cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Dropout

Angharad13

Connection Dropout

We've been with Plusnet for over 2 years now. Our speeds never reach what we're promised and the Wi-Fi strength around the house is very poor indeed. I do accept that this is an old house, with thick walls and unfortunately we cannot move the router to a more central position. 

My biggest problem is the constant dropout in connection. The blue light on the router remains unchanged but all devices lose connection. We were trying to watch a film through Netflix on Saturday night and it took us an hour longer than the length of the film because it kept dropping out and buffering. The router is right next to the TV so walls etc are not a problem. 

Are there any suggestions to stop this happening or is it a Plusnet issue? 

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Connection Dropout

@Angharad13  Welcome to the forum.

These are your options for WiFi around the house. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Distributing-Data-around-Larger-Proper...
With respect to the Hub and TV being in the same room, can you use an Ethernet cable between the two? Also it is not advisable to locate a wireless hub too close to devices such as a TV.

Are you experiencing these drop outs on devices connected via Ethernet? This is an important check to make sure that what you have is a wireless, not a BT network problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there @Angharad13

I'd definitely take a look at the good advice that Baldrick1 has mentioned, it would also be worth us running a channel scan and moving the router onto the best available channels to ensure the best range and speeds it can offer. I can do that remotely if you like, I just need task your permission first as it will cause the wireless signal to drop out temporarily for about two minutes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Angharad13

@Baldrick1 Thanks for this, i'll have a look and see if anything works. Unfortunately I don't have a choice of router location as I only have 1 socket in the house.

Angharad13

Hi @adamwalker If you could run that that would be great. The signal drops out so frequently, a couple of minutes won't do any harm!

Baldrick1

@Angharad13 

Which socket are you referring to, mains or the BT master socket? Either way, 1 metre away from the TV will make a difference if this is the problem.

Moderator and Customer

Angharad13

@Baldrick1 The master socket. Thank you, I can try, but with the layout of my house, I'm not sure I'll be able to achieve this. 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks @Angharad13, I've just changed the router's 2.4 and 5Ghz channels for you so I hope that's made some improvement.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1

@Angharad13 

If it is the length of a DSL cable that's causing the problem then longer ones are not expensive https://www.amazon.co.uk/C2G-RJ11-Straight-Modular-Cable-Silver/dp/B007FTDVXM/ref=sr_1_4?crid=W6QRD6...

It's the fact that it won't work with your TV in the same room that's worrying. Have you seen whether you can plug an Ethernet cable into the TV rather than use wireless? If you want help checking then tell us the make and model of the TV so that we can look up the manual on line.

Moderator and Customer

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

"The blue light on the router remains unchanged but all devices lose connection. We were trying to watch a film through Netflix on Saturday night and it took us an hour longer than the length of the film because it kept dropping out and buffering."

The light staying blue infers that the problem is not related to the broadband connection dropping entirely, but it would be folly to presume that this issue is not related to a line issue.

Exactly what do you mean by "all devices lose connection" and what needs to be done to regain connection?  Does the router need rebooting?  Do the devices need their WiFi reconnecting or does all keep on working without intervention?

What else is the internet being used for in the household whilst watching Netflix?  I have a fairly decent DS speed and (other than a number of switched on but not otherwise actively used PCs) I have nothing (knowingly) using the internet and yet occasionally I get Netflix buffering.  I also have intermittent noise and crackle on the line when I pick up the phone.  Do you have a phone plugged in?  If not then there is some possibility that your number is being dialled and that is interfering with the broadband.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Which router have you got?  If it is the Hub One, then that is a BTHH5a which works well with a specific version of Routerstats - see the link below.  Setting that up on a PC and running it 24x7 might identify if there is a problem on the line which is not being detected by the line tests.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.