cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrating Problem with WiFi

amcintosh

Frustrating Problem with WiFi

I was activated as a PlusNet customer on Tuesday and since then have been battling with intermittent WiFi problems. Firstly the Wireless Key specified on the sticker with my Thomson router was not correct but it was easy to find the correct one.
Then my Macbook Pro would only connect if I rebooted it.  If I only put it to sleep, it wouldn't connect to WiFi when I opened it, giving an "Invalid Password" message. I tried Google and tried lots of different things but it was no help. However then I discovered that if I just kept clicking Join after 6-7 attempts it would connect.
I called Plusnet to be told they don't support Macs and that since it was only my MBP that it was probably that at fault.
Then my Dell laptop running Vista refused to connect even though I knew we had the correct key. Someone at work suggested changing the channel for the wireless. When I did this, the Dell laptop immediately connected and has been fine since.
Now my iPhone is struggling to connect to the wireless prompting me for the key all the time.
I previously used a Netgear router on O2 and never had wireless connectivity issues. I tried to use it again for Plusnet but couldn't get it connected and gave up. I suspect the router has an issue.
10 REPLIES 10
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Re: Frustrating Problem with WiFi

Was the PlusNet supplied Thomson 585V7 (or V8) Router in a sealed package or had it been pre-configured for you?
If the latter, try resetting it to Factory Defaults by pressing and holding the reset button while switching the Router on and continue holding the reset button in for about 20 seconds. Then using an Ethernet connected PC, set it up again with your Username and Password.
The SSID and Wireless Key should now match that on the labels. If your problem persists, try changing the Wireles Channel until you finf one that works reliably. It is possible that there are several other WiFi routers within range of you and they are likely to still be on the default channel (6 IIRC).
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi amcintosh,
If the wireless works ok with the Vista laptop then it can't be anything to do with the router's wireless. As for not supporting Macs, when was you told this, because I'd like to make sure the adviser in question understands what we do and don't support.
Jojo Smiley
feroluce
Grafter

I've been struggling with this very same problem for a couple of weeks.
After much digging, I think I found the problem and the solution.
The 'plusnetwireless etc.' SSID is too long for registration on the mac.
The explanation I was given is that this slows down the connection enough for the mac to assume it failed.
That's why the wireless icon flickers when you try to connect.
It nearly registers, then gives up.
I changed my SSID and have had no problems since.
Macs have issues with AES encryption too, but there's no way to choose Thomson.
Iphones and Andriod phones have issues with AES too...
It might also be an idea to download iStumbler.
It will show you all wifi in your area so you can switch to an unused channel, avoiding possible interference.
amcintosh

Quote from: Joanne
Hi amcintosh,
If the wireless works ok with the Vista laptop then it can't be anything to do with the router's wireless. As for not supporting Macs, when was you told this, because I'd like to make sure the adviser in question understands what we do and don't support.
Jojo Smiley

It fails occasionally with the Vista laptop as well, normally a restart of the router or change of channel allows it to connect. I get problems with iPhone and iPod Touch, but my Macbook Pro takes between 2 & 20 attempts to connect but eventually it will.
I called the support desk either last Tuesday or Wednesday evening, I think it was Wednesday. Because at that point it was only my Macbook Pro, the advisor told me that was at fault and he knew nothing about them.
I tried to call yesterday but gave up after being told the queue was 25 mins.
amcintosh

Quote from: feroluce
I've been struggling with this very same problem for a couple of weeks.
After much digging, I think I found the problem and the solution.
The explanation I was given is that this slows down the connection enough for the mac to assume it failed.
That's why the wireless icon flickers when you try to connect.
It nearly registers, then gives up.
I changed my SSID and have had no problems since.

Thanks I have tried this and initial connections have all been successful, only time will tell.
Aubs
Grafter

Quote from: Wheel_nut
<snip>
... try resetting it to Factory Defaults by pressing and holding the reset button while switching the Router on and continue holding the reset button in for about 20 seconds ...
</snip>

To reset the router back to factory defaults, ensure it is switched on, then using a paperclip or other similar object, press and hold the reset button for at least 7 seconds (15 is suggested to make sure). When the power light goes red, release the button and wait until the power light turns green again.
Quote from: feroluce
<snip>
</snip>

Thanks for this info, if I'll try this next time.
Aubs
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Welcome to the Forum
You are one of the few newcomers who got your first quotes correct for this forum, congatulations
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi amcintosh,
Thank you for your time this morning. Please let me know if the fix works for you.
Jojo Smiley
amcintosh

Quote from: Joanne
Hi amcintosh,
Thank you for your time this morning. Please let me know if the fix works for you.
Jojo Smiley

Hi Jojo,
Just tried my Macbook this evening and connected first time so looks good so far, I will get back to you if I have any issues. Thanks for your assistance.
Cheers,
Al
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Al,
No worries, glad it worked.
Jojo Smiley