Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus N66U Users Thread

toolateforaname
Grafter

Re: Asus N66U Users Thread

Quote from: tijara33
If you want something really fast then buy the RT-AC68U.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/asus-rt-ac68u-802-11ac-router_Peripheral_review

No mention of VDSL support though?
AndyH
Grafter

The RT-AC68U is due to be replaced in the next month or so by the RT-AC87U, so I wouldn't bother getting a RT-AC68U.
For an integrated VDSL modem, you need to look at the DSL-xxxx range - e.g. DSL-AC68U.
RhubarbRubbing

Hi All,
I received this router today to swap out the Technicolour, so need to set it up and I'm not the most savvy when it comes to networking. Should I just follow this instructions in the set up guide manual or does anyone have a link where the instructions may have been recorded in layman's terms?
Thanks in advance!
AndyH
Grafter

To be honest, it's fairly straightforward.
There's an automated set up which will take a couple of mins and get you online. After that, there are lots of different settings/configurations you can use depending on what you want to do.
RhubarbRubbing

Thanks for replying so quickly Andy. So I just need my SSID and log in details and away I go then?
AndyH
Grafter

You don't even need your SSID.
When you switch on the router and it goes into installation mode, it will automatically set up an open wireless network for you to join without a password. You join this network and then go to http://192.168.1.1 and admin/admin.
Part of the setup will then be to configure the SSID and wireless security (password etc.).
RhubarbRubbing

Awesome. Thanks again. So one last question if you don't mind for when I do eventually need to enter the SSID. Do I need to get my SSID from PN or is this user defined?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Do I need to get my SSID from PN or is this user defined?

You use which ever SSID you decide on. I use my christian name + plusnet + either 2.4 or 5 Ghz to easily differentiate between the 2 frequencies. You also choose your own passwords which are obviously case sensitive.
Like you I know very little about routers & as Andy said, I found setting up my RT-N56U incredibly easy. It has the same GUI as the 66. Good surfing.  Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it is a good idea to name your SSID with something that I identifies that it a belonging to your home.
    e.g.  "69RhubarbStreet"
That way your immediate neighbours can easily avoid using the same channels you are on, because it is obvious where the broadcast SSID is coming from.
RhubarbRubbing

Thanks all. Installed easy peasy as you suggested it would. Speeds (50up and 17dl) and ping (15) seem unchanged from the Technicolor but coverage seems a bit better.
redbull2k14
Grafter

I just bought a dsl n66u. Over a few days my sync dropped almost by half. Anyone else had this happen?
shure
Grafter

Quote from: bobboulby
Quote from: Hiijinx
Will I be able to view stats such as noise margin and errors etc or do I need a router with built in modem to cut out the Open reach box completely ?

I can't speak for the Openreach modem but in my set-up I use a Netgear DG834G in modem only mode. Normally I can't see the Netgear at all so I can't get to the line stats. It is possible however to connect  to directly the Netgear using an Ethernet cable and then I can get to the Netgear web interface.
Bob

Hi bobboulby.
I know this is an old post but hopefully you still read it!  Can you tell me how you do this?  I have exactly the same setup (only with a DG834PN) but when I connect an ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports on the Netgear I cannot access the web interface.  I type in the default address but the page won't connect.  Am I missing a simply trick?
bobboulby
Grafter

Hi, this definitely worked when I first set it up but I've just tried it again and am getting the same as you. I haven't had time to experiment but I wonder if it's to do with the way my laptop is now configured i.e. to connect to the Asus rather than the Netgear. You may have to change the laptop network settings to get it to work.
Bob.
shure
Grafter

Hi Bob,
thank you for getting back so quick.  I'll keep plugging away as if it worked once then there's hope!  I'm no expert but one issue I can see is if the router is handling DHCP and the modem just passes through then it wouldn't have an IP address surely?  Or have I misunderstood that?
shure
bobboulby
Grafter

I see what you mean. Thinking about what I did, it worked for me before I connected up the Asus so, maybe once you've done that you can't get to the Netgear again. I wouldn't really count myself as a networking expert either  Embarrassed maybe someone else will chip in with some ideas.
Bob