Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radius Log Request

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Radius Log Request

Quote from: Anotherone
......As it's an extension socket, you should not see a capacitor, resistor or surge arrestor as shown here. Look at the wiring colours and which terminal numbers they are connected to. Hopefully you will see a Blue with white trace connected to 2 & a White with blue trace connected to 5. There may well be an Orange with white trace connected to 3 and it's mate on 4. If so gently pull the wire vertically out of terminal 3 and it's mate on 4 (note do this even if the colours aren't the same) BUT do NOT disturb the wires on 2 & 5. (There may be wires on 1 & 6 apart from saying what colour they are, you can ignore them). Refit the socket.
At the master socket, first remove the lower front plate from the socket being careful not to disturb the wires connected to it. You should find the same colour wires as at the extension socket, but again if there are wires connected to 3 & 4 remove them by pulling them vertically out of the terminal, taking care not to disturb 2 & 5. Gently twist the removed wires together and tuck back out of the way so they can't touch the front plate when it's refitted.

Roll_eyes
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

OK you two - no need to fight. Smiley
I understand clearly what is being said, and although it may not appear so, I am fairly technically literate - my queries are often  just to confirm my thoughts, or to gain a second opinion.
Just for info, I attach below the RSL log from this morning, which shows the effect of an incoming call (09.10-09.42), although it also seems to be showing some constant intereferance (which was much reduced yesterday). An outgoing call around 10.03 also appears to have upset things, but not to the same extent.
John
jab1
Legend

For AO/Townman:
For reasons I'm not going to bore you with, didn't get chance to do anything at the w/e.
Was going to have a go this morning, but with the SNR behaving like this, there's no chance. Wink
For reference, there is nothing unusual running on my premises, and nothing changing to explain the behaviour.
John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Hi John,
Were either of those events associated with the use of the phone?
The first one the SNRM fell to zero, whilst with the second it went negative!!!!  A negative 'margin' does not make sense, but I have seen routers report such figures.

@CRT - what do you suggest please?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Kevin - NO phone activity at all.
Phone calls on Saturday, both in & out, had no discernible effect on SNR.
John
jab1
Legend

RSL graph  - incoming call started at 11.45
Edited to add:
Pure speculation here: SNR suddenly recovered to 6.0/6.1 and my neighbour has gone out. Will keep tracking, but it is difficult to know when they return as I can't see the front window clearly from the lounge.
John
Anotherone
Champion

I have seen SNRM figures like that when one leg of the line had a temporary low insulation to earth fault on it. It might do similar with a Battery fault as well, not certain on that though. There could obviously be other causes.
I don't blame you for deciding not to do anything at the time John, wait until/if it settles down. Did you by any chance check if there was any audible line noise at the time?
I would have suggested that we ask for a CLT but I think it might be wise to wait until it settles somewhat, otherwise god knows what sync speed you may get at the end of the test (it's intrusive and gives just under a 3 minute break in connection).
jab1
Legend

AO - thanks again.
Don't know which situation you mean re the noise, but about 30/35 minutes into the call we had a 5 second or so 'crackle' - not particularly loud, and as my caller was out in the wind it wasn't that noticeable. I only heard it because I'm intentionally listening.
Yup, a CLT would be nice, BUT as you say, not advisable at the moment. Wink
Current RSL graph attached for info.
Also hourly speed test graph. (ignore the ping logging - I think there's something a bit wonky with that)
John
Anotherone
Champion

Well the SNRM is looking a lot cleaner now, there looked to be another spurt of noise, but not quite a severe at around 1426 for just over 10 minutes or so.
When I asked if you checked for audible line noise, I meant at the times the SNRM went to zero specifically, if you spotted it, but I take it from what you've said there wasn't anything noticeable during the first few minutes of the 1145 call.
Just to confirm did either of your US or DS sync figures change?
PS. If your right click on the SNRM graph, you can select it to plot the US SNRM as well, which may be handy.
jab1
Legend

Those drops were the RSL 'quirk'  - US & DS sync have not changed.
Will add the US SNRM.
John
Anotherone
Champion

Out of curiosity, when are you thinking you might have a look at the wiring?
jab1
Legend

The plan is sometime round the middle of the day tomorrow, providing I can find a relatively stable period with regard to the SNRM.
John
Anotherone
Champion

OK, I'll have a look sometime in the afternoon.
jab1
Legend

Just had another of those negative SNRM plots, followed by a gradual return near-normal values. Huh
No discernable noise on the phone.
John
Anotherone
Champion

How very odd, it's the duration and shape of the spike as well. Are you aware of anything electrical switching at that time?
Is this running over a wireless connection by any chance?