cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you satisfied with the Plusnet router tg582n ?

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Are you satisfied with the Plusnet router tg582n ?

@mancmackem if you have an android device you could try this app which gives you a good idea of what channels have strong signals around you
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en
njay
Grafter

That's the one I use. It shows my nano router has a stronger signal than my 582n even when I'm standing next to the latter and 10m from the former lol.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: njay
That's the one I use. It shows my nano router has a stronger signal than my 582n even when I'm standing next to the latter and 10m from the former lol.
well i have a tg582n upstairs and tbh i had to turn my living room ap tx UP to stop my stuff trying to connect to the tg582n upstairs.
I've had my share of problems with the tg582n, but signal came last on my list of stuff that caused me any bother.
At the moment i seem to have everything working as expected, now either it was down to me messing around with tweaks or plusnet did something that stopped my dns resolver type problems. Either way atm i'm happy with the plusnet router... omg did i just ssy that lol......
Shocked
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

I've had no problems with the TG582N.
I would comment that the GUI is very restricted and the wireless range is very poor compared with others I've tried, but it connected and worked flawlessly straight out of the box so I'm pretty satisfied for a freebie!
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I've had to vote yes as it does what it says on the tin.  The fact that I might prefer that it was better (wifi, user interface, configurability, user restriction configuration etc) is somewhat besides the point.  It acts as a functional reference point in the situation where oe suspects issues with the BT line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

As I require good wireless through a floor & 2 walls I binned  both 582ns ( PN kindly sent me a spare in case the first one was faulty). Therefore I vote a resounding NO! Angry
alan659882
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Voted yes.
Pros ..
-- worked straight out of the box without ANY configuration - easy for non-techy types (Probably the overwhelming majority)
-- Having switched from my trusty old DG834G, I'm surprised to find that the Wifi performance is quite a bit better both in speed (The 'N', I guess) and signal coverage. This seems to conflict with what others are saying here.
Cons
-- GUI is not intuitive, even for someone with years of experience in data networking
-- Getting port forwarding for an FTP server to work was, umm ... challenging!
-- Had to abandon the GUI and telnet in to configure OpenDNS. Can't believe that!
Overall, I'd say excellent value for £5.99
JohnGalloway
Grafter

gets a no from me too because of the Undecided poor wireless coverage. much worse than the TP-Link TD-W8960  Cry it replaced when we switched to fibre.
other than the wireless, it's fine.
but wireless coverage is an absolute must.  Angry
John
njay
Grafter

@johngalloway.
Why not use the 8960n as it can be reconfigured to have one of its LAN ports as a EWAN?
JohnGalloway
Grafter

given it away to my brother-in-law for him to use.  Undecided
washboardmac
Grafter

Hi All

Was initially happy but after going to U/L definitely not.
The Wi-Fi performance is not good enough. It's now the weak link.  None of the devices I've got will connect at more than 65Mbps even though all three are capable of more.  Even messing around with CLI commands will not enable more than 144Mbps from the router.  It's supposed to be able to support up to 300Mbps but no go for me.  I'll admit I'm in a busy area for Wi-Fi but this, for me, just highlights the device's weaknesses.
Opened a support ticket but they weren't interested once I mentioned CLI.  Is it faulty?  Perhaps it's crippled.  Either way it's not good enough to be used for a premium product, i.e. up to 80Mbps fibre.
On the plus side it does what it does reliably. I'm used to its UI from my previous O2 box so got my configuration needs done OK.
Andy