Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL wont connect on newly installed telephone socket

bbrazil
Dabbler

ADSL wont connect on newly installed telephone socket

Hi all,
I've just had a telephone engineer install an additional telephone socket in my house. This is not a new telephone line, simply an additional socket on an existing line. It would seem that the engineer has wired directly into the junction box outside my house. The new socket is only a few metres away from this box. I can use a phone without any problems on this new socket, howerver I cant get my router to connect to the Internet.
Internet connectivity on other phone sockets in the house continue to work correctly.
Has the engineer done something wrong? Should he have wired the new socket through the master socket in the house? Is there anything that I can do to get this socket to connect to the Internet?
Thanks,
Ben.
29 REPLIES 29
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: ADSL wont connect on newly installed telephone socket

Do you have a filtered face plate on the master socket?
It is likely it is coming through the master socket and that he has used a spare pair of wires to get back to the junction box and then connected that to the extension (at least that is what he should have done!).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Sounds like the engineer has broken several "rules of BT".  Lips_are_sealed
I'd get him back to do it properly (NOT as Jelv suggests  Shocked  ) with a dedicated cable all the way from the new socket to the master.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

What is actually wrong with doing it the way I suggested? That's what the engineer did for me and it works fine.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Trust me it's very wrong both from the point of interfering with BT equipment and for getting the best broadband.  Cry
No doubt someone with more time than I have today will explain at length.  Cool
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You are presuming that this was not a BT engineer, but that is not actually stated.
Logically using a spare pair of wires back to the junction box is no different to using any hard wired extension for broadband and although not optimal is not inherently worse.
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi bbrazil thanks for getting in touch,
If i'm understanding the situation correctly, you can use the phone no problems in all sockets and you can connect to broadband from all sockets except the newly install socket.
Can you confirm that you only have a single telephone line at the property?  (i.e. all lines are linked to the same telephone number.)
Also i'd recommend you try your router in the engineers testing socket as pictured below:

This will validate that your line is working correctly and therefore correctly installed by the engineer.  You can then work through connecting to each of your extensions sockets to trace where the issue lies.  Bear in mind that with the master socket front plate removed all of your extensions will be disconnected and only the test socket will be live.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: jelv
Logically using a spare pair of wires back to the junction box is no different to using any hard wired extension for broadband and although not optimal is not inherently worse.

But the spare pare of wires need to be attached to the detachable faceplate of the master socket whilst sharing a cable with wires that are attached to the fixed part of the master socket.  That sounds like it could be a bit awkward, although I guess not if done well. 
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That is exactly what he did. There was a considerable length of stripped cable which meant it wasn't that awkward.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Alex
Hi bbrazil thanks for getting in touch,
If i'm understanding the situation correctly, you can use the phone no problems in all sockets and you can connect to broadband from all sockets except the newly install socket.
Can you confirm that you only have a single telephone line at the property?  (i.e. all lines are linked to the same telephone number.)
Also i'd recommend you try your router in the engineers testing socket as pictured below:

This will validate that your line is working correctly and therefore correctly installed by the engineer.  You can then work through connecting to each of your extensions sockets to trace where the issue lies.  Bear in mind that with the master socket front plate removed all of your extensions will be disconnected and only the test socket will be live.

Alex you need to add that when using the test socket he needs to check that the extension socket has stopped working. If the extension is still working it is wired incorrectly.
bbrazil
Dabbler

Hi All,
First of all, thank you all very much for your responses.
Alex, in response to your questions, yes I can use a phone from all sockets in the house and can attach my broadband router successfully in all sockets in the house apart from the newly installed socket. I forgot to mention in my original post that when a telephone is connected to the new socket the phone does not ring when an incoming call comes in.
So, here is some more information. The person who carried out the work was not a BT engineer, although he claims to be an experienced telephone engineer!
I have two separate telephone lines / numbers coming into my house.
I've carried out some tests as suggested. First of all I have removed the faceplate from the master socket and have connected my router via a microfilter to the engineers testing socket. The router was able to connect to the Internet without issue. However, whilst the master socket faceplate was removed, my other sockets continued to work, including the newly installed socket. I gather therefore something is wrong with the wiring.
The engineer who performed this work didn't touch the master socket.
I have attached a photo of the master socket with the faceplate removed:
I have also attached a photo of the newly installed socket.
Is there anything visibly wrong with the wiring from this end?
If you can see any problems can you advise what needs to be done to rectify the problem? Is this easy to do?
Many thanks for all suggestions and help.
Ben.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: bbrazil
although he claims to be an experienced telephone engineer!

It sounds like he has years of experience of being useless!
If an extension still works when the faceplate is removed from the master socket the wiring is wrong. No ifs or buts, its wrong!
bbrazil
Dabbler

In practical terms, what are the implications of having a master socket incorrectly wired?
matt_2k34
Grafter

what are the implications of having a master socket incorrectly wired?

Anything from cross-talk, bad interference, crappy broadband speeds/throughput/lots of errors on the line (= packet loss), to a totally non working service.
Amazingly theres been a few cases of "badly" wired up Master sockets in the last few weeks...  Shocked BT + Training =  Undecided
If you can see any problems can you advise what needs to be done to rectify the problem

If the issue is BEHIND the test socket (e.g. you had to remove the faceplate to notice) its BT's problem, and BT need to sort it. (Altering anything beyond here, which causes an issue could result in a fine/cost incurred for repair work)
With that said, I'm sure someone who's done it before will probably give you some other advice (but id expect the best course of action is to get PN to kick BT (and probably best if they remove the lot and start over, with a brand spanking new* master socket)
* = new as in terms of set up and wired, rather than new kit 😛
Regards
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I've just had a telephone engineer install an additional telephone socket in my house. ..... I can use a phone without any problems on this new socket, howerver I cant get my router to connect to the Internet.

when a telephone is connected to the new socket the phone does not ring when an incoming call comes in.

The engineer who performed this work didn't touch the master socket.

Surely this is just a case of some cowboy making a complete mess?