Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone kick my IP Profile?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Can someone kick my IP Profile?

Quote from: Oxigin
When I used speedtest.net a few weeks ago it was showing 6.4meg do you think this is the max I should be getting or should it be closer to 7?

6.4mbps is about what I get - it does vary and different speed testers will give results that are a little different.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
arjem
Grafter

@ jelv - Thanks fro reply. I have at last found time to reboot the router etc. You said:
Quote from: jelv
To get a 5000 profile you need to be synced at 5696 kbps or faster.
I suggest you reconnect once during the day time (10am to 3pm) and immediately take a note of your noise margin - that will be your target noise margin.
From then on only reboot when the current noise margin is above the target. You will find it will reconnect at the target with a slightly higher sync speed and you might manage to get it above the magic 5696 kbps.
Looking at your stats your sync speed does appear to be a bit down on what might be expected for your attenuation. It might be worth seeing if you could borrow different routers to see if a different make/model gives a better sync speed - what router are you using at present.

I now have sync speed reported by router as 5920 but I IP Profile is still 4500. Now I have greater sync speed than magic 5696 will the IP Profile change and when?
My SNR margin is 6.6 and you say that is the target and only reboot when above that. This level of 6.6 is higher than I ususally have. For last 5 months it has been 6.3 or lower. However when previously I had IP Profile of 5000 the SNR Margin was 3.6 so should I keep rebooting in hope of getting SNR back to 3.6? . So I am confused as to why SNR Margin changes when I have not changed anything in my set up or connections.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Your target will a multiple of 3 (6 is the lowest) so I'm guessing yours is 6. How long it takes for the IP Profile to change is a function of how big the percentage change in sync speed is - as yours is not that great it could take around 3 days or so.
Syncing with a noise margin below 4 is not good. At the slightest provocation you will get errors, or the natural variation you get in sync speed during the day will take it down to zero and it will resync - probably with a higher target to avoid the errors (and hence a lower sync speed).
I think your line is right on the verge between the two profiles and so may have to accept that it will vary. The best you can do at the moment is nothing and just monitor what happens for a few days.
If your router is supported by routerstats (or routerstats lite), running that will help you monitor things.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)