cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i check my phone line without a phone?

JC3

Can i check my phone line without a phone?

Hello,

I was informed that my broadband was ready to go on Friday (13th August 2021), but was also told that my activation date was yesterday, and so waited until midnight last night to make sure. Now, over 48 hours later, it still isn't working.

The router is plugged in and turned on and shows an orange bar with a flashing 'b' which I've read can be many different problems. I have plugged it into the main dsl as well as the test socket, moved it into different sockets around the house, tried different microfilters, different cables, everything I can think of but it always with the orange bar and the red 'b'.

I'm attempting to troubleshoot the issue but keep being asked how my phone line sounds. I do not own a land-line phone and so I'm not sure how to do this. If anyone can advise me on how to test the quality of the phone line, or to solve the original problem then that would be great as I've been without broadband for quite a while now.

Thank you very much.
12 REPLIES 12
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Can i check my phone line without a phone?

@JC3 

You could buy a cheap and nasty corded phone for around a tenner just for situations like this.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@JC3 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5529610?clickPR=plp:1:11

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@JC3 Welcome to the forum.  🙂

Anyone with broadband over a phone line should acquire a basic phone.

If you have a broadband problem, the first questions that will be asked are 'Do you have a dialling tone?' and 'Is the line noisy?'

Plus, you can check for a crossed line by dialling 17070 and checking the system announces the correct number, and calling your landline from a mobile.

And you won't be totally stuck in an emergency and find that your mobile's flat.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @JC3

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues. The circuit itself is in sync, however a PPP session hasn't started. Can you just check whether you're logged into the router correctly?

To do this, ensure that the device you're using is connected to the router, either via Ethernet or WIFI.

1. Open up a web browser, and type 192.168.1.254 into the URL field, you should now be on your Plusnet Hub Manager.

2. Select "Advanced Settings" and then "Broadband" from the sub-menu.

3. Make sure that your Broadband username is accountusername@plusdsl.net, the password should be the same one you created upon sign up, and is the one you use tov log  into your online Member Centre.

Let us know how you get on.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
JC3

Hello, thank you very much for replying. I have gone onto the broadband page as you suggested and entered my ...@plusdsl.net username and my password and then clicked 'connect' in the bottom right corner. Nothing really happens then besides the page refreshing to the same state with everything saying 'not available' or 'disconnected'. I know the details are correct because when I enter them incorrectly, it tells me that they're in correct.Wifi.png

Is there something I'm doing wrong or something else I need to do now, and if so would you be able to guide me through that as well?

Many thanks for your help.

P.S I do now have a landline if that's any help at all.

Baldrick1

@JC3 
Try unplugging the DSL cable, enter your Plusnet user name and password then plug the DSL cable in and see if it will connect.

Moderator and Customer

JC3

Just tried that and the same result seems to happen.

I've taken some more screenshots a long the way to see if any of them are of any help to anyone at all.

This is what appears when I first connect to the internet:
This is what appears when I first connect to the internet.This is what appears when I first connect to the internet.

And this is a couple of hub manager screenshots if they tell you anything?

wifi 3.pngwifi 4.png

Thank you very much for your time again.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@JC3 

Now you have a corded phone you can run checks.

On the PlusNet Help pages is a Troubleshooting page. Run the phone checks required including using the Test socket on the Master Socket and not the front socket.

Brian

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks for letting us know @JC3

I'm sorry to see that you're still having issues in getting online. Our tests show that the line is in sync, but it's unable to start an active session. I've just reset what we call the TR069 on the account, give your router another Factory Reset and try again. Let me know how you get on.

If the problem persists, we'll get the matter raised with Openreach.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
JC3

Hi @adam945, thank you very much for taking the time to help so far, it's very much appreciated.

I tried the factory reset and still got the same results. I have plugged my landline into both the microfilter and directly into the master socket and get no dial tone so I can only assume that the issue is with the phone line itself rather than the broadband. 

I attempted to use the trouble-shooter and keep getting this result:

Phone line.png

I have also tried calling the landline number from my mobile a couple of times and both times the same local business picks up, so I'm wondering if there's a crossed line issue somewhere that's having some affect?

Sorry for the bother so far, I can't help but feel like I'm missing something obvious so I'm happy to give as much more information as you need.

Thanks again.

Baldrick1

@JC3 wrote:

Hi @adam945, thank you very much for taking the time to help so far, it's very much appreciated.

I have also tried calling the landline number from my mobile a couple of times and both times the same local business picks up, so I'm wondering if there's a crossed line issue somewhere that's having some affect?

There’s your problem.Openreach have piggy backed you on to someone else’s connection.

Try ringing 17070 and see which number if any that reports.

Moderator and Customer

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @JC3,

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing this issue. I've taken a look at your account and I can see that this has since been raised as a fault with our suppliers. We're currently awaiting an update, but once we've received one our Faults Team will be back in touch to discuss the matter further. If you have any questions in the meantime then please don't hesitate to add them onto this thread and we'll be happy to help wherever we can. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team