cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's Happening Again!

sjrinfroyle
Grafter

It's Happening Again!

Well, I am back to having problems with disconnections every night. The SNR margin drops at about 5:30PM every night and the connection resyncs at a lower speed which causes the speed to decrease, this has now happened so much that it has caused the target SNR to be increased to 15dB. The good thing is that it has stopped the disconnections, but my speeds are much slower than possible. Connecting to the test socket doesn't make any difference.
I will try raising another fault but I don't have much hope.  Sad
26 REPLIES 26
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: It's Happening Again!

If it happens at a regular time every day it's almost certainly something causing a blip on the signal, like a streetlight, or something in the house. Have you considered everything that switches on automatically in the house (immersion heater for example)?
You were using a Bipac 7800N weren't you? Does it still happen with that router? It has a much higher blip tolerance than most.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: nozzer
If it happens at a regular time every day it's almost certainly something causing a blip on the signal, like a streetlight, or something in the house. Have you considered everything that switches on automatically in the house (immersion heater for example)?

I have been doing a bit of research and there is nothing turning on at 5:30 PM that effects the broadband.
You were using a Bipac 7800N weren't you? Does it still happen with that router? It has a much higher blip tolerance than most.

It was better with the 7800N for a while but it is disconnecting again. If you could let me know the exact settings you use, I could give it another go.
nozzer
Hero

When you say "that effects the broadband" how do you know that? Or are you saying that there's nothing turning on or off at 5.30pm?
Exact settings??  For the router? It's just plug and go!
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

When you say "that effects the broadband" how do you know that? Or are you saying that there's nothing turning on or off at 5.30pm?

There is nothing in my house that switches on or off at 5:30PM. I live in a village with no street lights and I am not near any radio stations but I do live in the South so I suppose signals could be being picked up from foreign stations.
MrT
Grafter

Have you been tweaking the target SN margin to obtain a higher speed. If you have, then that was probably the cause of your line drops and consequent increase in target SN margin to 15dB. What download speed should you be getting based on your router stats?
nozzer
Hero

Actually, if you are only seeing one line drop a day (is that what you are saying?), I'm very surprised that your SNRM has changed at all. You should be able to get away with one a day without any problems).
Try the Billion again and just leave it to its own devices. The SNRM "should" reset in due course.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Would it be fair to assume that following the lower speed sync you do a manual resync in the morning to get the faster speed.
Did you try leaving it at the lower sync rate and see if it holds
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

I have tweaked the SNR down to 10dB just to regain a little speed and I did that last night after the disconnection. I haven't restarted it this morning.
Stats:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5120 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 41.0 db 25.0 db
Noise Margin 9.9 db 23.0 db
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I suggest you try not fiddling any more as one side effect of tweaking the noise margin can be that it confuses the automatic systems in the exchange which then increase the default noise margin and you are back to square one.
This is specially the case with ADSL2 as I have seen it bounce the default noise margin from 9dB to 15dB in one go without any apparent justification
nozzer
Hero

Deja-vu all over again!  Cheesy
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
I suggest you try not fiddling any more

I haven't really been fiddling, I am just been trying a few different routers. I won't touch it and I'll post a RouterStats graph as it starts to get dark.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Be interesting to see how it compares with this - the sudden jump is when the computer is switched out of sleep mode in the morning
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Be interesting to see how it compares with this

What router is that?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Netgear DG834G v4 with Broadcom chipset