Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Banding

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Line Banding

Is my line currently Banded?

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Broadband-Faults-Guide-Banding-Guide/ba-p/1322790

Reading here states that banding is applied to lines that drop connection too often in a given period. But, AFAICS, my line doesn't suffer frequent drops. Yet it is now operating at a maximum of 14335 kbps, 7.7 dB download rather than the default 6 dB. Rebooting doesn't change this. From the table, this seems to correspond to banding WBC 7M - 14M (7168kbps to 14336kbps).

"Banding is applied when your connection drops on a regular basis. The banding slows your connection by restricting your connection rate. For example, if your connection drops 10 times within 24 hours, you may notice that your connection is banded to WBC 4M-9M this means your connection will only be allowed to synchronise at a maximum of 9728Kbps."

I am wondering now whether this banding is 'institutional' rather than anything to do with any Broadband faults on my line (of which there is no sign). That is, as Openworld say the operational range of my ADSL line is a maximum of 12 Mbps (was much higher in the past!) it is nowadays banded to make it so, for operational reasons rather than because of Broadband faults on my line.

Any thoughts?

32 REPLIES 32
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Re: Line Banding

Thanks for your post @pvmb

I'm sorry to see you're having speed issues.

I've tested your line today and it is indeed banded at ~14mbps, the full profile being: "WBC 7M - 14M No delay (INP 0) 6dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)"

As you say, your connection's stable and our tests aren't showing any issues, so I've removed the banding now.

Could you check your speed again?

I wouldn't say though that either Plusnet or our suppliers are intentionally placing a banding on your line as that's done automatically by the dynamic line management (DLM) software at the exchange.

It's possible that there was or is an underlying issue somewhere, which our tests aren't picking up and aren't having a noticeable impact on your connection, so I'd keep an eye on things and let us know how it goes. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Anoush,

Line banding successfully removed yesterday, accompanied by increase in speed to 15 kbps, 3.0 dB. Line working OK.

Guess what? 🙂

5.30am this morning speed reverted:

13835 kbps, 9.0 dB
1183 kbps, 6.8 dB

This appears identical to what happened last time after banding was removed (including time of reversion).

For whatever reason the DLM is simply not allowing my line to operate unbanded at the standard 6 dB download rate.

Apart from repeated disconnections (as per that Plusnet diagnostic link *) what else causes banding to be put on a line? 

* "Banding is applied when your connection drops on a regular basis."

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @pvmb

That'll likely be done due to an underlying issue, potentially noise on the line somewhere, because the SNR is the signal to noise ratio, which means that if the greater the figure, it'll be combatting some form of noise or interference.

Do you have a home phone handset you can plug into the test socket and carry out a quiet line test by dialling 17070?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

No noise on line in audible spectrum, at least not in my audible spectrum. Noise more likely in the RF range, IMO.
Such as that strong signal around 1.6 MHz. There during the day but gone at night, so can't be from LED streetlights.

Seems to have been another drop around 5.30 am this morning, leading to a slight speed increase back to highest allowed by WBC 7M - 14M banding level:

Down:1435 kbps, 7.7 dB
Up:1199 kbps, 6.6 db
ES/hour (Down/Up): 60.5/0
Interleave (Down/Up): 1/0

I do hope I don't have to get up at 5am in order to find out what is going on.

Here are some historical statistics, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly:

22 May 2017 09:07

Up: 1245 kbps, 6.1 dB
Down: 18529 kbps, 2.3 dB

Interleave (Down/Up): 96/0
ES/hour (Down/Up): 27.4/0
-------------------------

14 Mar 2019 09:36

Up: 1255 kbps, 5.9 dB
Down: 15613 kbps, 5.9 dB

ES/hour (Down/Up): 43.3/0
--------------------------

19 Jan 2022

Up: 1183 kbps, 6.7 dB
Down: 13835 kbps, 9.0 dB

ES/hour (Down/Up): 23.0/0
--------------------------

I notice, when I had a good download speed in the past, I also had an Interleave (Down/Up): 96/0
Whereas, more recently I always seem to have an Interleave (Down/Up): 1/0

I wonder if Interleave could improve matters?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @pvmb, thanks for getting back to us. I'm sorry for the issues with your line. 

I have added interleaving back on for you, to see if this makes any improvements at all. Can you let us know how it goes?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Lauren,

Unfortunately Interleaving seems to have had confusing effects. There appear to be less reported errors on Download, but the Download is still banded exactly as before - with the added bonus that the Upload now seems banded as well! Currently:

Up: 888 kbps, 16 dB
Down: 14335 kbps, 7.5 dB

ES/hour (Down/Up) 3.00/0

Why the Upload, previously operating at normal speeds with SNRM of 6 dB, should now be downgraded following Interleaving being switched on, I have not the slightest notion.

Apart from the obvious reduction in Download errors, the Download speed remains at the very top end of the highest Banding, yet still the circuit seems unable to operate unbanded.

Saw this thread from 2016: https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Line-banding-frustration/td-p/1328296

In particular this (unanswered) post:

aesmith
‎20-04-2016 3:39 PM

>> "Indicative Line Quality: R"

Out of interest, which parameter(s) put it into Red? Third party information suggests that it would need MTBE of 5 or less, and/or MTBR of 8640 or less.

If correct, "MTBE of 5" Seconds would equate to an average of 12 Errors/Min or 720 Errors/Hour or more. This appears much higher than I was getting. The highest I can see looking back was something over 100 Errors/Hour. Although I do not normally run DSLstats all day.

I should add that that strong apparent 1.6 Mhz signal is currently not in evidence on the bitmap.

None the wiser...

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to us @pvmb

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having issues with your connection. The next stage in diagnosing the cause of these issues would be to raise the matter with Openreach, and have an engineer look into what's going on.

I've just created a ticket on the account, which we'd like you to respond to, confirming your availability. You can respond to it either via your online Member Centre, or via SMS.

One of the knock on effects of having interleaving turned on is what you're seeing with the upload speed, which appears to be banded. Engineers can turn this on and off should they feel it'll provide an overall better connection. Give us a nudge once you've responded to the open ticket and we'll get the fault raised. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

For issues such as this there is good merit in setting up 24x7 router monitoring.  Router Stats - the version for the BTHH5a works well with the PN Hub One.  See the link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

@adam945 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having issues with your connection. The next stage in diagnosing the cause of these issues would be to raise the matter with Openreach, and have an engineer look into what's going on.

I've just created a ticket on the account, which we'd like you to respond to, confirming your availability. You can respond to it either via your online Member Centre, or via SMS.

One of the knock on effects of having interleaving turned on is what you're seeing with the upload speed, which appears to be banded. 

Funny. It wasn't one of the knock on effects in 2017:

22 May 2017 09:07

Up: 1245 kbps, 6.1 dB
Down: 18529 kbps, 2.3 dB

ES/hour (Down/Up): 27.4/0
-------------------------

I'll look into the ticket etc. I hope, if the engineer finds nothing, there will not be any call out charge?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Interleaving doesn’t band the upload speed per se, but it can though not always restrict it to an unusually round figure of 888kbps or thereabouts and has been the case since I’ve started working here in 2014. 

We haven’t charged an engineer fee for a fault investigation in about 9 months, so I wouldn’t worry about that as it’s not something we do anymore. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

@adam945 wrote:

One of the knock on effects of having interleaving turned on is what you're seeing with the upload speed, which appears to be banded. Engineers can turn this on and off should they feel it'll provide an overall better connection. Give us a nudge once you've responded to the open ticket and we'll get the fault raised. Smiley

Sorry I didn't get back to you via the ticket at the time, it was automatically closed after 14 days. However I am available now if this can be reopened for an engineer visit or whatever.

TIA

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @pvmb

No problem, I've created a new ticket for you now Here.

If you can post back once you've responded, I'll make sure we book the engineer as soon as we can.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

OK, I have completed ticket. Thanks.

Apart from Thursdays I should be alright for most days, hope they can let me know when they are coming or at least which day.

pvmb

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @pvmb, thanks for replying to the ticket Smiley

It looks like a member of our faults team have beat me to it and already picked this up, booking in your engineer. They've updated the ticket with the details for you.

Let us know how this goes!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team