cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current line speed on Broadband page....

rovingclimber
Hooked

Current line speed on Broadband page....

Something I noticed a while back but more pertinent right now as I have a case open for line issues ... right now on the Plusnet site my line speed is shown as 56.8Mbps ... where does that stat come from exactly?

Screenshot 2023-01-24 075426.png

Because my ADSL modem has not sync'd anywhere over 48Mbps at any time in the last few months...... right now it's sync'd at 42Mbps after several issues over last few days:

Screenshot 2023-01-24 075620.png

5 REPLIES 5
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Current line speed on Broadband page....

@rovingclimber   "Current Line Speed" is not an actual speed but a legacy Plusnet internal profile which can restrict your speed if you are on a static WAN IP address. It is supposed to track the BT IP profile but can get stuck, unless you have a Static IP address it will not have any effect on your speed.  The Broadband Service page is virtually useless in my opinion, all the speeds are estimates and the one that claims to be a speed is nothing of the sort so pointless.🙄

rovingclimber
Hooked

Ah makes sense ... I mean it makes no sense but at least now I know it doesn't make sense 🤣

I guess support guys are busy right now as my ticket has been open for a day with no update .... last time they got back in under an hour. I lost another Mbps on my upload speed overnight ... 😔

Hopefully since line seems to be deteriorating rapidly I can get an actual fix for what's otherwise been a gradual deterioration in sync speed ... I was happily getting 62Mb down / 16Mb up maybe 6 months ago.

Interesting as well I remember when I first moved in a few years ago the minimum guaranteed speed listed was higher, in fact higher than I can connect now if I remember correctly. Seems like the goalposts get moved each renewal....

rovingclimber
Hooked

ADSL speed / dropouts ...

So ... I logged an issue 230893793 for this which stayed open for 1 day, then I got two emails 1 minute apart, the first telling me the issue had been logged out to supplier with a ticket number, then 1 minute later that the supplier had resolved the fault, the line had been tested and everything is now OK.

Except, obviously, it isn't.

I have had an intermittent issue with drop-outs in cold weather which has been getting worse. 6 months ago I was getting modem sync ~62Mbps down, 16Mbps up. Before Christmas I had a couple of drop-outs and it dropped to about 48/12. 3 days ago I had a series of drop-outs and re-syncs at one point down to 12Mbps down (well below guaranteed speed). Right now it's back up to 42Mps down but only 5.7Mbps up, which is unfortunately still within guarantee, so I guess that's why the ticket has been closed.

Now ... when I saw the issues before Xmas I started logging the ADSL modem stats and a periodic Ookla speed check, a snapshot of which can be viewed here:

https://snapshots.raintank.io/dashboard/snapshot/3X0197BotdKzkW3FFqKRWiGHuefxnabl

Screenshot 2023-01-24 172736.png

Here is grab of my current modem stats:

Screenshot 2023-01-24 173138.png

Are there any kind staff on here able to advise how I can progress this or do I need to wait until it actually stops working entirely?.... 🙄

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: ADSL speed / dropouts ...

@rovingclimber This is FTTC, not ADSL, but from your snapshot in the link, you still have an issue which needs resolving. First question - is your land line phone silent when you carry out a Quiet Line test - dial 17070 from a connected phone and select option 2. After your phone number is confirmed, there should be zero noise, apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement - any other noise, report a PHONE fault via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

John
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Howdy @rovingclimber our guys said it was fixed yesterday is that right?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team