cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistently slow speeds (0.63mbps down)

valoukh
Hooked

Consistently slow speeds (0.63mbps down)

Hello! We've been experiencing consistently slow internet speeds (around 0.63mbps download speed), which has become more and more noticeable when browsing etc. I'm wondering if our line/config needs looking at please? We had a few trips away over winter where the router was only on when required - could this have caused the speed to drop?

Many thanks for your time,

Trevor

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
valoukh
Hooked

Re: Consistently slow speeds (0.63mbps down)

Does anyone know the best way to contact Plusnet at the moment? I appreciate we're in a crisis but I'm homeworking for the fire service and urgently need to get this fixed. I've also tried to contact sales to look at getting fibre installed to no avail. Thanks!

spiralarms

Sorry, I wish I knew how best to contact Plusnet.

I've a similar problem. My usual speeds (via speedtest.net etc) are 6.2Mb down and 1Mb up. My sync is usually 6.8Mb and 1.1Mb, since Saturday speeds have intermittently dropped to less than 1Mb down. I've noticed the sync being down to 0.2Mb at the same time.

Following all the trouble shooters (for phone and broadband) they say everything fine.

I've disconnected everything from the master socket, and then only with a corded phone plugged in, I noticed some pretty horrendous line noise, so dropped ADSL didn't seem much of a surprise!

Today the noise seems to have gone (perhaps it was the weather), sync speeds are back to normal but transfers are still about 0.3Mb. The BT Wholesale test reports that too (with only the laptop directly cabled to router). I've tried my usual BiPAC 8800NL router into the usual OpenReach Mk3 at the master socket, and the plus.net router, into the master socket (ie with the Mk3 removed) via the Plusnet supplied ADSL filter. It makes no difference.

The test report says my IP Profile is my download is about 6Mb, but it looks like something else where is limiting my speed.

I've been trying to get to Plusnet to see if there's some "reset" they can try.

My wife and I had been working from home, and the 2 kids are usually surgically attached to the internet, but not right now.

I don't mind waiting for a response, but it's the not knowing if I'll even get a response is the frustrating thing.

[and exhale - that feels better]

Neil

valoukh
Hooked

Hi Neil,

Totally get the frustration! Yes I agree, happy to wait for someone to get back to me but I've no idea if this forum is the place for that, live chat is down phone lines offline...

My plan B is to contact BT, get them to install fibre and stop the direct debit to Plusnet if I can't get through. Even that won't happen soon, but there's only so long I can keep trying to call Plusnet before I have to try something else!

Skoosh
Dabbler

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you'll likely be in for a long wait. I posted a topic here with the same problem as yourself (and others) also raised a ticket with plusnet 9 days ago. Yet to receive a response from either.
valoukh
Hooked

Sorry to hear that Skoosh, that's terrible. Think I'm going to contact BT. Hopefully they can organise fibre for me (they're still operational) and I'll just cut the direct debit to Plusnet.

spiralarms

This morning I did manage to join the half our wait on customer services faults phone line. After doing the usual, (a single PC connected via cable to router, no other devices, wifi etc), the line was reset and I'm now back to 5Mb. Which is less that previously, but 20 times better than 0.2Mb. Hopefully things will improve as the exchange and router optimise the settings.

When I was on the line, I asked 2 things: could he call me back if we got disconnected, he said he would. And what was the official way to contact support, phone is the way.

He also said that loss of speed issues are not being prioritised. Priority is given to loss of service, but as 0.2Mb is less than the guaranteed minimum for me (effectively loss of service), then he was able to reset the line.