Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idiot's guide to bridge mode

FIXED
Junkman
Rising Star

Re: Idiot's guide to bridge mode

@MisterW thank you once again.  My Hub 2 arrives today and I will have a go thereafter.  Decided what I'm going to try to do is set up the DMZ option with my other router (Billion 8800NL).  Doing that I can go back to my current setup if I can't figure it out.  My spare router doesn't have the normal default LAN IP either

Just to summarise - the DMZ option allows Plusnet to carry out remote line checks and will still allow me to access line stats?

I don't need to change anything at all on the Billion but need to disable the wireless on the Hub 2 and add the Billion to the Hub 2 DMZ setting in the Hub 2 Firewall.   Do I just switch on DMZ then use my Billion's current LAN IP address in the Device box or does anything else need changing?

I think @Dan_the_Van said earlier he wasn't available today

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 408

Just to summarise - the DMZ option allows Plusnet to carry out remote line checks and will still allow me to access line stats?

@Junkman not quite, its the fact that the Hub2 is in its normal router mode (as opposed to bridge) that allows remote line checks and gui access. The DMZ just allows any insolictited input to be passed to the 8800 rather than have to add port forwards on the Hub 2.

I don't need to change anything at all on the Billion but need to disable the wireless on the Hub 2 and add the Billion to the Hub 2 DMZ setting in the Hub 2 Firewall.  

Yes

Do I just switch on DMZ then use my Billion's current LAN IP address in the Device box or does anything else need changing?

Not quite , the Billion will be allocated a WAN IP address in the 192.168.1.x subnet by the Hub 2. The Billion will then show up as a device in the Hub 2 network, add make that device the DMZ as shown in @Dan_the_Van s post

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Junkman
Rising Star

@MisterW thanks - I *think* I've got that.  We shall see later 😀 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Shout up if you need any help, and as Dan said , if there's any information that you dont want to put in a public post then feel free to PM me if Dan isnt available. If necessary I'll break out my Hub 2 so that I can help with Hub 2 gui problems

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 79

Thought I'd chek the thread, here is the wireless screen in Advanced settings

Screenshot_20240514-114700.png

Screen shot from my smart phone so it might look slightly different.

Make disable wireless Yes

HTH

Junkman
Rising Star

@MisterW @Dan_the_Van falling at an early hurdle guys. I set the Billion for IP over ethernet OK then connected it to the no.3 LAN port on the Hub 2. But the MAC address of what appeared there had the last character different to the MAC address on the back of my router. A 9 instead of a 6.

Added it in DMZ anyway. Billion still has no Internet access.

And the Hub 2 is telling me I also have 18 devices connected to LAN port 2 when nothing is plugged into that?

Edited to add that I'm now back on the Billion router and my sync speed has fallen below 16Mbps 😕

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

But the MAC address of what appeared there had the last character different to the MAC address on the back of my router. A 9 instead of a 6.

@Junkman that could well be correct. There will be > 1 MAC address associated with the 8800, one for the router as seen from the LAN, one for the wifi adapter and one for the EWAN port.

Does the 8800 show a connection for the Ethernet interface ( on the WAN status screen - manual page 39 ) and does it show an IPV4 address in the 192.168.1.x range ?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

and my sync speed has fallen below 16Mbps

@Junkman That's probably the DLM seeing the router swaps as line drops and attempting to compensate.

I suggest leaving it alone now for the rest of the day.

Did the Hub 2 led go blue ?

Junkman
Rising Star

@MisterW I can get to the router interface by using the IP address assigned to it by the Hub 2 but it isn't connected to the internet and there's no IPV4 address.  See screenshot attached

Edited to add that yes the Hub 2 light went blue I'm connected via it now

Edited again to add that the Hub 2 gui tells me that the Billion is connected

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Junkman if you have the Billion connected (to the DSL line) at the moment then lets leave it like that for the rest of the day to avoid the DLM reducing the rate any more.

You said you have a spare Billion ?

Lets set that up with the Ethernet WAN connection , then with the Hub 2 in standlone i.e disconnected from the phone line, connect it (the spare billion) to the Hub 2 and check that it gets allocated an IPV4 address on its WAN. If its correct , then you should be able to access the Hub 2 gui on 192.168.1.254 from a device connected to the Billion. NOte you wont get any internet access. That should at least prove that the billion WAN DHCP configuration is correct and then perhaps tomorrow, we can try connecting the Hub 2 back to the phone line and checking that internet access works.

edit: scrap that , I see you post above that the Hub 2 is connected to the phone line. Lets leave it like that for the moment

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Junkman from your screenshot above , thats not a 8800AXL its a 8800NL, so I'm looking at the wrong manual. Let me go and find the right one...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

@Junkman I've now got the right manual!. It looks like there's a 2nd configuration screen on the WAN service setup. Once you've configured the Ethernet WAN there's a NEXT button at the bottom of the screen which takes you to another screen (page 97 ) to select the interface to be used for IPV4/6. Make sure that the Ethernet interface is selected there and then go to the Status->WAN screen ( page 99 ) and post the screenshot.

Junkman
Rising Star

@MisterW so what do I do here?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Junkman You move the ipoe_eth4 interface to the LHS in both top and bottom boxes. My understanding is that it makes that interface (which is the new Ethernet one) available. i THINK you can leave the other ones there but if that still doesnt work i.e the Ethernet interface doesnt show connected in the status->WAN display,  then go back and move the existing ones to the RHS ( making them unavailable )

Junkman
Rising Star

I've now lost connection to the Billion completely.  Can't get to it via ethernet, wireless or via the Hub 2.  Hub 2 now telling me there are no devices connected even though there's a cable from the WAN port to Hub 2 port 3