cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't reach an external server (Germany)

Profiterole
Grafter

Can't reach an external server (Germany)

I'm having issues reaching 185.163.112.141 (a gaming log in server, based in Germany).  Tracert only gets as far as a London server (peer3-et3-0-5.redbus.ukcore.bt.net [194.72.16.198]) then times out so I don't know what the next hop is (which could very well be the issue).  The connection was fine up until Tuesday.

Now I did switch over my router to the Hub 2 on Wednesday so I'm wondering if this might be a setting on the router I need to change or whether it's an external issue.  Everything worked perfectly before Wednesday

My granddaughter is pleading to play her game and we can't connect.  Can someone help please?

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Can't reach an external server (Germany)

@Profiterole There is nothing in the Hub which can affect routing, as such. I'll see what happens when I try to ping it, but it may not be of much help  as I'm no longer a PN customer, so my routing will be entirely different.

Edit - I can't reach it either, it can get no reply from '195.66.226.47', which is a peering exchange in London. Wonder if that server is down?

John
Profiterole
Grafter

@jab1 Fantastic thanks for doing this, John.  I did think something in the path was down but wasn't 100% certain so wanted to make sure.  All we can do is sit and wait then I guess

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

@Profiterole 

If a host does not respond to ping then traceroute isn't going to find the host either.

I have checked 185.163.112.141 using telnet on port 80 and I a get a connection.

There is an alternative test using a microsoft windows if telnet is not enabled on your PC 

Press the Windows Key and search for 'windows power shell' and open

enter command Test-NetConnection 185.163.112.141 -Port 80

The result will look like 
ComputerName : 185.163.112.141
RemoteAddress : 185.163.112.141
RemotePort : 80
InterfaceAlias : WiFi
SourceAddress : <the IP Address of your PC>
TcpTestSucceeded : True

This proves the route to the host is good, but not necessarily the service you are connecting to.

A bit more detail on the service would be helpful

HTH

Profiterole
Grafter

@Dan_the_Van It's a game hosted by Gamigo - Wizard101.  Everything was fine up until Wednesday when 2 things occurred - the game was patched and I took advantage of the downtime (assuming it was maintenance) to change over my router from the new Hub 2.  Since then we can't connect in.

I am able to connect to the game website and the patch server.  But, once the game starts up we get the message 'Incorrect username or password'.  I know the username/password combo is fine as we have to log into the launcher to get the game patched and, as I say, we can log into the website with our details just fine.

The game folder is allowed through my firewall and I added an exception to my anti-virus just in case.

I've uninstalled and re-installed as an admin; flushed the DNS and released/renewed the IP.  

Hence the reason I ran a tracert and found the path wasn't completing.  So assumed it was likely a network error.

I ran the command you suggested in Powershell and got the same result as you - TcpTestSucceeded : True

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

@Profiterole 

I see there is wizard101 and wizard101 europe, each with their own application (exe file), have you by chance mixed them up? 

In my attempts to recreate your issue I also get username/password issue.

Profiterole
Grafter

@Dan_the_Van 

Nope not mixed up - we can get into NA just fine (although she didn't have any characters there but made a new one lol).  At least I know that you're getting the problem too - thank you for checking.  Perhaps it's at Kingsisle's end but I haven't seen many people log the issue.  One in Reddit and 1-2 in Discord - others can get in just fine.

We might have to find a new game for her to play 🤔