cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ SNR target not reset

Shaun2000
Grafter

ADSL2+ SNR target not reset

My ADSL2 was turned on today, 855 kbps upload,  but I notice the noise margin target is still at 15db when I reboot the router.
I was hoping this would be reset when the trial went active as I had a problem phone that caused it to be set so high.
At the moment I'm have a 2 meg connection on a line that should support at least 3.5meg with my 56db attenuation.
Does this mean it's stuck since it didn't go back to 6db when the trial was activated for me?
Can it be manualy reset or am I stuck with this as it is?
So many questions Smiley
Shaun
28 REPLIES 28
markrach
Grafter

Re: ADSL2+ SNR target not reset

I would have thought being as its in a way a new onnection on different hardware you should be on a standered 6dB profile , but i have read they can put you on a 15dB profile if the line is noisy .
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

with my 56db attenuation
  Cheesy
No way are you going to get a better download speed - it could even be reduced.
You might get a greater upstream rate though - which is good for P2P.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Rotorsport

Same here, went live today on ADSL2 and I'm also stuck on a 15db profile which I had on ADSL Max.
Called support and raised a ticket to see if BT will reset this back to a 6db profile.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Experience from those on the trial suggests the DLM on 21CN does a far better job of controlling target noise margin, changing it quite quickly (within days) when justified. So a high initial value need not generate the same concerns as with maxDSL.
One user (at least) is running with a 3dB target noise margin (link). The range on 21CN has been quoted as 3dB to 18dB.
David
David
scootie
Grafter

when mine was upgraded it kept my 12db adsl target but within 2 days adsl2 had increased it to 15db and now stuck at that for just under a week.
hopefully once the 10 days have passed things will sort them selfs out but with the snr target staying at 12db when switched i cant see there being a 10 day training period to be honest
Sauniere
Grafter

My SNR is around 12-15db also.  I have asked the question about it being targetted to 6db (as I believe it should have been) and was told to leave it a few days and it should change.  This was a week ago though and nothing has changed.  I think it needs manually setting.  I know it's possible to do it via some routers by telnetting into them but it reverts back each time you reboot the router.  It definitely needs PN to set it
scootie
Grafter

unforttonatley the msan's dont alow you tweak your snr alot i think mine wouldnt allow any more than 80% no matter what how much i tweaked mine
Shaun2000
Grafter

Just to update I just switched on this afternoon and the target has dropped to 9db and synced at 3069 which I believe gives me a 2.5meg
connection according to BT wholesales over the top bras settings Wink
scootie
Grafter

you running interleaving or fast path shaun2000?
Shaun2000
Grafter

interleaving
JEB
Grafter

For some reason the DSLAM has decided to set a 18db target margin on my line which is killing my connection sync.  If this isn't changed automatically in the next couple of days can this be manually reset?

James
markrach
Grafter

It can yes , i would put a ticket in for it or ask Jameseh when he's back
Do you have any noise on your line thou ? this maybe a reason why they set a high target SNR.
Mark
JEB
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.  Do you know when Jameseh  is back?
My line certainly isn't great, however it's not so bad as to require a 18db target margin!
James
Moderator's Note: Full quote of previous post removed - Forum Rules. David (spraxyt)
markrach
Grafter

No i don't sorry , you will know when he is , 9am he will pop up as users online  Grin