Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum "Who's Online" is broken

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Forum "Who's Online" is broken

It is not just a maths issue - the count and the number of displayed avatars do not match - but also on-line users are not shown.

In the image below my avatar is not shown.

17:05 on 26th Oct 202317:05 on 26th Oct 2023

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

@Townman Neither is my avatar shown - now - although it was there first thing this morning when I opened the tab. I should be shown as permanently there as I never actually log out anyway.

John
NickBS
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 3

Hey @jab1 @Townman 

Ticket to Khoros is raised for this now. 

Can you confirm if you see this misalignment all the time or just intermittently? Reason why i ask, is because it looks fine for me both logged in and logged out. Who's online number matches the number of avatars shown.

Thanks,

Nick

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@NickBS 

It is variable!  The below has just been grabbed - avatars and count matches, but I am not shown!

Screenshot 2023-10-27 153339.png

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

NickBS
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 3

Thanks @Townman - i'll make that clear on the ticket.

Have you noticed any trends on when it falls out of sync? on a particular page maybe?

jab1
Legend

@NickBS There is no pattern, and I should be shown permanently online - I never sign out on my home laptop.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Neither do I.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 408

The below has just been grabbed - avatars and count matches, but I am not shown!

For info, neither am I! Like you and John , I'm permanently logged in..

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@jab1 wrote:

There is no pattern, and I should be shown permanently online - I never sign out on my home laptop.

In following this thread, there's something I'm not clear about.

I never log out form the forum, but my PC is set to 'sleep' after an hour of non activity.

Would I therefore not appear in 'Who's Online' during those sleep periods?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jab1
Legend

I doubt it, @198kHz . I switch off the lappy when I go to bed, and back on in the morning - there is no 'sleep' time set on this machine. I'm visible for a random period of time when I switch on/power up/open the forum tab, but then 'disappear' , as @Townman  / @MisterW 

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@MisterW wrote:

The below has just been grabbed - avatars and count matches, but I am not shown!

For info, neither am I! Like you and John , I'm permanently logged in..

That somewhat sounds like "bi-polar" behaviour all too frequently seen where different elements of a a system use different sources for the same information.  Such was seen in the Plusnet Billing sub-modules.  A stale portal session might still function correctly (as the user is still logged in) for portal functions, but other elements deemed the user to be not logged in.

I suspect something similar is happening here.  Clearly one is logged in, because one can post, however the avatar display (which seems to be at a level above the forum) thinks one is not logged in.

I just looked again - the count is 7 people on line (I do not believe that!) and the detail count is 8.

jab1
Legend

Could well be something along those lines, @Townman , but why has it suddenly become so glaringly obvious, and why do members who rarely post seem to stay in the avatar section(looking at 'agedgopher' for instance), whilst those who are regular posters during the day seem to 'fall off the cliff'?

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 79

I actual wonder how important it is to see who is or isn't on line, I set my profile to be invisible and I care more that doesn't work so no one should know I'm hear at all.

Anyway, no more comments on this thread from me, I might get told off for having an opinion, I've been here since June 2007.

Dan 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hey Dan,

Your opinion is valued … especially the feedback that you seek to be in stealth mode … and you are one of the (just) 7 users I saw reported as being on line.

I do not think that there is much merit of knowing who is on line (or quietly logged in) beyond in some circumstances hoping to tag a specific individual who might be able to offer urgent assistance.

Whatever it is, it should work properly!!

jab1
Legend

@Townman wrote:

I do not think that there is much merit of knowing who is on line (or quietly logged in) beyond in some circumstances hoping to tag a specific individual who might be able to offer urgent assistance.

Whatever it is, it should work properly!!

I agree, @Townman . That was the only reason I used to check the 'whose online' - but seeing how dysfunctional it has become, I am now curious to know why.

John