Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Activation

Jovetic
Grafter

Re: Broadband Activation

Quote from: MightyMouse
Actually no I'm not , but my computer repair man lives literally 2 minutes away So Iwill get him to put it in for me.
Having said that holiday time is coming up so I might have to wait , But I do believe that I could start on USB and then swap over couldn't I ??

The idea of opening a computer seems quite daunting, but in reality it is a very simple process to add a graphics/lan/ram most things inside the PC.  Just slot it in, start your computer, windows update will find lan card drivers and away you go, saves you paying through the nose for someone to do it for you.
Jovetic
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
Not forgetting ESD precautions, ensuring the machine is powered down to avoid shorting the PSU..........
If the IT guy freelances in the same way I do he's a paid IT Professional and takes a bit of work from neighbours on the side. Shouldn't charge more than £10 for the job as it is extremely straightforward to someone who knows how and the OP might feel it's worth that for peace of mind.
Opening a PC case is really scary for most users.

Apologies, use common sense also. 
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not to mention he may need to use brute force to remove the rear slot cover plate
MightyMouse
Grafter

Well I have just got the computer back from the chap.
Said  he's not quite sure  but the cards are normally about £10 but he thinks he paid a bit less so call it £10.
I don't belive in throwing my money away but £10 including fitting just on Christmas . I thought he desreved another fiver
Broaband activation is due  after 12p tomorrow. so haven't yet decided whether to wait til then or have a look at it tonght .
P.s In general chat to  him I said that these sites that access what speed we should get in the area says that I should  upto 5mb in this area .
He replied that I would be lucky to get over 2mb in this village.
MightyMouse
Grafter

Well I've set my router up, and as Barry indicated in an earlier post (if i've read him correctly)if my lights stay on my broadband has been activated. They have all stayed on solid.
Unable to get any further  though as the setup   guide says that my broadband username is different to my account user name . It also says that my actual broadband username and password can be found on the activation e-mail that I have been sent . I haven't been sent this yet,but then my broadband isn't due to be activated until after 12pm tomorrow
zubel
Community Veteran

Your broadband username will be in the form:
signupname@visprealm
For an account of: "fredbloggs" on Plusnet that will be:
fredbloggs@plusdsl.net
I believe the F9 and other Virtual ISPs have their own realms.
The password will be whatever you signed up with.
Your account may not actually be "active" yet.  I fyou are definately sure you have the account and password set correctly in the router, give PN a quick call and ask them to "activate" your account because you a re already syncing with the exchange.
Should take them less than 20 minutes Smiley
B.
MightyMouse
Grafter

Perhaps I'm mistaken. i've just tried it again after going offline with my dial -up and the light named internet hasn't come on although I thought it did before.
MightyMouse
Grafter

Yes and it stays on steady.
MightyMouse
Grafter

Excuse my ignorrence , but what are these stats, and where do I find them.  ?Huh
Are you saying that as my DSL light stays on that bt  HAVE activated my Broadband  ?Huh
paulby
Grafter

If the DSL light is on then BT have activated your broadband.
If you've entered your username (in the form of username@plusdsl.net) amd password into the router and still aren't connecting then give PlusNet support a call on 0114 296 5198 and they'll activate your account at their end (both BT and PlusNet need to activate their respective bits!).
Your username in username@plusdsl.net is the name you log into the main PlusNet website with and the password is also the same as you log into the PlusNet website with.
MightyMouse
Grafter

My last post seems to have gone astray  somehow, so I will try again.
Contacted Plusnet who said that although the DSL light is on it  needs 24hrs to settle down and will not be activated until the said time of 12pm tomorrow
MightyMouse
Grafter

Well i'ts now past 12pm(it's now12.37pm) on the 22nd and  I stil can't gain access to the internet with my Broadband .
Do I give them another ring or do I give them a little longer ?Huh
MightyMouse
Grafter

Thanks  PJ,
I've just given it another try, but stil no connection , so will give them a ring. 
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I'd just gone to have a look and see if htere's anything I could do but it appears you've got through and had the account activated already. Please let me know if you have any further issues, sorry for not getting to this in time.
MightyMouse
Grafter

Hello Orbrey,
Yes, I got through  and was told that they were waiting for Bt
to let them know that it had been activated, but rather than make me wait any longer they would activate me now.
Was told that if I rebooted my machine that everything would be ready .
Well, I have re-booted both my Pc and my Router at least 4 times . All 4 lights are now on but I cannot gain access
It will not even bring up the signing in page now.
I did try other pages just in case the sign  in page is no longer required , but no luck whatsoever.