cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorry.....But I am sick to death with the problems on my line.

CWatters
Grafter

Re: Sorry.....But I am sick to death with the problems on my line.

Sounds a bit like a water pump or similar? Any of the houses near you not on mains sewers and have their own micro sewage plant?  Any need a pump to move the sewage up hill to get to the main sewer? Any new houses built around the time this started?
godsell4
Rising Star

@alex7127 your upstream SNR is very low, this is not normal. Reasons for this? I would have to defer to PN for an opinion.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It's always been like that (since before the current fault ticket was raised, and wasn't an awful lot higher on 20CN). Judging by the sort of responses Alex has been getting on his ticket lately, I doubt there would be any useful or constructive comment that would enable him to track the source of his problem. His line is considered to be stable and performing within expected limits for its length (most of the time).
alex7127
Grafter

Never been asked this one before........correct, this estate is not on the mains sewage......and yes there is a pump to give our sewage a helping hand to the main.......and the said pump station is probably a 100m or so away from my house. Do these pumps not pump all the time though?

Quote from: CWatters
Sounds a bit like a water pump or similar? Any of the houses near you not on mains sewers and have their own micro sewage plant?  Any need a pump to move the sewage up hill to get to the main sewer? Any new houses built around the time this started?
alex7127
Grafter

AND yes the second phase of this estate started to be built  around the time my BB service starting acting up....circa getting on for 1 year ago.
Quote from: CWatters
Anotherone
Champion

You'll have to investigate that (but I'd have thought it might operate more at weekends for obvious reasons).
WWWombat
Grafter

I guess this sorts out the first route to go with the radio...
As for the timing... it probably depends more on whether it has to pump rainwater run-off as well as sewage. Is there any correlation with the weather?
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

A modern estate will not be putting surface water in to the sewage.
The pumps tend to have a float switch which turns on at a set level and then pumps away most of the waste till it reaches a lower level, so they will run for an extended period at infrequent intervals (we used to have one beside our house where we lived many years ago).
Edit: A thought.
As the level in the storage tank drops the pump is going to have to work harder which might explain the sudden drop in noise margin when it turns on and then the gradual decrease over a period until it turns off.
Edit 2: Correct brain fade!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Just to echo Jelv's comment, I used to live opposite such a pump (although not for the last 15 years).  Whilst not intrusively loud, you could hear when the pump was running and it definitely was not on all the time. 
Anotherone
Champion

@jelv
You meant "decrease" in margin? Otherwise, agreed a good possibility.
Edit: This could turn out to be a right load of ..........
alex7127
Grafter

Hmmmm....I await my next event...then off to the pump I go with my tranny. God, the people around here are going to think I am bonkers!
More often than not I have observed my events Monday to Friday and not at the weekends (but not exclusively).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Anotherone
You meant "decrease" in margin? Otherwise, agreed a good possibility.

Whoops! I've corrected that.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
alex7127
Grafter

Approached the events from a different angle today. Instead of sitting in front of my pc all day watching RSL graphs for an event to commence.........I turned my m/w tranny on and kept by my side all day and waited to hear an event take off.
Yes I did get an event........results....
1.  'Soft' power  down of router. Event still audiable.
2.  Turned of House mains on the fuse board. Event still audiable. Cause is not in my house then.
3.  Go outside and have a walk around the front of my house and around. Event still audiable......but have narrowed the event being audiable down to an approximate area.
4.  Walked up to sewage pump. Event NOT audiable. This is ruled out then.
I think this is the way forward...... to keep my tranny on all the time and keep it by myself in the house....at least then I get to hear the event as soon as it starts and this gives me the maximum time to investigate it before it ends.
RIGHT........so it is nothing in my house that is the cause. It is not the Sewage pumping station.
Lastly let me through this into the mix.........how about if I was to mention that one of my close neighbours is in to Amateur Radio (Radio Ham)...his house is smothered with a load of fecking massive aerials of all sizes and shapes. Could this be linked?
Alex Crazy
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: alex7127
Lastly let me through this into the mix.........how about if I was to mention that one of my close neighbours is in to Amateur Radio (Radio Ham)...his house is smothered with a load of fecking massive aerials of all sizes and shapes. Could this be linked?

You're winding us up, surely?  See http://www.rsars.org.uk/ELIBRARY/BBCONNECT.pdf
To quote the author
Even if I powered down my own router, every time I went on the bands with QRP, I disconnected all the neighbouring broadband routers around me. If you think TVI makes you unpopular, this adds a whole new dimension.
alex7127
Grafter

Reed, no I am not winding you up? Why would I?
Could this be a real problem?
Alex Crazy