Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus N66U Users Thread

thomasjc1
Grafter

Re: Asus N66U Users Thread

Quote from: darklight
Seems not able to pick up the 5ghz wifi on the laptop or iphone 4, i tagged the 5ghz SSID as plusnet_5g, not picking nothing up, other than the 2.4ghz wifi which is very strong.

You won't pick up 5 on your iPhone as it dosnt support it,and probably the same on your laptop then you will need to install a new wifi card and a third antenna which I have just done. I have a intel centrino 6300 ultimate n card installed. Card was £20 antenna was £2 easy on my toshiba laptop to fit.
thomasjc1
Grafter

Brilliant thread AndyH so has the 352 firmware made much of a difference to wifi and also when are asus bringing out official 352 firmware
darklight
Grafter

In that case i may aswell disable the 5ghz for now, i think i found where you disable it, tell me if i'm right, i goto Advanced Settings/wireless, then tag Frequency set to 5ghz, tab at top Professional, then Enable Radio set to NO, is that it?  Undecided
chuckster
Grafter

That's the one.
To be honest, I've got both my SSIDs labelled the same.  I've read multiple different articles about the good and bad points for doing this, and the same for having separately identified SSIDs.  Maybe I'm just very lucky, but all of my 5GHz capable devices went straight onto that range, while everything else connected via the 2.4GHz signal.  Lovely.
TBag
Grafter

@chuckster
Yes I did the same when I bought the Apple Airport Extreme a year back, ie set 2.4 & 5 with the same SSID. The only drawback (if you could call it a drawback) is that you don't know which one your laptop/phone has connected to. As I set the frequency on my android phones to auto, in theory it could connect to either, so it needs to be queried to figure out which one it is connected to. So I just appended a 5 to the SSID of 5ghz signal. Done the same with the Asus rt-n66u, which is located on the second floor near the master socket. Gives brilliant signal throughout the house.
the 352 Beta is out, one of the sites is this. I'll wait for the official release, and I guess Merlin will also probably update their firmware, after the official release.
flaminmoses
Grafter

got the ac version.
pings are a nightmare on 5ghz wireless
TBag
Grafter

Are they? Asus RT-N66U, using 5GHZ WiFi signal....

jim:quote
thomasjc1
Grafter

Yea I get pings of 9 on the 5ghz and I get speeds of 73mbps all over the house
upstairs 5ghz
TBag
Grafter

That's very good speed. And I hear that version 352 has improvements on the WiFi and PPPoE over the current version.
jim:quote
TBag
Grafter

So have been using RT-N66U for 5 days now. It works great, but then every day it locks me out. It has now happened quite a few times to get me worried. Last night it happened twice.
I've done a 30-30-30 reset to clear out the NVRAM, still it locks me out, and I can't get to the router GUI. I also followed the Merlin advice here to erase the nvram settings that tell the router that someone is already logged in, since the router doesn't allow more than one simultaneous user to be logged in. Still no go.
Any ideas would be appreciated, before I pack it up and get a replacement  Angry
Bright
Grafter

@TBag
Is it just the router GUI that you are locked out of, or the whole network and internet access?
Are you connecting via ethernet or wifi? Is it the same on both?
TBag
Grafter

Hi Bright,
It's just the router GUI. The network works perfectly, both the 2.4 & 5 work flawlessly.
Yes I have tried connecting to the router via both by wifi, and ethernet by connecting to one of the router's ethernet port. What RMerlin says in this thread could be the cause, but then I use just one laptop with the same IP address to connect to the router, so why and how would it apply here, I am still wondering.
Bright
Grafter

So you are getting the "You cannot Login unless logout another user first" message?
Are you using the same web browser on your laptop each time?
chuckster
Grafter

If it's what Bright is referring to, I've had the same when logging in from my laptop, then trying to log in on my phone.  Basically you can only have one session to the GUI open at a time.  Have had it when I renewed IP too, which was a bit of a schoolboy error... had to wait for the router to time out the previously open connection (or restart it) so the new one could connect.
Just remember to 'log out' when you've finished making your changes to avoid the issue.  Wink
TBag
Grafter

So you are getting the "You cannot Login unless logout another user first" message?
Are you using the same web browser on your laptop each time?

No I do not get any such message. The browser just does not do any thing. I've left the browser for 10 minutes, the progress bar barely moves. I've used different browsers from different laptops windows/mac, my mobile etc, nothing doing. Puzzling.