cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved House speed lower than expected

chambo

Moved House speed lower than expected

I have recently moved house and my broadband account has been moved over all OK, BUT my download speed (1.3mbps) is way below what I was advised to expect (6.5mbps). I am aware that the speed will alter while the relevant tests are carried out to check best speed/reliability. I have used the BT speed checker and this confirms the figures here.
The speed has not improved for a week the connection doesn't seem to be dropping out, I have changed filters disconnected all extensions (except master socket) all to no avail. Attached are the screen shots from my router, from my limited knowledge of routers, line noise etc etc the connection seems OK. The only thing which doesn't seem right is my ip profile with Plusnet (see below)
Telephone number:
01270******
Phone exchange:
HASLINGTON
Estimated line speed:
2.0 - Checked on 2010-11-04 21:00:44
Current line speed:
This is information for my old house and has not been updated for my new house, different number, exchange and obviously a better line speed. I have spoken to Plusnet about this and they told me this doesn't matter the information has just not been updated, I can't believe it's just coincidence that my current speed matches my old connection speed.
I would like to know if there is anything else I should do before I raise a fault or is just a case of waiting a few more days to see if it improves.
Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Moved House speed lower than expected

Run the BT speedtest and post your router stats please
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 397

You're right the PlusNet profile is set to 1500 and that will ultimately limit your throughput. There is nothing wrong with your router stats, you're synching at the maximum for ADSL1. It could be that your BT Profile hasn't adjusted yet and then the PlusNet one will take upto 24 hours to follow that.
As Jim says , you need to check your IP Profile on a BT Speedtest, that should be 7150 for your synch speed, if it is and the PlusNet one doesn't follow in 24 hours then give support a call and tell them your PlusNet profile doesnt match the BT one and has been like that for > 24 hours. If the BT one hasnt caught up with the synch speed then you will probably need to wait a few days for it to sort itself out I'm afraid.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chambo

Thanks for the info BT speed test results below:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1252 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps
These results have been the same for the  last few days, so it looks like I need to wait a few more days to see it sorts it self out.
Oldjim router stats are on an attachment on my first post.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

No you don't. have to wait and you shouldn't
Either raise a ticket or wait until a rep comes in tomorrow.
As you surmise they have carried forward your IP profile and it won't get changed unles they get a Delta report and with that sync they may not get one.
chambo

Thanks for the help I will raise a ticket.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

put the number back here for PN Rep to see tomorrow, the ticket can take several days to get action, the on line rep not long
chambo

Ticket raised No. 37115645 Hopefully they will get it sorted pretty quick now.
Thanks for all the prompt advice
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Chambo,
I can see that this has now been picked up by a member of our support team and the profiles on our side now match those on BTs. Hope that helps, please let us know if there's anything else we can look at for you.