cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSC Agents not answering the right question

godsell4
Rising Star

Re: CSC Agents not answering the right question

Another reply which does not address the key facts. See attachment for the pretty graphs which are overly relied on as evidence all is well.
NFF. Need to advise that speeds will fluctuate and we are unable to prevent this. Also SNR is a constantly changing value and can easily change when a device is re-synced.

The last part made me hoot, of course the SNR will change during a resync, immediately after a resync it will at or close to the target SNR margin, which is currently 12dB. It was 9dB before the first fault in 2008.
In regards to the constantly changing SNR value, SNR by its nature will frequently change you will often find that at night when street lights are powered on your SNR value will be higher than in the day the same applies to warm weather versus cold weather and can change minute by minute.

Yes, understood, but how does this explain the sudden loss in connection as shown in my logs? I understand that the SNR will change overtime, but sudden large changes are indicative of a line fault. These sudden large changes only started happening after the recent line fault.
As you know speeds constantly vary throughout the day despite what your SNR is set to at the exchange because of these fluctuation in noise etc

They absolutely do not or I say should not. The sync speed is set each time when the router connects, this speed is fixed and non-varying until the next re-sync, the speed is selected based on the target SNR which BT have set by the DLM process.
Also as you have found yourself some devices will show different attenuation which is more down to the particular router than anything else. We currently have a downstream attenuation of 57db which may very well be different on your router. So these above issues are not necessarily faults with your line.

Shows another gross error in understanding, the 57dB number and the other values shown in the attachment, are the values as indicated by the router.
As the estimated line speeds for your line are between 750 - 2500 kbps BT would not class your current speed as a fault as speeds cannot be guaranteed with ADSL. Please continue to monitor and lets us know if we can be of further assistance.

This fixation on 'current speed' is just silly, I dont think this ticket has been viewed by the same CSC agent twice, each one jumps to the same conclusion without actually reading the whole thing, not surprising as there is much to read.
The issue, as stated, is these sudden disconnections are a new and recent behaviour of my phone line, they started after BT recently fixed the line.
Good honest broadband ... !
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
godsell4
Rising Star

CSC looked at the SNR plot shown in Reply #42 and told
This looks to be something as simple as a glitch in the recording of the router stats. As far as I can see there is no fault on the service and nothing to worry about.

--
3Mb FTTC
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4
I dont think this ticket has been viewed by the same CSC agent twice, each one jumps to the same conclusion without actually reading the whole thing

I really feel your pain in regards to the CSC agents differing each time, it is often annoying when you are trying to request something like an SNR reset and you get told something different each time!
I would put on the ticket that you want your case to be reviewed by somebody more senior. Tomorrow, tell Adam that you want him to take ownership of the fault which I am sure he would be willing to do after all the issues you have had.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Tomorrow, tell Adam that you want him to take ownership of the fault which I am sure he would be willing to do after all the issues you have had.

The fault is already with one of our best faults agents so in my opinion it's in good hands already, there'd be no merit of me jumping in at this stage really.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
godsell4
Rising Star

If that is true, well I am out of luck then. And exactly who's hands am I in? I am not being replied to by the same person, so this is not at all clear to me.
Everyone replying to the ticket so far thinks the SNR plots I have provided are nothing to worry about, no fault on your line Sir because the 2s test we do says so.
Really does everybody at PN see those SNR plots the same way? If so, that is extremely worrying.
These problem started after BT fixed a line fault ... surely that tells PN something.
--
3Mb FTTC
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

If that is true, well I am out of luck then. And exactly who's hands am I in?

Why are you out of luck? I'm confident that yes whilst others have answered one of our most capable and senior faults agents is overseeing your ticket, I can't name names on the forum though I'm afraid.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

double post see below
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

godsell4
I don't quiet understand the point you are making but I have put up with a similar situation for three months now. Undecided
Best of luck with your argument and I am watching because i think it is relevant to my own case. Smiley
I have SNR swings between 12 and 6.5 dB and disconections (resyncs)  which appear to be initiated by the exchange. In a previous thread and ticket I attempted to get PN staff to accept there was a fault with similar answers to yourself.  Angry
But my concern is that the system will not continue to work happily like this and that it is an indication of an impending failure. I will be off to Saudi Arabia shortly and I dont want SWMBO to have to deal with a fault in my absence.   Angry Undecided
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi godsell4,
I've just had a look at the delta report history on your line back to June this year (the earliest report I'm able to view) and can see that the profile has wavered between 750 and 2500 since then though it's not been higher than that. It doesn't look like the recent profile changes (since October when you reported the fault) have been any different to how they've been since June in all honesty.
I realise the SNR graphs don't look good and it definitely suggests that there's some interference happening in the evening (whether near to your premises or the exchange is impossible to say) but is this actually affecting the connection and your use of it at all?
godsell4
Rising Star

In that case to see a longer term history, maybe RADIUS logs will help.
See https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=45601424 this is the ticket for the line fault back in August.
Please post those Delta reports to my current ticket if you would.
--
3Mb FTTC
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've added a csv to the ticket with the details as requested, hope that helps.
godsell4
Rising Star

Matt,
Thanks. The CSV file goes back to August.
The last three lines are:
BT IPStream Max Interleaved Auto 18/08/2011 05:35 160 adsl2000
BT IPStream Max Interleaved Auto 17/08/2011 22:48 160 adsl135
BT IPStream Max Interleaved Auto 17/08/2011 21:07 2272 adsl135
BT IPStream Max Interleaved Auto 14/08/2011 03:06 2272 adsl2000
The line fault, an excavator digging up the line, happened on the 17th.
So PN really have no older history for my line stats than this list?
In an older ticket, back in 2008, I believe but could be wrong a longer history could be reviewed, does that need to come off a tape backup or similar?
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The stats came directly from BT and are all that are available. I'm not sure why going back any further would be relevant in this case?
Please could you answer my question regarding how the fluctuations in SNR are affecting the service and your use of it?
godsell4
Rising Star

Updated the ticket with this:
Thanks. The last 3 lines of the CVS file are:
BT IPStream Max Interleaved Auto 18/08/2011 05:35 160 adsl2000
BT IPStream Max Interleaved Auto 17/08/2011 22:48 160 adsl135
BT IPStream Max Interleaved Auto 17/08/2011 21:07 2272 adsl135
BT IPStream Max Interleaved Auto 14/08/2011 03:06 2272 adsl2000
The line fault occured on August/17th, and it shows after the 17th I have had some very low sync speeds, some below 1Mb.
I am stating that when the line was repaired, my low sync speed problems then started. If we had some more history of my line, you would be able to see if this was true and that there was much less variation in sync speed. Please try and obtain older information before the 17th.

Please could you answer my question regarding how the fluctuations in SNR are affecting the service and your use of it?

Hopefully that comment was not intended to cause anger, I certainly had to step away from the keyboard though when I read this.
How many times do I have to repeat the same things either on this forum or the ticket?
To answer your question. Now that the variation in SNR has now become larger and more frequent, it means that if the sync is lost at night there is a high likely hood that it will connect at about 1Mb. Before the 17th, connecting at this speed was rare to non-existant. Also, if connected at higher speeds, the large momentary changes in SNR, may cause applications like iplayer to stutter when previously it did not.
--
3Mb FTTC
James
Grafter

SW,
I've asked one of my faults agents to pick this up for you.
Are you free for him to give you a ring this afternoon to go over the history with you?  I appreciate that you have covered this in the past, however this will give you a single point of contact which I feel is required right now.