Can anyone help?

VictoriaWoods49
Grafter

Re: Can anyone help?

715 kbps (89.4kB/s) 274 kbps (34.3kB/s)
VictoriaWoods49
Grafter

I think thats all that was asked for, thats a lot of hard work, Not that I know what i'm doing, thanks so much for everyone helping me

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

can you respond to my reply #14
VictoriaWoods49
Grafter

no noise on phone line
VictoriaWoods49
Grafter

ok, let me go back Smiley
VictoriaWoods49
Grafter

for just post code.......
ADSL enabled: September 30, 2000
DSL Max enabled: March 31, 2006
21CN WBC (Broadband) Enabled
21CN due : (PSTN) info N/A
FTTC Available in some areas
SDSL enabled : Not Enabled
Broadband Access Market Broadband Access† Market 3
BT price band BTw Pricing Band Band A
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Hi Victoria,
Thank you - nice prompt response.  ...a lot of people responded whilst I typed this...
1. The exchange checker - did it indicate estimated speeds please?  This shows that you could be on either 20CN or 21CN, whatever from the router stats you are on ADSL(1) modulation and you are not going to see ADSL2 on your line.
2. From the router stats - line attenuation of 63.5dB (if that is the right figure as some routers do not report correctly above this figure) suggests that you might see a synch speed of 1.9Mbps
3. The error counts are quite high - I'll return to this
4. The PN profile 0.8Mbps is low for your current synch speed - given that we cannot see the BT profile, it is not possible to know if there is a lag in the update process (BT profile updating the PN profile) or if there is an issue with the BT profile.
Some of your speed tests are comparable to your PN profile. however the high error rate is going to markedly impact the data transfer rate.

How can this be improved...?
Is there any noise on your phone line?  Dial 17070 option 2 (ideally) on a wired phone in the master socket - the line should be silent, no crackles / hiss etc.
is the router plugged into the master socket?
Are there any phone extensions?
What kind of master socket faceplate have got?  Are there filters on all the phones connected to extensions?
Can you try the router in the test socket behind the Master socket faceplate?  If that shows and improved synch rate then there may be an issues with the internal wires.

Give that a go and after looking at the results we'll look at what next.

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

we need the top bit which looks a bit like this
Distance:- Direct:     4.08 km
  (appx)* By Road: 5.1 km
and the speed estimate from lower down
looks a bit like this
Fixed ADSL:   1024 kbps (1 Mb)
DSL Max:   2000 kbps (2 Mb)
21CN WBC : 2500 kbps (2.5 Mb)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: VictoriaWoods49
I think thats all that was asked for, thats a lot of hard work, Not that I know what i'm doing, thanks so much for everyone helping me

Victoria,
You have done a really comprehensive job here... this is what the data tells us.
Kitz / exchange checker - this tells us which BT Wholesale broadband services are available in your area and the speeds you can expect
Router stats - this tells us what you are getting at the moment - synch rate, modulation type, line characteristics and error counts
BTw speed test - the rate at which you can transfer data and (most importantly) the fastest rate that the BTOR equipment believes your line can transfer data (Profile)
PN Current speed - confirmation of the line speed estimate and PN's recognition of the BTOR data profile

From this we can take a view of if your line is doing about as good as it can or if there is room for improvement.

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VictoriaWoods49
Grafter

ok, I did the 17070 no cracles or hiss
Yes router plugged into master socket
No phone extensions
don'y know about socket faceplate, yes one filter into phone socket
VictoriaWoods49
Grafter

Distance:- Direct: 3.58 km
(appx)* By Road: 5.1 km
Fixed ADSL: 256 kbps (0.3 Mb)
DSL Max:  1000 kbps (1 Mb)
21CN WBC : 1000 kbps (1 Mb)
TORPC
Grafter

Does your phone socket look similar to
If so then there should be a test socket behind the lower half after removing the 2 screws

Edit:
Also see
Plusnets Master Socket Guide

VictoriaWoods49
Grafter

our phone socket is the older type not like the one you posted, ours sits on the window ledge
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Victoria,
There are some other master sockets here - https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml - if the one above is not yours.

@OldJim,
Can this link be added into the "speed problem" sticky please?  Also it would be useful if you have the influence to get this page updates with pictures of the VDSL style faceplates.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Thanks
That suggests that the line goes rather a long way round to your village as the BT estimate (from the post code only) is about what you are getting but it may be possible to improve it by looking at your internal wiring