Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Activation

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Broadband Activation

QoS is an advanced feature associated with giving priority to certain types of traffic. For most users the default value "Off" is fine. Users that need it are likely to be aware of this and understand the settings.
It's likely the disconnections you are experiencing are associated with the computer getting confused through having the dial-up and ADSL connections active at the same time. That can be done but requires special management, perhaps best not gone into at the present time.
The "always on" setting that's been mentioned, is likely to be already set, since it's the default. To check, access the router configuration page at 192.168.1.1, click Advanced in the left-hand menu, then Advanced in the centre of the screen. You will need to enter router username and password when prompted (both admin).
Then click Quick Setup and Next 3 times to get to the Configure Broadband Username and Password screen. The lower part of this screen shows "Session established by:" and the Always On radio button should be selected. If you change anything you need to click Next twice more to get to the Finish screen, then click Finish to store the new settings and restart the router. Otherwise you can browse to somewhere else leaving the settings as they were.
David
MightyMouse
Grafter

Thanks,
I have just checked, and it is set to always on .
So far since not using dial up today  I haven't had any trouble.
So , it does look rather like that is the problem.
MightyMouse
Grafter

When I got activated on Sat  I was getting approx 2.8mbps
download.
It then went down to  approx 2.4mbps, & yesterday it went down to  approx 1.9mbps, although it does seem to be holding quite steady at that . Should I expect it  to drop any further ?
MightyMouse
Grafter

I believe the dial-up modem is filtered , but I could always disconnect it for the moment to see if it makes any difference .
Don't have a sky box.
I don't think that I have a  two-part master BT socket somehow. is this a BT installed socket ?
I'm connected to the extension socket  that Bt put in .
I am unable to reach the original incoming socket
As  long as my speed doesn't dip any further, I'm not unduly worried .
The good news is, touch wood, that since I haven't used dial-up I haven't lost connection .

MightyMouse
Grafter

Thanks but I have been here 20 years  +
Had an extension put in when I moved in but I don't recall anything since.
So, I reckon these sockets are 20 years +
Definately  single piece.