Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radius Log Request

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Radius Log Request

Right - a quick wander reveals that the trees have been REMOVED - dunno why I hadn't spotted that!
I did notice a couple of things, though (1) the line from 'our' pole to my property seems considerably 'slacker' than the other seven lines (2 of my neighbours have 2 lines each) and (2) the feeder cable from the pole at the DP to ours passes VERY close to the cottage at the bottom of the lane - didn't see it hitting it, though.
My PN linespeed has now matched the BT figure - but my speed has not increased - still getting around 6.9d/s
John
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Trees "removed" as in cut down completely, turned into firewood or whatever, or just pruned substantially? Have the two poles either side got any numbers on, if so, make a note so if/when you get the next engineer you can direct him to that location to check the cable.
jab1
Legend

Trees - totally trashed, I did hear a shredder making a hell of a racket five or six weeks ago, but I didn't realise where they were.
Both poles are numbered, but it's easy to direct the engineer - there's only one pole on our lane, and the one it is fed from is the bottom one on the cul-de-sac - with a massive underground DP at the foot of it. Wink
Any comment re: the slack cable.
Had a further disco sometime between 1743-1843 and am now getting around 9.6 on download - hope it stays, although I doubt it will. No matter, so long as it doesn't drop much below 6 - for what I do that is sufficient, and I can even cope with a high SNR, no gaming &c.
John
Anotherone
Champion

I suppose the slack cable may sway in the wind a lot more, obviously looking at it will tell you. That might cause a break in line somewhere but I'd be surprised that it wouldn't be causing a lot more audible line noise.
jab1
Legend

Will check the line noise when I've woken up a bit -as you can see, I was up & about at silly-o'clock this morning and feel a bit wooly-headed at the moment. Smiley
It certainly sways, and as we've still got a bit of wind this morning............................
John
jab1
Legend

No noise on the line - checked 3 times since my last post.
Just had a 45 minute call - the D/S hardly flickered, the upstream dropped fro 6dB to 4, went up to 5, then did a very uneven saw-tooth around there till the end of the call, now back up to 6.
John
Anotherone
Champion

It all rather sounds like an iffy joint somewhere that's either exposed to the elements or swaying cable somewhere is managing to pull on said iffy joint. Next time you are out, have a look at any of the DP and other joint boxes and see if anything looks odd or suspicious.
jab1
Legend

Will do -might take binoculars - those poles are a bit high. Smiley
These comments are really only for info - so long as everything stays fairly stable, I don't intend to do anything major until I return from my January trip to the sunny south. Theres a lot to do before the holidays,and for general browsing, the current situation is OK.@
Just for info, I had at least 2 xDSL drops - at 2031 and 2035. Connection speed still 11000+, with DS SNR @ 6.1dB. Methinks I'm going to get up tomorrow morning back down @ 6000 +/- a bit. Wink
John
jab1
Legend

Well - I thought it was all going too well, no significant changes, and steadyish speeds since my last post - the only noticeable occurrences being occaisional PPP drops but not disconnections from the exchange. UNTIL 13.04 when xDSL dropped and came back up @ 8449DS/780US SNR 6.1/5.0 (although RSL is reporting 13.0/6.0).
Just posting for info really - I can live with this, but it is strange I get 2.1/2 days at high speed then a drop - the router was switched off around 10AM on 12/1 and restarted around 5PM 02/02.
John
cedlor
Grafter

Nothing remarkable on the graphs leading up to the drop?
jab1
Legend

Nope - nice steady 5.8/6.1 line - I rarely get a perfectly straight line.
John
cedlor
Grafter

Maybe just BT/OR poking around , but maybe get the binoculars ready for a spying mission. Even so it will be difficult to spot anything that is only an occasional problem.