Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband issues - need to contact support to update ticket

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Broadband issues - need to contact support to update ticket

@Townman This is a VDSL2 service, the SNRM value is not changed in 3 dB steps, you may be thinking of ADSL which controlled SNRM to adjust the sync speed, VDSL2 is different as I mentioned in my previous post, and it's not semantics it's a different method of line management. The only time VDSL2 DLM steps the SNRM value is when G.Inp is enabled and it can reduce it in 1dB steps from the default  of 6dB down to 3db to increase the sync speed and step it up again if the lines goes unstable.

cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

The line suddenly became unstable a couple of weeks ago.

I now have a stable connection but at a lower speed which is better for me.

I can live with 17Mb download for now.  Much better than 39Mb in 5 minute bursts which was unusable.

As to why the line has become unstable I have no idea but hopefully the cause can be found and fixed.

I would prefer not to invoke a DLM reset right now in case it goes back to how it was 2 weeks ago.

cjags
Aspiring Pro

The line was fairly stable at 17.9M download so I was waiting for the Virgin fibre workers (and Openreach) to finish digging up the local roads before following up with the line fault reporting.

However, this morning it looks like a DLM reset was done because download rate is back to 39M and the line disconnects every few minutes.  I have put a call into Plusnet support who have passed it on to Openreach.

Router line stats

Line 1 Information      (VDSL2Firmware Version:  8D1B17_A/B/C   with Vectoring support )
  Profile State UP Speed Down Speed SNR Upstream SNR Downstream  
  17A SHOWTIME 9,998 (Kbps) 39,990 (Kbps) 9 (dB) 7 (dB)

cjags
Aspiring Pro

The broadband was more down than up so I fired up the hub2 that Plusnet sent me and connected that to the broadband line.

After a couple of restarts, the hub2 seemed to be stable so I left it running overnight and it is working fine with no dropouts.

I now have my Draytek using the Plusnet hub2 as the internet access point and things are working.

Line speed on the hub2 is 39Mb with no dropouts.

Plusnet support say they have recitfied faults found so my next task is to remove the hub2 and connect the Draytek back to the broadband line directly to see what happens...

cjags
Aspiring Pro

When the Draytek is hooked up to the broadband, it can't maintain a stable connection (drops after a few minutes). Plusnet hub2 has been stable so I have been using it as a modem for the Draytek.

However, last night the line dropped and now the hub2 is connected at 34Mb instead of 39Mb.