cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband and voice issues

JamesRB
Dabbler

Re: Broadband and voice issues

Testing… My reply to your message keeps vanishing!
JamesRB
Dabbler

I will try sending in pieces:

Thanks Gandalf,

I meant how does that test physically determine that there is a fault on the “lead-in”?
JamesRB
Dabbler

Is there any additional data output from the test which could help me narrow it down? I know a few things about TDR.
JamesRB
Dabbler

I see you have reset the profile. It’s significantly faster now but seems to be dropping quite often.

6. Data rate: 444 / 13919
7. Maximum data rate: 1069 / 13980
8. Noise margin: 22.8 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation: 18.4 / 35.5
10. Signal attenuation: 18.1 / 33.
JamesRB
Dabbler

Intermittent faults are a pain!

Many thanks,
James
JamesRB
Dabbler

I found a very interesting white paper about DSLAM line fault diagnosis and location techniques:
https://assia-inc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Modern_Line_Testing-White_Paper.pdf

Gandalf, do you know if the test you performed was a DELT test? Apparently a SELT test may better resolve a location but requires the CPE to be temporarily disconnected during the test.
Do you have any control or visibility over the exact nature of the tests?

Thanks,
James
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

From what I can see your posts were just stuck in the automated spam filter. One of our mods have released them and removed the duplicate ones for you.

Running a test sends a voltage down the line so should be able to roughly identify where a fault is from that. No other meaningful data to help narrow the issue down further.

Never heard of DELT or SELT if I’m being honest. We use a testing system called Knowledge Based Diagnostics. Haven’t got any other tests to run for an ADSL line. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Also out of interest I’ve had another look at that article and it’s from a company in the United States. How their systems work will likely be different to ours. 

The article we’ve made long ago here https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Broadband-Faults-Guide-Our-Testing/ba-p/1322786 might provide a bit of insight into how our testing systems work. 

Although I’d bear in mind that article was written in 2013. We’ve had some slight changes to Knowledge Based Diagnostics system in particular since then. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gandalf  - does this ADSL2 line have it's upload artificially capped ?

@JamesRB wrote:

I see you have reset the profile. It’s significantly faster now but seems to be dropping quite often.

6. Data rate: 444 / 13919
7. Maximum data rate: 1069 / 13980

@Anonymous wrote:

... ... if my memory serves me correctly, an upload "data rate" of 444 on ADSL2 means that your connection is artificially 'capped',  and you should ask a member of staff to uncap your line - and hopefully get your upload closer to that maximum data rate

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yes and no. The upload speed is provisioned as uncapped, but DLM has banded it, likely due to the drops. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the clarification !