Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idiot's guide to bridge mode

FIXED
Junkman
Rising Star

Re: Idiot's guide to bridge mode

I'm back in but it's being a pain.  When I sort those boxes there is then another Next button and when I clicked this I got an error message but it saved the connection and now gives me an error message when I try to remove it and start again.

Thank you so much for your patience with this.....

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 408

Not sure how changing the WAN connection information should cause that.

or via the Hub 2.

You willnot be able to connect to the billion gui from a device connected directly to the Hub 2.

So from a device connected via ethernet you can't access the billion gui using its 192.168.168.x address ?

Have you tried a reset ( not a factory reset ) ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Junkman
Rising Star

@MisterW I had to delete the Wan service ethernet setting and start again and found that the Hub 2 had allocated a different IP address to the Billion.

I now have the Hub 2 connected to the internet, an ethernet cable from LAN 3 on the Hub 2 to the WAN port on the Billion and an ethernet cable from a LAN port on the Billion to my laptop.

AND MY LAPTOP IS CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET via that connection 😁

But I can't seem to get to the Billion gui anymore - it I enter the LAN IP address that the Hub 2 has given it, I don't get anything?  It asks for the username and password but then nothing just returns to that screen

Junkman
Rising Star

Now got to this - does it look right?  But no options in the left column so I can't get through to the Billion stats pages.  Reloaded a few times stays like that.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

But I can't seem to get to the Billion gui anymore -

From a device connected to the billion, you use the LAN IP that's set in the Billion, 192.168.168.x IIRC from earlier posts. Just like you did before the Hub 2 came into the picture.

it I enter the LAN IP address that the Hub 2 has given it, I don't get anything?

The Hub 2 assigns an IP address to the WAN port of the billion, you will not be able to access the billion gui using that.

If think about it like this , the WAN port of the Billion represents the outside world ( the internet in normal circumstances ) and you would not normally allow acces to its gui from the internet. The fact that the WAN port is now connected to the internet via a Hub 2 makes no difference, the Hub 2 is still the outside world and so no access to the billion gui is possible from anything connected directly to the Hub 2

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Junkman Now got to this - does it look right?

That looks absolutely right and what I was expecting.

But no options in the left column so I can't get through to the Billion stats pages.  

If you mean DSL stats like line speeds , then there arent any on the Billion, its not making the DSL connection now, the Hub 2 is. So to look at the DSL stats, you use the Hub 2 gui. Use the address 192.168.1.254 to get to the Hub 2 gui. That should work from either a device connected to the Billion or the Hub 2.

ISTR the line stats on the Hub 2 are shown in the Advanced settings, Technical log , maybe @Dan_the_Van can confirm

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 79

Advanced settings>Technical Log has the DSL connection details.
Advanced settings >Broadband gives you the public IP Address
Junkman
Rising Star

@MisterW @Dan_the_Van  I can't thank you enough for sticking with me through this as I would never have got there on my own. I've now reconnected my mesh system and all my devices seem to be connected and working OK.  I'm synced at 30.7 which is slightly lower than I was before I made all the connection breaks today.  Will see where the Hub 2 takes that (if anywhere).  Plusnet are scheduled to call me back next Monday so there's a bit of time for DLM to adjust back to where it was (for 2 years+ prior to April 13th) if it's going to. And if having the Hub 2 connected doesn't facilitate them sorting the line issue for me then I can just go back to where I was before.

Just need to tidy up all the connections now but will leave that until tomorrow as it's gonna mean another disconnect. 

Thanks again gents - and I hope this thread is useful for anyone else who might have a similar problem.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Junkman happy to help. I'm not sure we've completely finished yet until you've tested access to your virtual servers etc

but maybe that can wait a day or so...

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Junkman 

Also pleased to help, let me know if you get stuck with setting up port forward rules as I have a few on mine or any further Hub Two related questions.

Junkman
Rising Star

First problem gents.  How do I get this back?  I have a Fixed IP with Plusnet and it's linked to that, but these changes have stopped it working.  Most useful tool to monitor latency, packet drop and drop-outs. Looks like it was working when I first set up the new arrangement successfully but has lost it since?  Just checked and I'm still on that same fixed IP..... 

Ah - might have sorted it.  Hub 2 default is not to allow incoming pings

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Just checked and I'm still on that same fixed IP....

yes, the IP is associated with the account,so won't change with a router change

Ah - might have sorted it.  Hub 2 default is not to allow incoming pings

yep, that'll do it...

Junkman
Rising Star

Unfortunately it didn't.......
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Let me have a think, I assume it will keep till tomorrow

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

For BMQ to work you need to enable Incoming Pings found in Home >Advanced Settings >Firewall >Configuration look for

Screenshot 2024-05-14 205406.png

Edit: did you save the change ?