cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you satisfied with the Plusnet router tg582n ?

daimonde

Re: Are you satisfied with the Plusnet router tg582n ?

Quote from: chrispurvey
Hi daimonde,
As suggested above, have you tried changing your wireless channel to see if that helps?

thanks for the reply, i dont really want to hijack this thread but my problems are mainly wired, not wireless, the wireless are phones & a netbook, i have ongoing issues with my wired desktop connection. The loss of wifi is an annoyance but not in the same way as having a sometimes 1-5mb connection when trying to stream on whats supposed to be a 75mb connection.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Ahhh I see, we've got your wireshark so we'll take a look through that and see what it throws up.
rja66
Rising Star

Compared to my previous Belkin G+ Mimo router which has caused me so many different issues over the last few years, the tg582n is proving to be an excellent performer in all areas and well worth the £6 delivery charge !  Smiley
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

I briefly tested and compared the fibre TG582N's wireless with my other routers.  
For 802.11g connected devices, the signal strength was as good as my 2700HGV for wireless coverage.
The 802.11n wifi signal strength of my TG582N seemed 'weaker' than a DIR-615 rev. D2 at longer range through plasterboard walls etc.  But when fibre speed tests were performed, the TG582N was faster by about 10% - this difference might be due to age of the DIR-615 and I am using the 615 as a WAP connected to the 582N.
One thing I did observe is the wifi signal strength of the TG582N is really sensitive to its surroundings.  When laid horizontally flat on a wooden window sill, I discovered if I propped up each corner of the router by about an inch (originally to improve air circulation to underside of the router to keep it running cool), the wireless signal strength improved by a few dB.   Similarly, if the router was placed vertically against a wall, the signal strength seemed to dip too.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
totalguy
Grafter

Quote from: Justin7
Personally I think Plusnet should provide a better router or at least an option to upgrade it so I thought I'd start a poll!

for a free router its "ok" other providers provide better routers free though with big brand names.
Hi daimonde,
As suggested above, have you tried changing your wireless channel to see if that helps?

i had a big wireless issue changing channel made a difference but its still not as reliable as my old isp's router.
Quote from: StevieK
well all i can say is the talk talk router that next door has gives a solid 100% signal on my PS3 in my upstairs office  Grin (spare bedroom) where as this FTTC Plusnet one only gets 67% & fluctuates badly also the signal on Talk Talk one next door has to go thru the main dividing wall between the houses which includes the fireplace so almost like double thickness they are only a few feet apart on opposite sides of the wall. so not really sure why the plusnet router struggles so badly with far less obstructions in the way.  Sad

we have a similar issue wireless doesnt work well upstairs
Wassie

The wireless is awful what ever channel one selects. My old Billion router knocks spots off the Plusnet router for range and speed.
bwlmog
Dabbler

I've using this router for the past two weeks and wireless signal is awful.  I'm already thinking about getting a new router which is money I could really do without spending.  Wish PN had an option to pay extra for alternative routers when placing orders.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Wassie
Have you tried positioning the router in a different place or even on its side?
@bwlmog
Have you tried changing your wireles channel?
mancmackem
Grafter

Is there a specific order of channels people would suggest to try if problems are encountered on the TG582N?
In the past on ADSL, people suggested to use a tool to scan the local area to see what wireless channels other routers were using in the area, and select a channel that was not being used by other equipment.
I've not changed providers for 6 years so I've been out of the game for a while, trying to dust myself off  Cheesy
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

mancmackem still the same use http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ to find a channel not in use
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

The latest version of InSSIDer also gives a "channel rating" for the one highlighted, which may help with selection. It's based on channel overlap calculations. It also doesn't like you selecting channel 13 (not available in USA) Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: StevieK
Hi njay I do understand that the Gigabit port would make no difference to the wireless performance, the comment about the lack of at least one gigbit port was more aimed at for using with my media streamer as HD content can be a wee bit hit & miss at times, after all if BT can provide one on the Home Hub 3 then why not this one  Huh I keep looking at the ASUS RT-N66U myself but its a bit to expensive for my blood atm  Cry

Do you actually realise how many full HD streams you could run simultaneously over 100Mb? The fact that you haven't got gigabit will be nothing to do with it being hit and miss at times and everything to do with what you have connected at either end!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
njay
Grafter

I agree. I can stream a bluray rip (18Mbs rate apparently) from my nsa310 over the wireless N to my Samsung es6800 tv with no drop outs so I would hope that 100Mbs wired would cope with several. Only time I really Use gigabit is transferring media from PC as even raw files from DSLR are large when you've taken 100s lol.
Wassie

@Wassie
Have you tried positioning the router in a different place or even on its side?
@bwlmog
Have you tried changing your wireles channel?

Thanks I have tried the router in different places and tested strength / channels with Inssider. Conclusion - rubbish wireless functionality I am afraid. I live in a house which has elderly Internet free neighbours and there are no DECT phones or microwaves etc near the router ( trying to avoid EMC geek talk). Sorry Plusnet but there are too many complaints for the wireless weakness to be ignored.
totalguy
Grafter

Quote from: mancmackem
Is there a specific order of channels people would suggest to try if problems are encountered on the TG582N?
In the past on ADSL, people suggested to use a tool to scan the local area to see what wireless channels other routers were using in the area, and select a channel that was not being used by other equipment.
I've not changed providers for 6 years so I've been out of the game for a while, trying to dust myself off  Cheesy

plusnet told me 1 6 or 12.
i never ever touched channel on my sky router and i was with them for years. I may even get the router firmware of my sky router flashed and use with plusnet keep this plusnet one as a spare then.