cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting modem to a non-master socket

molszewski
Grafter

Re: Connecting modem to a non-master socket

Here are pictures of the socket and the insides. The faceplate also has some electronics but no wires go from the faceplate to the extension. There is an option to attach some wires to the faceplate.

DAC0E136-4A95-41E2-9B44-C680881F13C5.jpeg44FB2AB2-430F-4468-9423-A010598C8296.jpegE91C89BF-2738-4947-ABB0-E9960CC64E1C.jpeg2B1BED60-1A5D-41B2-94A3-ACC4F776CF4B.jpeg

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@molszewski thanks for the pictures , it's all clear now.

You have a filtered faceplate. The extension(s) wiring is correctly wired to the back plate. Your extension sockets WILL  be filtered and therefore you are not able to use them to connect the modem.

To be able to use one to connect the modem, you would need to detach the extension wiring from the back plate, and attach it to the unfiltered output on the faceplate. You would then need to use a normal dangly style filter at each extension socket in use. Moving the modem to an extension in this way MAY result in a loss of speed, depending on the length and quality of the extension cabling.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

molszewski
Grafter

Thanks for your answer. I just realised I posted in ADSL forum and not the Fibre broadband forum. Would your advice be the same for Fibre broadband? Is it the regular microfilter that I would need like in the old days? So if the extension cable is going to be unfiltered then I would presumably also need a microfilter for the landline telephone in the kitchen?

While researching this topic I came across a picture of the same master socket where the blue telephone cables are wired exactly the same as my current configuration but there  were orange wires coming out from the face plate and going into the extension cable. It said they were for broadband. Does that mean that a modem can be connected to the orange wires at the other end while the telephone line stays filtered?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@molszewski wrote:

Is it the regular microfilter that I would need like in the old days? So if the extension cable is going to be unfiltered then I would presumably also need a microfilter for the landline telephone in the kitchen?

Yes and yes.

While researching this topic I came across a picture of the same master socket where the blue telephone cables are wired exactly the same as my current configuration but there  were orange wires coming out from the face plate and going into the extension cable. It said they were for broadband. Does that mean that a modem can be connected to the orange wires at the other end while the telephone line stays filtered?

What they've probably done there, is wire an additional unfiltered socket to the faceplate using the spare orange/white pair. The additional socket would need to be close to the existing extension socket as its using a spare pair of an existing cable going  to that socket. Interesting approach though, means that existing sockets remain filtered whereas the additional socket could be used to connect a modem

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.