Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed going down, high SNR

FIXED
frankoid2
Hooked

Download speed going down, high SNR

Good morning,

My download speed has been gradually declining, it was about 45Mbps a few months ago and is now only 31Mbps.

I'm currently connected with:​ Down Rate=31008Kbps, Up Rate=11022Kbps; SNR Margin Down=11.0dB, Up=6.3dB.

Is it possible to tweak any settings to get my download speeds back up please?

Thanks,

Francis

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Download speed going down, high SNR

@frankoid2 Welcome to the forums. From that limited data, I would say tweaking settings would not achieve anything as there appears to be a problem somewhere. A member of the PN Help Team will no doubt pick this up eventually, but:

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
frankoid2
Hooked

Thanks for the links @jab1 , I've attached screenshots of the results.

All done over WiFi for now but I can connect via ethernet later if needed. I don't think the WiFi is the limiting factor though, I just tested my WiFi speeds by copying some files from another computer and they transferred at 30-35MBps (megabytes per second, not megabits).

jab1
Legend

@frankoid2 The Help Desk shot is very useful, as it tells me that there is a BT/OR infrastructure issue - unless of course you turn off your Hub when not using it.

I would suggest you carry out the Quiet Line Test mentioned above, and if that fails, report a PHONE issue via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

If that passes, however, report a broadband issue via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

Please let us know of the results.

John
frankoid2
Hooked

If you're referring to the short DSL uptime, sorry I should have mentioned that I restarted the PlusNet Hub One to see if that would make a difference. Before I did that the DSL uptime was at least a few days (maybe weeks, I can't remember).

The connection seems stable, I'd just like a bit more speed. I'd like to upgrade to FTTP when I can (need to discuss with the family whether we need a landline - if we do then this might involve a move to a different ISP because AFAIK PlusNet don't offer voice over FTTP).

jab1
Legend

I was referring to the DSL uptime, but you have a problem somewhere as evidenced in the speed test result and the data contained in the Help desk data. The QLT I suggested you ran will determine whether the issue is on the phone side of your circuit, and is potentially easier to solve than n issue on the broadband side.

Your decision as regards FTTP is entirely up to you, of course.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I can see your speeds are below where we'd expect and testing your line's not showing the cause for this.

Is your router plugged into the master telephone socket? If so I'd like to arrange an engineer to take a closer look.

If you're okay with this, when could you be available for a visit? The engineers are available weekday timeslots (and occasionally Saturday's) of 8am to 1pm or 1pm to 6pm.

It's true we don't offer a phone service with FTTP, but we also aren't currently offering FTTP for business accounts I'm afraid. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
frankoid2
Hooked

Thanks Gandalf and sorry for the late reply.

Yes I'm available for a visit in the 8am-1pm timeslot (ideally after 9:30) this Wednesday 10th or next Tuesday 16th, Wednesday 17th and Thursday 18th. Before we book it in can I check something please - it is plugged into the master socket but the Openreach one was replaced with a different one by an electrician recently as part of some renovations. I wasn't aware he was going to do this and wasn't sure it was OK to do so but he assured me it was fine. Will the fact the master socket has been replaced automatically result in a charge for the callout?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Thanks for getting back to me Francis.

No problem, I've arranged an Openreach engineer visit for Tuesday 16.08.22 between 8am to 1pm.

We don't charge engineer call out fees for fault investigations so don't worry about that!

Let me know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
frankoid2
Hooked

Thanks for setting that up and for reassuring me about the fees. I'll let you know how it goes.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries Francis, fingers crossed the engineer can sort things out for you 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
frankoid2
Hooked

Openreach engineer visited this morning, did a pair quality test which passed, replaced the master socket (they said the old one had a capacitor in it that can cause problems) and reset the profile. Now getting 50Mbps down and 10 up Smiley

Thanks for your help