Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radius Log Request

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Radius Log Request

Give me 5 mins and I'll come back with RADIUS logs and some line test results.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Loop loss : 34db
SNR margin : 3.8 UP | 6.3 DOWN
Sync : 804 UP | 11936 DOWN
Indicative Line Quality : R 
Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds) :  229
DLM Profile : 10566
With the attenuation at 34 you may be able to get a little more out of the downstream, but it really wouldn't be much. I'd normally say around 12Mb/s for that figure which you're very very close to.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Thanks Chris.  See I'm still getting the odd disconnection, but without comparing those to profile updates &c, much better  Smiley
If I can hold on to what I've got (for the next three weeks until I go away, at least), I'll be relatively happy.
John
jab1
Legend

Kevin - had a PPP drop at 0236 this morning which did not complete properly and left me with a stale session. Spoke to another John  Smiley at PN and got that sorted. During the conversation, I got cut off.
When he rang back, we discussed the disco, and John suggested that may indicate a filter problem, so I will be purchasing a couple of new ones. He also suggested trying another router, and is sending one out - unfortunately it's a 2704, but I can always try it and swap back.
John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

John,
From the comments made previously there is the possibility of REIN to be eliminated.  Can you please post the RS plots.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Will do, but it will be Saturday/Sunday before I have time to sort through and select the relevant plots.
John
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi there, because of your post here, I thought I'd take a look to see what was happening. Oh dear, this seems to have been going on a while. I'm assuming from the way you've posted that you didn't suffer these problems previously, so something may have changed?
Did you receive a 2704n for testing? It's not as good for reporting as the 582n, and certainly not as customisable.
I assumed from one of your posts that you may have done some customisation of your 582n, did you save a back-up config for it?
If you still have the 582n on-line it might be worth saving the config if you hadn't previously.
As I can't see any mention on the thread, I thought it might be an idea to check some basics, so sorry if you've been through this and done the obvious (even though you've had an engineeer visit a while back).
Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls? Try the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2 if need be.
I assume you have a Master Socket similar to the one on the left? Do all your Microfilters look similar to this?
Do you have any extension phone sockets, and what is normally plugged in where? Are you using an plug-in extension phone leads bewteen a socket and filter or filter an modem/router?
Have you changed any part of your installation since before this issue arose? Have you had any new electrical or electronic equipment?
jab1
Legend

Morning AO
To answer your questions in order;
I actually received another 582n - even though PN don't have any more.  Smiley
I have done no customisation - not that confident.
I do get the odd weird noise on calls - usually at the beginning, and then it seems to clear.
The Quiet Line Test is silent.
My master socket is an NTE5A, filters are as supplied by Plusnet.
I have a BT hard-wired extension in the bedroom, into which is plugged the modem.
Because of the phone/electrical wiring in this house, the phone base station is plugged into the master socket via an extension cable. It is physically impossible to plug direct into the master socket - phone socket/electrical point locations are incompatible.
From the above point - a question. Can I plug the phone base station into the upstairs socket? If that is possible, I could dispense with the lead from the master socket to the base station.
There have been no changes to the installation, and no new electrical/electronic equipment.
When I get your response to this post, I will re-evaluate the situation - I do not really want to make changes piece-meal,.
John
Anotherone
Champion

Umm. OK. For clarification, I take it that the NTE5a doesn't have one of the more recent Filtered plates fitted similar to this one - it's not a problem either way, it's just so we proceed in the right way. (They can be fitted on ADSL installations these days, but aren't a necessity by any means).
Is the filter for the phone base station plugged directly into the master socket, or is it at the end of the extension lead?
With the hard wired extension socket, do you know roughly when it was installed? Is the filter for the modem/router plugged directly into that socket?
I assume the socket looks like this, and the same size as a single electrical switch or socket.
As far as the noise at the start of some calls, is it something like a crackly, hissy or maybe squeaky type noise? This may be indicative of a bad connection somewhere, you need to keep an ear on it Wink
As far as moving the base station, a possibility, but I don't want you to rush into making any changes as this may alter the situation (and might possibly introduce a different set of problems) so depending on the clarification and answers to the questions, I'll suggest the next step as there will be a couple more checks to make.
jab1
Legend

HI AO
No - Just a single socket.
Phone filter is plugged direct into the master socket.
Extension socket was installed at the same time as the house was wired for phones (mid/late 70s at a wild guess). We needed it on age-related safety grounds for my grandfather, and I'm guessing it is wired from the back of the master socket. Incidentally, the NTE5 was installed 12/18 months ago when I had an unresolved stability problem - engineer said 'that way, I can report a fault with the socket & you can avoid call-out charge  Smiley )
Thats the socket.
The noise at the start is 'crackly' , usually upsets the SNR until it clears, but not enough to cause a disconnection.
If/when I move the base station, I will probably change the filter(s) and substitute the 2nd 582n. Don't want to disturb a currently stable setup.
Thanks for your interest.  I may not answer that quickly due to life being a bit hectic.
John
Anotherone
Champion

Ha, tell me about hectic Wink
OK, that crackly noise, especially if you've noticed it upsetting the SNRM is likely a bad joint somewhere which could be the cause of some or all of the disconnects. As it's obviously intermittent, these things can be a swine to find, so we'll leave that to one side for now. Just keep a note of how often you hear it happening - eg. with every call or whatever!
The way you have things plugged in is fine. All we have to do is establish the standard of wiring, and in particular if a bell-wire is connected. Bell wires are not needed in Broadband situations, filters generate a local one for any phones that need them.
So when it is convenient to you, noting your comment about not disturbing a stable connection, if you use the following methodology and do it in daylight hours, it shouldn't give you any problems and allow to to reconnect with a similar speed.
A graceful disconnect is always the way to go (even when you want just a resync) as it minimises the chance of upsetting the DLM.
So you log into the TG582n, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait about a minute and then power down the Modem/Router. After about another minute you can unplug it from the line (if required). Whatever action you are doing, stay offline for at least 10 minutes. At the point that you re-connect and power up, you may need to Login to the Modem/Router and click Connect to establish a new PPP session. (Don't do this method more than 5 times in an hour, then leave it for the rest of the day).
Whilst you are disconnected and off-line, remove the extension socket from it's box to look at the back of the socket. As it's an extension socket, you should not see a capacitor, resistor or surge arrestor as shown here. Look at the wiring colours and which terminal numbers they are connected to. Hopefully you will see a Blue with white trace connected to 2 & a White with blue trace connected to 5. There may well be an Orange with white trace connected to 3 and it's mate on 4. If so gently pull the wire vertically out of terminal 3 and it's mate on 4 (note do this even if the colours aren't the same) BUT do NOT disturb the wires on 2 & 5. (There may be wires on 1 & 6 apart from saying what colour they are, you can ignore them). Refit the socket.
At the master socket, first remove the lower front plate from the socket being careful not to disturb the wires connected to it. You should find the same colour wires as at the extension socket, but again if there are wires connected to 3 & 4 remove them by pulling them vertically out of the terminal, taking care not to disturb 2 & 5. Gently twist the removed wires together and tuck back out of the way so they can't touch the front plate when it's refitted.
Should you be unlucky to pull a wire out of 2 or 5 at either socket, do not try to push it back in with a screwdriver or similar directly in the jaws of the terminal. Push it down either side of the terminal jaws, a pair of tweezers may be more convenient, but you can push a bit at a time each side with a suitable instrument (unless of course you have an IDC tool!). The terminal itself is an Insulation Displacement Connector and the jaws cut through the insulation and grip on the wire. If the jaws are widened you get a bad connection.
Finally, check the BT incoming cable is a recent standard by removing the backplate from the box. Hopefully you'll find an Orange wire and a White wire connected to the 2 terminals A & B. The cable should have a heavy black sheath.
It's possible you'll find wires of a similar colour to the internal wiring instead if there is some external connector box somewhere.
Refit everything. Before connecting the modem/router and powering it up, plug the filters in and out of the sockets a few times and connecting leads in and out of the filters a few times, also the one on the back of the modem/router. This will hopefully remove any oxidation on the contacts that might give a bad connection internally..
Once done, plug the phone in first and check there is no noise on the line. If you hear any, dial 17070 select ring back option 1,and let it ring until it stops. Check again the line is noise free, if so connect and the power up the modem/router. Login and check the full DSL stats (copy and paste them in a post). Link in my sig will take you direct to the stats page (via login) if you want to use it.
I'll expect your reply when it arrives and the outcome of any checks as and when. Wink
jab1
Legend

Cheers AO - Provided things go as expected (fingers crossed) I should be able to get this done Saturday afternoon.
As a point of interest, is there any mileage in changing the router at this point?
John
Anotherone
Champion

It'd be better if you left swapping the router until after we see what the wiring is/was doing. If the bell wire is connected, removing it can make a big difference (it's connected via the ring capacitor to one side of the line and in a broadband situation acts as a big aerial for interference).
jab1
Legend

OK - I'll leave it.  Smiley
John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

John,
Note the bell wire (if present) should be disconnected at both ends.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.