I do get hung up over the semantics between "cannot" and "will not".  Chris is in a difficult position, trying to realistically manage your expectations on getting your line to do better and what BTOR are realistically going to do.  I had aluminium in my business circuit - though not much (pole riser) - it sure did degrade my ADSL service.  The local BTOR guys said it needed to be replaced as most of the available pairs were [avoid swear words] "shot", but BTOR steadfastly refused to do so - never mind the service is not as good as it could be, you have got what you have got.
As for your modem not "synching" as fast as the test gear, are you able to clarify the figures you have given?  Is the engineer's test speed raw bit rate synch speed whereas that for the router is data transfer speed?  I have not got / seen fibre, but I am aware that the BT router does not disclose synch speed, all you can do is run a BTw data speed test, which will by definition be lower than the raw synch speed.  Is it coincidence that (the worse the engineer got) 52 *0.882 = 45.86 ?
Just how long is the aluminium in your d-side, do you know?
Cheers,
Kevin