tony8436
Grafter

Re: Speed drop after moving to Plusnet from Sky

And current speed test result:-
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4088099368
jem16
Grafter

I'm sure if Chris said that he did it, then he did. Sometimes these can fail through no fault of the CRT team. Perhaps give them a chance to help you - a lot of your complaints could have been avoided with a bit more research before moving.
Your stats show your router is only up for 20 minutes - any reason for that?
tony8436
Grafter

More research before moving would mean that I would needed to know about LLU and other technical things. As I'm a user, not a broadband engineer, I had no idea how badly it would be affected, I trusted the sales team from PN. As for the router only being up for 20 mins, you guessed it, tech support, "turn the router off and on again".
jem16
Grafter

Quote from: tony8436
More research before moving would mean that I would needed to know about LLU and other technical things. As I'm a user, not a broadband engineer, I had no idea how badly it would be affected,

I'm a user, not a BB engineer. I did know about LLU having researched it before moving to O2 in 2010 having previously been on Virgin cable BB.
So far you seem pretty close to Sky's speed and that may have been down to Sky using a 3db target. Until you try that and see if it's stable you can't compare - unless of course you know what SNR target Sky were using?
I trusted the sales team from PN.

I wouldn't trust any sales team and that includes Sky and O2.
As for the router only being up for 20 mins, you guessed it, tech support, "turn the router off and on again".

What had you asked tech support this time?
Surely it would make more sense to let Chris deal with it?
tony8436
Grafter

Quote from: jem16
Surely it would make more sense to let Chris deal with it?

I asked them why my speed has now dropped to below 2 Mbps.
I would have let Chris deal with it but I need the faster speed now so I can Skype my children and he seems to be away. I can't wait another 24 hours for him to do something that might not even work.
AndyH
Grafter

You should be within the requirements for Skype - https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1417/how-much-bandwidth-does-skype-need
tony8436
Grafter

At these speeds it is very unstable, keeps freezing and cutting out, Even with nothing else running on my computer and my mobile disconnected from the wi-fi. I used to be able to have a video call with other applications running and mobile connected to wi-fi. I know the fault is not at the other end because my ex wife has a good internet connection with Sky fibre.
AndyH
Grafter

Have you tried a wired connection to see if that makes any difference?
tony8436
Grafter

I was getting the 3 Mbps with a wireless connection and my mobile connected to wi-fi. Now I am getting less than 2 Mbps with my mobile disconnected and a wired connection.
AndyH
Grafter

I was trying to see if there may be some interference or something which is causing your wireless connection to be erratic (and affecting your Skype).
tony8436
Grafter

My friend mentioned that when I told him about the problems which is why I switched to a wired connection. I have also tried a different router, filter, cable connecting the computer to the router and tried my laptop both wired and wireless. The only thing I haven't been able to change is from the socket to the exchange.
AndyH
Grafter

What about trying to alter the Skype settings? Is there an option to lower the quality?
tony8436
Grafter

I don't see why I should have to put up with low quality video calls because PN can't provide the service I was getting before.
AndyH
Grafter

Even with Sky you wouldn't have been able to meet the minimum requirements for HD calling.
tony8436
Grafter

With Sky, the call didn't keep dropping or freezing.