cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disconnects when phone rings

mac
Grafter

Re: disconnects when phone rings

i have gone through the test for raising a ticket  and have come up against the question  ( have you tried a new router no i haven't so now  i have  to go out and bye one,
one of my main problems is i get disconnected when the house phone rings , or when i try to make a phone call do that sound like router problem?Huh
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Mac,
Personally, I wouldn't buy a new router, I would try and quickly borrow one from a friend or family member. I can appreciate that spending £40+ is a lot of money, especially if it isn't the router at fault.
It could be a hardware issue most definitely, but on the other hand it could be an issue with the line/splitter card at your Local Exchange. If you could try an alternative router, with an alternative microfilter in your Test socket that would be great.
There really isn't much more that you can personally do from your point of view if you have done that. If the issue continues in the Test Socket as mentioned above, I would certainly <a href="http://faults.plus.net">Raise a Fault</a>
mac
Grafter

ok thanks am tempted to buy a new net gear router one am using is the  DG834N RangeMax NEXT Wireless which is great am on hard wired,  son on wireless laptop,  wife on iPad ,, and other son on Xbox all been happy for 2 or 3 years ,
i don't mind replacing router i would only upgrade to net gear n600 £ 109.00, but am convinced its not the router but the line card Undecided
PAPED
Dabbler

Do you have any extensions wired from the master socket? If you do, do these have any wires connected pins 1, 3, 4, or 6 if they do removed them as you only need wires on pins 2 and 5 for phone/ADSL and especially if pin 3 the old ring wire is connected it can cause problems. Had to do this when I moved house to get a stable connection.... Certainly worth a check, hope this helps....
mac
Grafter

no
i been in this house for 3.5 years the trouble started only 6 or 8 weeks ago up until then solid connection never a blip, gone straight to the master ,
had bt out not long after i moved in 3 years ago with connection problem turned out to be line card needed pulling out and re seating after that no probs until now
mac
Grafter

hello
i have now installed a new router and it all seems stable.. using the phone does not disconnect anymore, and so far no random disconnections so fingers crossed it was the router at fault .
i have done a quite line test and there is a low intermittent hum and then perfect silence.
my line speed is low at 2.61 and 0.84 should i expect more in this day and age?? 
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Yes your line does appear to be stable now, just need to monitor it and make sure it stays stable. This looks like it may have caused your speeds to be slower than your line can achieve. Your IP profile is currently banded, by the looks of it this is due to the disconnections.
Your profile will pick itself back up providing your line remains stable, so first we just need to make sure your line is stable.
I'd advise leaving your router switched on.
Chris