Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Forwarding

adamrickets
Dabbler

Domain Forwarding

Hello I wonder if you can help.
I use a mac running OS 10.5.2 and have recently signed up for their .Mac service and wish to use iWeb to create my website.

I have the domain name MyDomain.uk hosted with plusnet.
I have followed Apple's instructions and added a CNAME to my domain pointing www.Example.co.uk. at Apple's servers.
Everything has worked fine !!! and entering www.Example.co.uk takes me to my site.

So far so good.

What I would like to achieve now is to be able to enter just MyDomain.co.uk in my browser(without the www) and be taken to my site.

I have been following some hints from Apple's forums -see below- and it is item 4) that I am having trouble with.
It suggests that I set up domain forwarding for MyDomain.co.uk to point at www.Example.co.uk in order to view my site by only entering Example.co.uk.

My question therefore is...

Is this the best way to do this and if so how do I set up domain forwarding as i cannot find this option on plusnet's site.

Below is a copy of the hints i have been following
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Adam
P.S.   As well as Domain Forwarding can plusnet also do Masking ?

Here is how to set it up so that your mail traffic is not impacted while sending the web traffic to your .mac personal domain.
1) Configure your personal domain within the .mac admin panel, per the Mac instructions.
2) You need to go to your admin panel of your domain hosting site. I am using 1&1 (1and1.com) for my hosting. Even with the .mac hosting for the website and personal domain, you still need some hosting package for your email if you want to manage multiple email inboxes for your domain. The key to making this work is with the creation and management of subdomains for your site through your admin panel. There is an existing root domain in the registration panel for your site:
Domain Overview
Name
example.com
From here there is an option to set the CNAME record, but that would break all of your email traffic as the entire web and email traffic for your root site would be directed to web.mac.com. Not what you want to do.
3) Instead you create a new subdomain of 'www' or 'www.example.com' through the domain management tool. This only pertains to traffic looking for www.example.com and would not impact any mail servers looking for your root domain mail record (MX). Set the CNAME record for just the 'www' subdomain to point to web.mac.com
4) There still is the chance that someone who doesn't type your whole web address (eg just example.com) or a really old web router that still interprets www to be the root of the domain would not be able to reach your site. No problem, as you then set up domain forwarding on the root domain of example.com to point at your subdomain of www.example.com. This only impacts web traffic, not email traffic.
Now your web site can be hosted by .mac with only your personal domain exposed while your email can still be managed without any impact across however many accounts you have through another system.
And because you are creating a new subdomain instead of modifying the CNAME of your root domain, it really only takes hours to propagate across the DNS registries instead of up to 48 hours as new publishing is faster than existing record refreshes.
CNAME records are just a mapping alias for the destination site, so this method is much preferred to hard coding any possible IP addresses for web.mac.com. It is possible that those underlying IPs could change over time based on how Mac handles their load balancing and server fleet.
3 REPLIES 3
adamrickets
Dabbler

Re: Domain Forwarding

23 views and no replies !!!
This is the first time that support has answered my question before somebody here has.
In case anyone is interested plusnet support have solved the problem by adding another CNAME pointing Example.co.uk. (note trailing dot) at www.Example.co.uk. ( trailing dot)
I almost tried this but was not sure - probably would have left at least one of the trailing dots off anyway.
So I presume adding this CNAME does the same/is the same as Domain forwarding.
Anyway all sorted now.
Thanks for your views !
Adam
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Another alternative would be to add an A record pointing the route of the domain to the specific IP address for web.mac.com (but that's what you're being advised not to do in the information you quoted).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

I had the same problem though I've had my domain name with NamesCo (formerly Simply.com) since before I joined PlusNet.
So long as you don't change any mail exchange records then changing the A name to 17.250.248.34, as per attachment below, should do the trick.
You can now reach my domain by typing in madmoggies.org.uk with or without the www. I needed it to work without the www. as Google had it listed that way and I have a high rating in the search for 'moggies'.

Hope this helps.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both