Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum "Who's Online" is broken

SeanD
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Forum "Who's Online" is broken

Good morning Folks,

Thanks for your continued patience while Khoros investigates the root cause of this issue.

They have provided an update and have suggested that the issue is being caused by the code in the Who's online custom component.  Without getting into too much technical detail, the code used for pulling the number of members online and the code used for pulling the avatars of the members online are using 2 different APIs, this is what Khoros believes is causing the discrepancy.

The Who's online component was modified many years ago by PlusNet and as such it is we who will need to update the code on the component, this isn't something that Khoros can do as we own the modification.  Unfortunately, due to resources on our end, this will not be a quick fix, however, we will update you when we know more.

Cheers

Sean

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

@SeanD Then why did it happen after running successfully(ish) for about 5 years?

John
SeanD
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi @jab1,

That's a great question, Khoros tried to explain that it is how the code is working which means this custom component can work fine on some days not on others.  I'll be honest the explanation was about my technical understanding given I am not a programmer but they are confident that if we change this code it will make the component accurate and more consistent.  I guess we won't know until we actually make those changes.

I am sorry I can't offer any more detail.

Cheers

Sean  

jab1
Legend

TBH, I don't believe them, I think changes they have made to the core code have 'broken' the customisation, but they will never admit that.

John
jab1
Legend

Sorry to add to this topic, but another 'improvement' - sorry - regression, I have noticed very recently is that the 'thanks' table now only updates overnight, rather than on a rolling theme. Please don't tell me 'it has always done this', as I know it hasn't.

Call me cynical, but I am becoming inclined to believe that there is a creeping tendency, driven by 'BT Consumer/Retail management to nullify this forum, or to at least bring it more inline with the BT Broadband forum - i.e. destroy its usefulness.

John
jab1
Legend

Can't remember @SeanD 's replacement, but the software still can't count. This issue is still not resolved, despite the OP marking it as such.

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 08-21-01 Plusnet Community.png

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

As the OP (Nibiru) appears to have left the forum perhaps it would be appropriate for the mods to remove the 'fix'?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

Can't remember @SeanD 's replacement

@NickBS 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Thanks, @MisterW 👍

John
jab1
Legend

@RobPN wrote:

As the OP (Nibiru) appears to have left the forum perhaps it would be appropriate for the mods to remove the 'fix'?

I would appreciate that - there were two issues running on here, neither of which are fully resolved.

John
NickBS
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Thanks for flagging this guys. 

i'll feed this back into Khorus and raise a fresh ticket, as i don't have access to anything that was raised by Sean. 

Just to confirm also, that there are no plans to change the way the Plusnet forums operate. I'll continue to work with the Plusnet product owners and change leads and support everything as best i can, alongside my other responsibilities.

jab1
Legend

@NickBS Any updates from Khorus - their maths is still very suspect, see screenshot below:

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 08-10-08 Plusnet Community.png

John
Mav
Fixes: 516

I'm currently seeing the error below which goes into over 1000 linesCrazy

Screenshot 2023-10-26 143539.jpg

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mav
Fixes: 516

I've removed the fix.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jab1
Legend

Thank, @Mav 👍

John