Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Plusnet but no internet HELP!

davdawnbro
Dabbler

New to Plusnet but no internet HELP!

Thursday 26th June
Orange is disconnected so phoned Plusnet who advised me that my BB switch over is now complete so I can go ahead and start browsing.
Set up my DLink DSL2640B Wireless Router and connected no probs so went ahead and setup wirelessly on the PS3, about 10 minutes later DISCONNECT. Tried reboot, reinstall, different cables, filters etc so phoned Plusnet to report the fault, they ran some tests which came back OK.
Friday 27th June
Router is still showing no DSL light after leaving it on all night (as Plusnet advised).
9am tried an alternative router which connected fine so plugged wireless router back in and got connected on that also.
Was out for the day so tried it again late afternoon but once again no DSL light on the router, tried rebooting (turning in on then off again) and it worked for about 10 minutes before disconnecting again, tried alternate router and same problem.
Rang Plusnet who escalated the fault , they rang me back later and went through the router settings etc and found no problems so advised me to leave it a couple of days to settle and then ring back.
Saturday 28th June
Tried turning the router on whenever I was passing and DSL light was never once illuminated.
Sunday 29th June
Rang Plusnet and advised them of no change so they said they'd run more tests and be in touch. Advised them that I’ve tried two different routers, three different filters, different cables and also connecting from my PS3 rather than the computer and still nothing – I have now tried everything I can to fix it.
Later tried my alternative router again and got on-line for 5-10 mins then lost connection and nothing.
Any advice? It's starting to pee me off now, its like I've got occasional broadband that comes and goes.
The only thing I can think of is that when they switched me over from Orange LLU (Orange install there own wiring at the exchange) back to BT they've somehow messed something up.
Whats my next step?  Thanks for any help you can offer. Cry
10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: New to Plusnet but no internet HELP!

Hi there,
I've just had a look at your ticket and it looks like you've literally just spoken to our guys to let them know that your router's back up and running so that we'll be able to run some testing.  Once we've done that, I suspect it's likely that this will get fired across to BT.
I'd make a logical assumption that the jumpering work at the exchange hasn't been done properly by BT Openreach, which is causing your connection to become intermittent.
itsme
Grafter

Believe the way the jumpering is done in the exchange it is posibble to have broadband without PSTN but not PSTN without broadband. So when no broadband is available is the phone still working? If so I would not have thought it's a intermittent fault caused by poor jumpering but more likely faulty equipment.
James
Grafter

I think you're referring to a fully unbundled service rather than a partially unbundled one.
itsme
Grafter

The way jumpering done for a partial unbundled line is the same as a normal BT adsl provide. The pstn is jumpered to the LLU or BT equipment then from the LLU or BT equipment to the line. So if the first part of the jumpering is faulty broadband will be available but no PSTN, if the second part of the jumpering is down neither will be available.
For a fully unbundled system the adsl and PSTN are coming from the same equipment, but jumpered through TAMS, to the line. If any part of the jumpering is faulty than both adsl and pstn will be down.
James
Grafter

Sure, I'm probably misunderstanding this, but as the result of the initial migration from when we moved a number of circuits to Tiscali a couple years back, broadband didn't work and telephone did, which was fixed by some work at the exchange.
Am I missing something here?
itsme
Grafter

Seen cases when neither work on LLU because the cards were no fitted to the equipment of the wiring from the MDF to the LLU equipment was wrong. If this is the case the end user is normally left on the BT system until it's fixed by the LLU provider.
Can't comment on your specific Tiscali problem other to say that now BT run more tests after jumpering to LLU before closing jobs down.
davdawnbro
Dabbler

Quote from: itsme
Believe the way the jumpering is done in the exchange it is posibble to have broadband without PSTN but not PSTN without broadband. So when no broadband is available is the phone still working? If so I would not have thought it's a intermittent fault caused by poor jumpering but more likely faulty equipment.

It can't be equipment failure as I've used two diferent routers, different cables, different filters and the connection drops out if I'm accessing the router via PC and PS3 so its neither of those,- plus all was fine until migration day.  Unless you're talking about equipment at the exchange?
itsme
Grafter

Faulty exchange equipment, sorry you misunderstood.
davdawnbro
Dabbler

I thought that as an afterthought and amended my above post!   Embarrassed
cp:quote
davdawnbro
Dabbler

As of lastnight I'm back online it seems, tried a third router and it connected straight away which just doesn’t make any sense (a BT 2110 voyager).
Unless BT messing about doing tests etc changed something??? either that or my Broadband just doesn’t like DLink routers.
Whatever, it’s working now and I'm leaving it as it is! Cheesy